E28 Fog Light Replacement Alternative

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Ripton

E28 Fog Light Replacement Alternative

Post by Ripton »

The fog lights I had were fine, cracked and cloudy, but for $450 was not interested in replacing them at the moment. BDKawey mentioned on another thread he thought the M3 E30 fogs would fit; and were significantly less expensive.

These directly replaced my OEM fogs on my 535is.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-fo ... 3171375067

I bought both the same side, and in a million years can not tell the difference when installed between them. If they ever get cracked again FCP will replace them free as long as they still sell them.

To make them yellow I bought one Lamin-x 6" x 12" sheet for $16 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006347Q8Q?ps ... ct_details

ALL-IN I replaced both for $140.36, really damn happy with that. Attached are some photos.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: E28 Fog Light Replacement Alternative

Post by Shawn D. »

Great info -- thanks for posting it!
ZINZ

Post by ZINZ »

Sooo... I bought these Hella foglight replacement lenses and they are too big to fit into my housings??? The Bosch lenses that are currently in the mounts fit perfectly, but they are a separate lens from the body of the reflector. The Hella units are one-piece.

Anyone else have this trouble? The Hella units will not fit...

This is on my US-spec, '88, 535i

Ed Z
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

ZINZ wrote: Oct 17, 2022 2:11 PM Sooo... I bought these Hella foglight replacement lenses and they are too big to fit into my housings??? The Bosch lenses that are currently in the mounts fit perfectly, but they are a separate lens from the body of the reflector. The Hella units are one-piece.

Ed Z
E30 M3 fog lenses are suitable for the IS air dam fog buckets. unable to confirm if they work for the hanging non air dam buckets. is that what you're trying to do?
ZINZ

Post by ZINZ »

BDKawey wrote: Oct 17, 2022 2:35 PM
ZINZ wrote: Oct 17, 2022 2:11 PM Sooo... I bought these Hella foglight replacement lenses and they are too big to fit into my housings??? The Bosch lenses that are currently in the mounts fit perfectly, but they are a separate lens from the body of the reflector. The Hella units are one-piece.

Ed Z
E30 M3 fog lenses are suitable for the IS air dam fog buckets. unable to confirm if they work for the hanging non air dam buckets. is that what you're trying to do?

I think I figured it out, Aaron... the Hella lenses I bought are for cars equipped with the airdam. My car does not, and uses the fogs mounted to the bottom of the bumper. I've now ordered the URO replacements...

Anyone want to buy my brand new Hellas? :)

Thanks

Ed
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Ed, how much do you want...or better yet, post a FS: 'is' fog lamp lenses in the for sale section and these will be removed from your storage area

The bumper dangling bosch fogs are different from the Hella fogs used in the air dam. there are a number of different part numbers for the air dam fog lens and they are handed with a left and right side.

Nice to see the lens can be used on the other side of the car.

Look at the lens pictures and the bucket and the lamp has the bulb bulge on one side of the lens and it should match the bulge in the bucket but if they fit both sides, that makes it easier to get a pair.

Looking at the part number supplied and the associated number 63171375050 for the other side lamp, these are available but it appears one needs to order from two different suppliers as autohausaz doesn't have the -49 and fcp doesn't have the -50 lens.

But at least we can get them and with fcps warranty, maybe keep them looking like new for years to come.

Don't forget to put some glass saving tape on them when you install them to prevent sand pits. Much more common on a lamp just off the road surface compared to the windshield. Even Scotch clear packing tape will help them look good longer.
ZINZ

Post by ZINZ »

I ordered the URO units and just installed them in my US spec, 535i. These are the under-bumper fog lights and came complete with lamps. Fit and function perfectly. I finally got smart and also applied clear protective wrap on them; hopefully, that will provide a little more life for them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWXXP3I?ps ... ct_details

Ed Z