GOOD NEWS... M5 E28 Windshiled Glass Availability......

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
gsidman

GOOD NEWS... M5 E28 Windshiled Glass Availability......

Post by gsidman »

My M5, which is undergoing a rather complete restoration, needs a new windshield. Having watched all the posts regarding availability problems, I was somewhat spooked. My own online searches also turned up zero. On a long shot I called our local auto glass replacement company. Danielle jumped online and found the last one in California, which will be here in about a week. It is the standard green-tint windshield, which she is sourcing from Mygrant Glass, a nationwide wholesaler. While online she noticed that Mygrant has inventory on these windshields at other US locations. I have already purchased all the BMW OEM rubber and inserts. With that in hand she quoted glass and installation at just under $300.

When I questioned the Chinese source, she said all glass is now manufactured in China, pretty much at the same factory. They have had no problems installing this glass and recently did an E28 with zero problems. The main problem is the shortage of inventory. Apparently the container ships are backed up and can't get unloaded.
Blue Shadow

Re: GOOD NEWS... M5 E28 Windshiled Glass Availability......

Post by Blue Shadow »

gsidman wrote: Sep 24, 2021 6:37 PM The main problem is the shortage of inventory. Apparently the container ships are backed up and can't get unloaded.
Seems Long Beach has 16 loads for each trucker that shows up to pull a container out of the stacks at this time. That can slow things down as they run out of space to stack containers.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

You're not getting a factory windshield which is what people are trying to get. You're at best getting a Funyao, which might sadly now be a BMW supplier, but they weren't for the E28. The availability people are concerned about is for the "factory glass" or Saint Gobain - Sekurit, which is not stuff that Mygrant glass is going to supply. There is still glass made in the US, France, Germany, Sweden and even Denmark, just look a the E codes on the glass, it will tell you where it was made.

I get livid when people offering an inferior product try to suggest that it's all made in the same place by the same people. It's funny when people would discuss the available windshields and various fitment issues and the only thing that seems to change is the brands get lower-end as time goes on. PPG, then Pilkington now Funyao or completely unmarked weirdo glass. Even the "SGS" windshields that Safelite installs (the house-blend as it were) used to be made in US, now it's China.

Of course they say they just did an E28 with zero problems. Introduce a new seal in the mix and things aren't going to go so swimmingly.
DJM1986-5

Post by DJM1986-5 »

I just checked on the Euro OE e28 glass because I wanted to waste time but couldn't resist the urge.... anyway...as suspected NLA and no plans- at this time - to produce. I've been told by a long time BMW collector to place as many orders as possible against an NLA part # and BMW may yield and produce when the money makes sense...which may take years...as Chris stated the Chinese glass is inferior, does not fit properly and results in leaks etc etc.
Sagi

Post by Sagi »

Israeli made glass. The E11 stand for UK production but I went to the factory to get it and they showed me the molds,l guess labeling is "flexible ".