which part of the idler arm is supposed to spin?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
oceanbass

which part of the idler arm is supposed to spin?

Post by oceanbass »

hi, trying to diagnose sticky/memory steer, along with a loud thunk when turning the wheels under load (i.e. a rough parking lot)

have the car in the air, turning the wheels doesn't show any visible problems with the steering situation. however the metal sleeve part of the idler arm is turning with the arm like this: Image

is that whole sleeve supposed to turn, or is it supposed to stay in place and the dark gray arm swinging around it? I have a replacement arm but no vice to hold it in place for testing things.

thanks in advance!
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: which part of the idler arm is supposed to spin?

Post by Shawn D. »

The outer sleeve is pressed into the arm and moves with it. The inner sleeve is fixed between the subframe and bracket and is supposed to not move. There's a bushing between the two.
Mike W.

Re: which part of the idler arm is supposed to spin?

Post by Mike W. »

And it should be bolted tight. Some people get a lot of stiffness in the bushing when it's new and think it should pivot smoothly and easily. The inner sleeve should be bolted down tight to the subframe. If steering it tight it will loosen in time.

Mine had a similar clunk when I got it at low speeds, I didn't notice it even on city streets. No clunk when jacked up. It was the steering box. I could loosen the adjustment and make it go away, but then it was loose. More than a little loose. I put a new/used steering box in. I might have tightened it slightly, but not excessively, I've played with boxes before without issues. In time, far from immediately, it started doing the same clunk. I put in another used steering box, it was a little loose, but didn't even go near the adjustment. It didn't clunk. I never tried taking the boxes apart to see what was going on.