Continental TR312UB-WH Head Unit Install Experience

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Joey28

Continental TR312UB-WH Head Unit Install Experience

Post by Joey28 »

My experience with head unit replacement:
For an early 80's car, I feel like the standard sound in the E28 isn't too bad. It's not great at all either, but it does the job. Unfortunately though when I bought my 1983 533i it came with a crappy aftermarket head unit. I REALLY like a good radio in any car I DD, so I swapped in one of the Continental Bluetooth head units. I really like it: it looks factory, orange illumination, works well, adds blueooth and hands-free capability, and seems to play nice with my factory speakers. I did have to put the main power on a relay, as it causes the dreaded brake light warning and radio blips out when you hit the brakes if you have power tapped straight off the original wire(wtf with this wiring setup?).
I like this car stock, and am keeping the stock speakers, but this head unit is a nice compromise with modernity.
muleskinner

Re: Continental TR312UB-WH Head Unit Install Experience

Post by muleskinner »

Several people have installed this HU in the last couple of years. It looks really good, and is very reasonably priced.

You should definitely upgrade the factory speakers. They're 38 year old crapped out paper cones. There are many options available for very reasonable prices, easy and invisible install. Modern speakers are typically made of some type of propylene or other long lasting material.You'll be amazed at the upgrade in sound quality.
anchored

Post by anchored »

I went with a unique approach in my e24.

- Flipped the LCD polarity.
- Changed the LED color to orange.
- Removed the unnecessary writing
- 3d modeled and printed a flush mount. (this would have been a million times easier on an e28)
- The screen below is an engine temp gauge.
Last edited by anchored on May 31, 2021 12:59 AM, edited 4 times in total.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

anchored wrote: May 29, 2021 10:55 PM I went with a unique approach in my e24.
Nice classy looking clock, but personally I really like the OBC. However it's your car, so what you like is what counts.
anchored

Post by anchored »

I Like the OBC, but I use a battery shut off and never bothered to reset it after each shut off. I have this clock wired up always stay on.