A/C vs non A/C radiator

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Kapt

A/C vs non A/C radiator

Post by Kapt »

Real OEM lists two part numbers for a manual 535 radiator depending on whether it has A/C or no A/C. (17111712447 vs 17111712445)
Anyone know the difference? I have a euro non A/C car with a brass/copper radiator that I might get repaired but I’m looking at other options too.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: A/C vs non A/C radiator

Post by Shawn D. »

I don't know of any difference, and it really shouldn't matter, and an automatic radiator will work too. Just don't expect to be getting an all-metal radiator no matter what you choose.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Current general consensus is Nissens is better that Behr right now.
There are stainless steel versions out there as well but will come at a premium.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

vinceg101 wrote: May 09, 2021 11:35 AM Current general consensus is Nissens is better that Behr right now.
There are stainless steel versions out there as well but will come at a premium.
Might you mean aluminum? I've seen those at both reasonable and very expensive prices. Given that E28s don't use crazy hot operating temps like later BMWs the plastic tanked Nissens is perfectly adequate.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Mike W. wrote: May 09, 2021 1:58 PM
vinceg101 wrote: May 09, 2021 11:35 AM Current general consensus is Nissens is better that Behr right now.
Might you mean aluminum? I've seen those at both reasonable and very expensive prices. Given that E28s don't use crazy hot operating temps like later BMWs the plastic tanked Nissens is perfectly adequate.
Yes, I stand corrected: Aluminum
As in Wizard Cooling's version here: https://wizardcooling.com/1987-88-bmw-e ... -radiator/
(Which is NOT cheap and only for the M5)
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I'm seeing a Wizard at the big A for a 535 for a similar price. https://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Cooling-B ... 5+BMW+535i

Regardless, the Nissens is the route I'd go.
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

If you did not have overheating issues prior and you can get your current radiator repaired/rebuilt locally. I’m assuming it is leaking. I would just do that.
Edit: rebuilt locally if it is indeed all metal brass/copper.

If you cannot, used OE or brand new Nissens is the way to go.
Last edited by LeiseyJr on May 14, 2021 7:41 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

LeiseyJr wrote: May 14, 2021 7:25 PM If you did not have overheating issues prior and you can get your current radiator repaired/rebuilt locally. I’m assuming it is leaking. I would just do that.
While I haven't had one done myself, a couple of earlier BMWs I've had were recored. As far as I can tell they were better than new. But I think that only applies on the classic copper/brass, not Al/plastic.
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

I've not seen a BMW radiator that can be rebuilt on these 80's cars the old fashion solder/brazing way. They are easily damaged beyond any reasonable repair. The repairs I have seen or done are... broken hose nipple to the expansion tank thread in a nipple and epoxy(sort of an emergency only thing), replace the seals on leaking heat exchanger for an automatic, and I once replaced the big o-ring on the tank seals of an e30 (not difficult but hard to find 20 years ago).
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

tn535i wrote: May 18, 2021 1:53 PM I've not seen a BMW radiator that can be rebuilt on these 80's cars the old fashion solder/brazing way. They are easily damaged beyond any reasonable repair. The repairs I have seen or done are... broken hose nipple to the expansion tank thread in a nipple and epoxy(sort of an emergency only thing), replace the seals on leaking heat exchanger for an automatic, and I once replaced the big o-ring on the tank seals of an e30 (not difficult but hard to find 20 years ago).
They're rare, but I have seen and even had on my 535i when I got it, a copper/brass radiator. I've also heard of the plastic aluminum tanks being removed to rod out the radiator, but that was when they were 10 years old not 40, I doubt old plastic would be so forgiving.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I wanted to have the side tanks on a radiator re-sealed, but the guy at the radiator shop told me it was more likely the old plastic would crumble or distort when released from the core, and that in his experience it wasn't worth the trouble. This was about 2 years ago with a 1984 radiator. New tanks weren't available so the solution was to swap the whole radiator with something I could make work.
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »