Jack up my M535i

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Alberto89

Jack up my M535i

Post by Alberto89 »

I was able to buy a set of bbs style 5, and want to mount it under my M535i. What is the best and safest way to jack it up with a garage jack? I don't want to jack it up on the original jacking points because I'm afraid I will damage my sills. What is a hard and good jack point?
Chimi-Changa

Re: Jack up my M535i

Post by Chimi-Changa »

Hallo!

Good news! this has been discussed much in the past here, and one member has made and sells pads designed for such.

https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?p=1 ... 4#p1486630
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

Thanks for the tip! Certainly a good solution. Would like to buy them, but they are sold out I see. Can the car still be lifted somewhere on the chassis?
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

If you have a Mtech body kit (which I guess you have since it's a M535i) you'll have to use those pads but on the jacking points added with the kit, not on the sill.
Personally, I jack the car up from the subframes (either the front or the rear one)
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

Alberto89 wrote: May 06, 2021 8:49 AM I was able to buy a set of bbs style 5, and want to mount it under my M535i. What is the best and safest way to jack it up with a garage jack? I don't want to jack it up on the original jacking points because I'm afraid I will damage my sills. What is a hard and good jack point?
https://www.racegerman.com/product-page/e30-jack-pad
Or
Get a piece of wood and go on the frame rail for the front. Jack up from the diff in the back and you can get both rear wheels in the air (use a wheel chalk)
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

LeiseyJr wrote: May 06, 2021 11:30 AM
Alberto89 wrote: May 06, 2021 8:49 AM I was able to buy a set of bbs style 5, and want to mount it under my M535i. What is the best and safest way to jack it up with a garage jack? I don't want to jack it up on the original jacking points because I'm afraid I will damage my sills. What is a hard and good jack point?
Or
Get a piece of wood and go on the frame rail for the front. Jack up from the diff in the back and you can get both rear wheels in the air (use a wheel chalk)
Couldn't agree more with this. You dont need anything fancy, just raise it up until the wheel starts dragging inward a bit and then lower it a touch, so the wheel cant turn, and undo the wheel studs, then raise it and remove the wheel. Put the new wheel on, do up the studs evenly, lower it a bit until its just on the ground, then tighten it using a torque wrench, not a burp gun. The most important thing is to get the studs torque even, so the wheel runs true.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

Ju@n wrote: May 06, 2021 11:11 AM If you have a Mtech body kit (which I guess you have since it's a M535i) you'll have to use those pads but on the jacking points added with the kit, not on the sill.
Personally, I jack the car up from the subframes (either the front or the rear one)
Hi,

That's right. M package. I know where the normal jack points are. Thanks for thinking along. So subframe is allowed?
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

Or
It will not harm the mounting points of the differential?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Alberto89 wrote: May 06, 2021 3:08 PM
Or
Given that I've had a couple of diff mounts break, I use the subframe in front of the diff rather than the diff itself. Jacking under the diff won't hurt it, but it might damage the diff mount.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

Mike W. wrote: May 06, 2021 3:19 PM
Or
Given that I've had a couple of diff mounts break, I use the subframe in front of the diff rather than the diff itself. Jacking under the diff won't hurt it, but it might damage the diff mount.
Okay, thanks.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Mike W. wrote: May 06, 2021 3:19 PM
Or
The subframe is fragile and easily damaged. If the diff mount fails when jacking under the diff (which distributes the load anyway), then it was going to fail anyway during day to day use. I suppose one should philosophically look at this as pre-empting that inevitable failure.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

JohnH wrote: May 06, 2021 11:08 PM
The subframe is fragile and easily damaged. If the diff mount fails when jacking under the diff (which distributes the load anyway), then it was going to fail anyway during day to day use. I suppose one should philosophically look at this as pre-empting that inevitable failure.
I respectfully, but vehemently disagree. The subframe is pretty beefy there in the middle, it has to be to withstand the torquing action of the drivetrain.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

Or
This are the same for the e28?
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Mike W. wrote: May 06, 2021 11:47 PM
JohnH wrote: May 06, 2021 11:08 PM
I respectfully, but vehemently disagree. The subframe is pretty beefy there in the middle, it has to be to withstand the torquing action of the drivetrain.
The subframe isnt a beefy structure at all. Its hollow and made of 1.5mm steel or so and is very easily dented by by a badly placed jack or jack stand. The strongest part of the structure is the section that bolts to the diff, so putting a jack under the diff is actually using the subframes attributes and not its weaknesses. As I said, if the rear mount fails because of jacking the diff, it was going to fail anyway.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

One wheel at a time
Front--frame rails
Rear--subframe bushings just in front of the wheel

Both wheels on the end
Front--subframe behind oil pan
Rear--diff

I will not use the 'jack points' anymore. These are flimsy sheet metal designed to buckle under the weight of the car on a jack unless the load is spread a good foot or two along the structure.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

I have decided not to use them. I'd rather go to a garage where they could lift hydraulically. Thank you all for the tips.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Many garages put the lift arms at the jacking points and damage the car. Be demanding that the arm lift the frame rails up front and the subframe bushing locations in back or some other part of the car that will support the weight.

Last place I would go is some shop that don't know shit about these cars.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

I will be there and certainly indicate in advance!
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Alberto89 wrote: May 06, 2021 9:42 AMCan the car still be lifted somewhere on the chassis?
Nope, once you've got a flat tire or whatnot, that's it -- you have to scrap the car. :laugh:
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

How close are you to Franeker?

Ivo knows a thing or two about E28s :cool:

https://www.e28.nl/en/

Stay safe and best regards,

Mick
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

I have known Ivo for about 14-15 years. Unfortunately we do not live close to each other. - + 400 km 😞