Clutch Pedal withdraw rate

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
topher800

Clutch Pedal withdraw rate

Post by topher800 »

After some work, incluing under the dash in the pedal box area, the clutch doesn't return home properly. At first it doesn't leave the floor, then once it starts it comes up too fast. It's been a loooong time since I looked like gumby in first gear, but I'm having a hard time driving this.

The BenGerman clutch center over spring had to be reinstalled. I am wondering if it got "adjusted" some how. Or if something didn't get reinstalled [correctly]. We did a total flush of the master/slave cylinders but the problem is persisting. Any thoughts before I break my back under the dash?
Mike W.

Re: Clutch Pedal withdraw rate

Post by Mike W. »

The preload on the helper spring can affect it, but mostly at the very top. But I'd try adjusting that and taking some of the preload out and see what happens. Could it be you just got so used to a bad feel now that it's working right you need to acclimate to it?
RonW

Re: Clutch Pedal withdraw rate

Post by RonW »

topher800 wrote: Apr 11, 2021 3:44 PMThe BenGerman clutch center over spring had to be reinstalled. I am wondering if it got "adjusted" some how. Or if something didn't get reinstalled [correctly]. We did a total flush of the master/slave cylinders but the problem is persisting. Any thoughts before I break my back under the dash?
I had a problem like that when I installed the new improved over center helper spring. It fixed itself: viewtopic.php?p=1461416#p1461416