Holy Grail Labs - Blade Fuse Upgrade Kits

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
jc72

Re: Holy Grail Labs - Blade Fuse Upgrade Kits

Post by jc72 »

Just installed mine this afternoon and wanted to thank you for a great product. The most tedious part was removing the old fuse holders from the box but the install was easier than I expected. :thanks:
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

jc72 wrote: Sep 06, 2022 12:17 AM Just installed mine this afternoon and wanted to thank you for a great product. The most tedious part was removing the old fuse holders from the box but the install was easier than I expected. :thanks:
Thanks you! Always happy to hear installs went well.
Cannabis9478

Post by Cannabis9478 »

Sorry for the late reply but I have installed mine earlier in the year.
Thanks for making this prodcut. Very happy and I don't have to worry about bad fuse connections ever.
Highly recommended!!
twin55

Post by twin55 »

Installed mine Holy Grail on 10/21/2021 :up: :thanks:
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Looks great! The fuse puller is a nice touch
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Our assembly robot hurt itself today - looks like some of the servo wiring to the gantry fatigued out while I was pushing it a bit and the vertical axis isn't functioning. I was warned this "happens every so often" by the guy I bought it from so it's not entirely unexpected, but I didn't think it would go from working to busted this quickly. Frustrating but not the end of the world.

However, the manufacturing line is down until I can get the repairs done which will have to wait until I've taken my PhD qualifying exam later this month. I'd guess we're looking at a 6-8 week delay for orders placed through the HGL website.

Nothing ever breaks when it would be convenient; such is life.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Folks should understand that endeavors like the one Y'all have going are niche and are not built to have redundant systems in place, nor should they. Doing so would only drive up the cost of the low-production parts. A short wait for these is not a big deal, given the fact that decades have gone by with no viable alternative in the first place.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Thanks Shawn - I don't think everyone realizes all the manufacturing is done by a grad student in a garage.
I'm pretty frustrated but I don't think it'll end up being a major setback. I did end up having to place >2500 resistors by hand with tweezers yesterday for a sponsorship project which was exactly as fun as you imagine.
jayjaya29

Post by jayjaya29 »

Good luck with your PhD entry exam. I flunked out before I got to mine.
Panici

Post by Panici »

Shawn D. wrote: Oct 01, 2022 9:57 AM Folks should understand that endeavors like the one Y'all have going are niche and are not built to have redundant systems in place, nor should they. Doing so would only drive up the cost of the low-production parts. A short wait for these is not a big deal, given the fact that decades have gone by with no viable alternative in the first place.
Well said.

Good luck on your exam Galahad!
EE TWO EIGHT

Post by EE TWO EIGHT »

When will these ba available again for the 85 E28?
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

EE TWO EIGHT wrote: Oct 05, 2022 9:55 PM When will these ba available again for the 85 E28?
I'd guess before December but I'm not sure - depends on how hard fixing the robot is.
EE TWO EIGHT

Post by EE TWO EIGHT »

Thanks and please let me know and ill order one.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Small update: I passed my PhD Qualifying Exam!
Also I've started fixing the robot, see the repair thread here if you're interested.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Galahad wrote: Oct 24, 2022 2:07 AM Small update: I passed my PhD Qualifying Exam!
Congratulations!
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Galahad wrote: Oct 24, 2022 2:07 AM Small update: I passed my PhD Qualifying Exam!
Congrats!!
jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

Congrats on the PhD!
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

jimoreno wrote: Oct 24, 2022 9:05 AM Congrats on the PhD!
Oh I haven't gotten there yet, still have the dissertation to do haha! I just passed the part that allows me to actually do a dissertation
jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

Oh yes, you are correct. The wife had 2 more courses to do just before the same point and then we got transferred due to my work. Unfortunate as she was killing it (she has a master in counseling and was going for her PhD)
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Also I've started fixing the robot, see the repair thread here if you're interested.
:clap: :up: :up: 💪💪
Panici

Post by Panici »

Congratulations!
:clap: :clap:
EIP11

Post by EIP11 »

Congrats! Quick question - I'm looking to purchase one of these and was wondering if a "fuse tap" would work/fit with your board installed? The radio wiring in my car was destroyed so I ended up having to run a power wire directly to the fuse box, the "fuse tap" with this style board would be a better solution than my current soldering job. Please let me know. Thanks!
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

So, now the REAL work begins... Good Luck, Sir Galahad.

You may commence to Piling, High AND Deep!
:]

Andy
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

EIP11 wrote: Nov 04, 2022 9:03 PM
Congrats! Quick question - I'm looking to purchase one of these and was wondering if a "fuse tap" would work/fit with your board installed? The radio wiring in my car was destroyed so I ended up having to run a power wire directly to the fuse box, the "fuse tap" with this style board would be a better solution than my current soldering job. Please let me know. Thanks!
It would work and I have used them in the past, but those aren't generally very good solutions. I can get you a blade fuse insert for the accessory fuse box if you're interested.
MisterFixit wrote: Nov 05, 2022 2:32 PM So, now the REAL work begins... Good Luck, Sir Galahad.

You may commence to Piling, High AND Deep!
:]

Andy
Thanks!
EIP11

Post by EIP11 »

Galahad wrote: Nov 05, 2022 8:58 PM
EIP11 wrote: Nov 04, 2022 9:03 PM
It would work and I have used them in the past, but those aren't generally very good solutions. I can get you a blade fuse insert for the accessory fuse box if you're interested.
That would be great, I'll send you a PM. Thanks!