Holy Grail Labs - Blade Fuse Upgrade Kits

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
1st 5er

Re: Holy Grail Labs - Blade Fuse Upgrade Kits

Post by 1st 5er »

:wave:
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Open question: Who would want a Mini-Box Upgrade Kit?
No LEDs, just two blade fuse holders. Pic of the prototype:
ImageMini box by Holy Grail Labs, on Flickr
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

1st 5er wrote: Nov 11, 2022 1:10 PM:wave:
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

:wave:
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Galahad wrote: Nov 11, 2022 10:23 PM Open question: Who would want a Mini-Box Upgrade Kit?
No LEDs, just two blade fuse holders.
I would! If both fuse boxes are upgraded, this would obviate the need to carry different types of spares.
Machtig

Post by Machtig »

In for mini as well.
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Galahad wrote: Nov 11, 2022 10:23 PM Open question: Who would want a Mini-Box Upgrade Kit?
I guess it depends on the price! But I'd be in for one for the same reason as Shawn describes.
socalM5

Post by socalM5 »

I would like one
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Short update on manufacturing:
All the first round of parts arrived, unfortunately I got part-way through assembly and realized the wires I specced (18ga) wouldn't fit the displayport connectors so I had to design and order adapter boards (which will make my life easier in the long run at least). I'm expecting those to arrive some time this week, hopefully everything goes smoothly and I'll be able to start shipping the backlog this weekend.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Quick update: I have the parts to temporarily fix the robot but I am going to be out of town this weekend for a family funeral and next week is finals week. I will have current orders shipped by the end of the calendar year. If you're looking to order between now and January, both Angry Ass (USA) and Ivo Christov (e28.nl, EU) have a limited number in stock.
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Better late than sorry, bought mine a looong time ago, and only just got around to install it.
Small comment, i'd bought another fusebox, and did the "destroying" on that one. It's not so bad to depin the relays and swap the fusebox, only thing is, I tried swapping one wire at a time, both fuseboxes side by side, and I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's a lot harder than just yanking all and connecting from 0.
Thanks Galahad!! Awesome product.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Ju@n wrote: Dec 11, 2022 9:17 PM Better late than sorry, bought mine a looong time ago, and only just got around to install it.
Small comment, i'd bought another fusebox, and did the "destroying" on that one. It's not so bad to depin the relays and swap the fusebox, only thing is, I tried swapping one wire at a time, both fuseboxes side by side, and I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's a lot harder than just yanking all and connecting from 0.
Thanks Galahad!! Awesome product.
You're welcome! Always happy to see successful installs!
We're trying to come up with ways to make installation easier but there's not much short of making entire replacement boxes...
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Agree, it's not that hard of a thing to install, but I was a bit wary of the destruction part, it was much better out of the car, but you then introduce the depin. So I guess it's one or the other haha.
It's a pitty the fusebox did not come as a pluggable part of the car on our e28s.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Ju@n wrote: Dec 11, 2022 10:33 PM Agree, it's not that hard of a thing to install, but I was a bit wary of the destruction part, it was much better out of the car, but you then introduce the depin. So I guess it's one or the other haha.
It's a pitty the fusebox did not come as a pluggable part of the car on our e28s.
Porsche 928s have fuse / relay panels that are all done with plugs, easy swap. Problem is the engineers were on drugs and made all but about 5 of the 200+ wires gray so I wouldn't call it an improvement haha
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Galahad wrote: Dec 11, 2022 11:04 PM
Ju@n wrote: Dec 11, 2022 10:33 PM Agree, it's not that hard of a thing to install, but I was a bit wary of the destruction part, it was much better out of the car, but you then introduce the depin. So I guess it's one or the other haha.
Porsche 928s have fuse / relay panels that are all done with plugs, easy swap. Problem is the engineers were on drugs and made all but about 5 of the 200+ wires gray so I wouldn't call it an improvement haha
Hahaha that sounds like aircraft wiring
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Question, super anal mode: Where do you source the fuses from? I'd like to get a 10A for fuse 8 and replace the 2 7.5 I burnt. And I'd like them to match (the ones I can get locally are the "translucent" type
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Ju@n wrote: Dec 13, 2022 11:01 AM Question, super anal mode: Where do you source the fuses from? I'd like to get a 10A for fuse 8 and replace the 2 7.5 I burnt. And I'd like them to match (the ones I can get locally are the "translucent" type
I include Littelfuse brand fuses, I buy them from Mouser / DigiKey but they are available other places as well.
BRRV
Location: Colorado High Plains / formerly The Lone Star State

Post by BRRV »

E28 mini box: yes.

I installed my blade box months ago, never posted.. works just great. I swear the car runs better, at least it seems to be less finicky electrically. I upped the fuses for the radio, the keyless entry.. I think that was it. No issues at all, likely the best overall 'upgrade' I've ever done to the car, except for maybe the full R134a retrofit on the AC. (The gauges, along with a cluster rebuild from Palo Alto, work better, although I think I have a bad water temp gauge itself, as it 'hangs' above mid section [12] if it get's that far.. the only fix is to shut the car off and restart it, and it drops back to it's usual place. Well, I've been chasing this issue for almost a decade now, at least I now know what it is!)
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I've finally finished for the fall semester - I got my grading for the cryptography final done today. The kids this year came up with new and interesting ways to do math wrong as they usually do. I should be able to get to fixing the robot over break
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Galahad wrote: Dec 13, 2022 4:31 PM
Ju@n wrote: Dec 13, 2022 11:01 AM Question, super anal mode: Where do you source the fuses from? I'd like to get a 10A for fuse 8 and replace the 2 7.5 I burnt. And I'd like them to match (the ones I can get locally are the "translucent" type
I include Littelfuse brand fuses, I buy them from Mouser / DigiKey but they are available other places as well.
thx!!!
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I got my robot through the homing process, everything is working again! I'll see how many boards I can get built tomorrow.
It's a temporary fix but it should hold until the summer when I can finish the repair project.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Good news! I finished QCing nearly 20 boards today, they'll go out with tomorrow's mail which almost catches up on existing orders.
I ran out of parts so a few orders will have to wait until the new boards arrive, but the big manufacturing delay is over!
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

is this a replacement for Part No. 61131373433??

(#10 on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=61_0594) ???

I AM SO DOWN FOR IT :rockon:
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Foonfer wrote: Jan 08, 2023 11:36 PM
is this a replacement for Part No. 61131373433??

(#10 on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=61_0594) ???

I AM SO DOWN FOR IT :rockon:
Similar to the regular fuse boards, this would be a replacement assembly for the fuse holders in a reused housing, but yes it's for #10 in that image.

I'm playing a bit of catch up at the moment (school, finishing building backorders today and tomorrow, life otherwise happening), this is still on my list of things to get done. IIRC I was having issues with the fuses being too tall for the cover when I checked, I'll need to think a bit and see what percolates.
Cannabis9478

Post by Cannabis9478 »

Hi, would someone please educate me what's the mini fusebox for? My car wans't quite factory, non cat and RHD and I don't see a mini fuse box next to the factory fuse box. Thanks