Holy Grail Labs - Blade Fuse Upgrade Kits

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Ju@n

Re: Holy Grail Labs - Blade Fuse Upgrade Kits

Post by Ju@n »

Galahad wrote: Mar 27, 2023 8:54 PM
thugginrobby wrote: Mar 27, 2023 6:02 PM

The fuse that is for the Hazard switch, obc, etc. I made a new ground on the bracket that holds the coolant reservoir but I made the ground on the flat surface near the threaded hole.
Fuse 5? Central locking blowing 7.5A fuses in F5 is a somewhat common issue
I'd add that as a warning in the initial post, so people stop blowing fuses unnecessarily :laugh:
Or just install a 10A fuse when you ship it haha
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

[/quote]
Yeah 02s are on the list, can you reach out to the support email and send a picture of your fuse box?
[/quote]
I don’t seem to be able locate the e-Mail address anywhere? I’m sure I’m missing it somewhere but could you point me in the right direction please.
Thank you
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

PhilC wrote: Mar 28, 2023 2:26 PM I don’t seem to be able locate the e-Mail address anywhere? I’m sure I’m missing it somewhere but could you point me in the right direction please.
Thank you
sorry, it's support at holy grail labs dot com - trying to keep the amount of spam crap to a minimum
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

I applaud your efforts on the E28 and 2002 fuse boxes, Galahad! I drove a '72 for decades... and loved it to death!

'02 on the list- question:
For the 02 fuse box, I know there were two- 6 fuses and 12 fuses. Has PhilC indicated which one he is sending pics of???
I can send pictures of the 12 fuse version, I have a full wire harness from a later car. I am glad to send you a picture if that would be helpful.

Andy
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

MisterFixit wrote: Mar 30, 2023 11:30 AM I applaud your efforts on the E28 and 2002 fuse boxes, Galahad! I drove a '72 for decades... and loved it to death!

'02 on the list- question:
For the 02 fuse box, I know there were two- 6 fuses and 12 fuses. Has PhilC indicated which one he is sending pics of???
I can send pictures of the 12 fuse version, I have a full wire harness from a later car. I am glad to send you a picture if that would be helpful.

Andy
He sent pics of a 12 fuse box - I've got a pretty good idea how to move forward, just need to figure out how many different 12 fuse boxes were used and what the changes are.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Unfortunately I'm not at Vintage, but we're offering 10% off our Blade Fuse kits for the event - use the code Vintage2023 at checkout. You don't even have to attend the event to get the deal!
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Just a quick update - I found a manufacturing partner for the fuse boards and have confirmed they meet our quality standards! I'm waiting on the first batch of new units to arrive; shipments for orders placed now will be delayed about a month.
torin.kw

Post by torin.kw »

Galahad wrote: Apr 08, 2021 2:09 AM E28 Retrofit Kits are available for purchase!

Buy One Here!

Also available for E21

Upgrade your flakey, melty, and unreliable E12, E23, E24, or E28 fuse box.

Address one of the biggest causes of electrical problems in your classic BMW—the ancient and unreliable torpedo fuses. Our kit upgrades your E12, E23, E24, or E28 to modern, reliable blade-style fuses.
  • Lower total resistance and won't lose spring pressure over time
  • Prevents melty
  • LEDs show green for any circuit with power; red if the fuse is missing or blown
  • LEDs can be disabled via a switch
  • Includes sockets for four spare fuses
  • Fits under the stock fuse box cover
  • Includes a full set of blade style fuses
IMPORTANT: This kit requires the modification of the fuse box by removing the bullet (torpedo) fuse holders. Once the torpedo fuse holders are removed the new circuit board drops into the existing slots through the plastic.

The "E28 Blade Fuse Box Upgrade Kit" is compatible with
  • All BMW E12 models
  • All BMW E23 models built before September 1982
  • All BMW E24 models built before September 1982
  • All BMW E28 models
E28 Blade Fuse Box Upgrade Kit Installation Manual

E28 Blade Fuse Retrofit Kit Install Walkthrough Video

Product Photos:

ImageImage

----------Original post below----------

Hi everybody,
I've been working on a blade fuse retrofit kit for e28 fuse boxes for a number of months now and it's high time I made my own thread about it. I'm very close to a final version and will be posting updates here as progress is made.
I'd like to thank @cek for offering up his cars as guinea pigs - his input has been invaluable for improving the final product.
Quick specs:
Compatible with standard / mini / low-profile blade fuses (no longer applies from 5/28/23 onwards, I had to make a change to support manufacturing efforts)
Works with both Euro and US cars
Lower total resistance and won't lose spring pressure over time
Indicator LEDs to identify blown fuses
Does require modifying the fuse box by removing the bullet fuse holders, but drops into the existing slots through the plastic
Fits under the stock fuse box cover

Here's a photo of the current prototype:

See the installation here.

Let me know if you have any questions.
-Galahad
Hi, i recently installed the blade fuse kit into my 535is and it’s working great with only a couple issues, including the rpm gauge being unresponsive, the gauge light and power locks not working. I feel I must have switched some connectors around on accident when re plugging them into the bottom of the fusebox chassis but can’t seem to find which ones i would have switched, and was wondering if there is some method to finding which connectors may be the issue?
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

torin.kw wrote: Jun 06, 2023 8:51 PM Hi, i recently installed the blade fuse kit into my 535is and it’s working great with only a couple issues, including the rpm gauge being unresponsive, the gauge light and power locks not working. I feel I must have switched some connectors around on accident when re plugging them into the bottom of the fusebox chassis but can’t seem to find which ones i would have switched, and was wondering if there is some method to finding which connectors may be the issue?
Tach and power locks are both on fuse 5, gauge lights are on fuse 9 best I can tell - do you have the ETM for your car?
torin.kw

Post by torin.kw »

Thank you, I don’t have ETM but i’ve been looking for it for a while now.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

torin.kw wrote: Jun 11, 2023 2:48 PM Thank you, I don’t have ETM but i’ve been looking for it for a while now.
Download the one for your car here
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Galahad wrote: May 28, 2023 12:07 AM Just a quick update - I found a manufacturing partner for the fuse boards and have confirmed they meet our quality standards! I'm waiting on the first batch of new units to arrive; shipments for orders placed now will be delayed about a month.
We're back in stock, and I've shipped out the back orders
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Received mine a few days ago! Looking forward to getting it installed.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Just finished installing and I love the results. Follow the instructions for installing and watch the video. It is a seemingly difficult operation but the video is accurate enough to eliminate challenges.

Took 3.5 hours with the assistance of a spare fuse box and a system using small colored zip ties to bundle wires of a row together. Took a few zipties for some rows but starting with the first row as red, every successive row followed ROYGBV.

I am looking to pass the fuse box and some spare zipties on to anyone doing the upgrade- $25 plus shipping.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Bonsaibacker wrote: Jul 20, 2023 8:49 PM Just finished installing and I love the results. Follow the instructions for installing and watch the video. It is a seemingly difficult operation but the video is accurate enough to eliminate challenges.

Took 3.5 hours with the assistance of a spare fuse box and a system using small colored zip ties to bundle wires of a row together. Took a few zipties for some rows but starting with the first row as red, every successive row followed ROYGBV.

I am looking to pass the fuse box and some spare zipties on to anyone doing the upgrade- $25 plus shipping.
Happy to hear install went well!
The zip tie idea is genius, I've been trying to come up with something like that.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Bonsaibacker wrote: Jul 20, 2023 8:49 PMTook 3.5 hours with the assistance of a spare fuse box and a system using small colored zip ties to bundle wires of a row together. Took a few zipties for some rows but starting with the first row as red, every successive row followed ROYGBV.
Great idea! I have some spare zip ties like that from when I replaced my Tacoma’s engine a couple years ago (marking all the electrical and vacuum connections), so I’m definitely gonna do that too.
Kerrvillian

Post by Kerrvillian »

I've got one of these kits in my '85 524TD and it's been such an upgrade over the crappy torpedo fuses. I ordered mine Memorial Day weekend, so I guess I got one of the last ones before they went out of stock recently.

I did my wire removal in sections and took detailed photos on my phone as I did so. Several of the old terminals were very loose or had melted wires from crap connections for years and years. If you're installing one of these kits, replace any suspect terminal! If you put a burnt/loose terminal back on, you'll have a hot connection despite the improved ATC fuses.

I also have H4 lights fitted to my car to replace the original sealed beams and had to upsize Fuse 7 and 8 to 10A. Otherwise, the 7.5A high beam fuse would pop every time you flashed or switched to high beam. Interestingly, the 8A fuses in the torpedo box didn't do this, so it must have been right on the threshold of what they could handle.

One minor gripe: Include some printed instructions! My phone is usually not with me when I work on my cars and printing a couple pages of instructions with some diagrams or photos wouldn't cost but a few cents. Just a suggestion!
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Kerrvillian wrote: Jul 22, 2023 11:25 AM I've got one of these kits in my '85 524TD and it's been such an upgrade over the crappy torpedo fuses. I ordered mine Memorial Day weekend, so I guess I got one of the last ones before they went out of stock recently.

I did my wire removal in sections and took detailed photos on my phone as I did so. Several of the old terminals were very loose or had melted wires from crap connections for years and years. If you're installing one of these kits, replace any suspect terminal! If you put a burnt/loose terminal back on, you'll have a hot connection despite the improved ATC fuses.

I also have H4 lights fitted to my car to replace the original sealed beams and had to upsize Fuse 7 and 8 to 10A. Otherwise, the 7.5A high beam fuse would pop every time you flashed or switched to high beam. Interestingly, the 8A fuses in the torpedo box didn't do this, so it must have been right on the threshold of what they could handle.

One minor gripe: Include some printed instructions! My phone is usually not with me when I work on my cars and printing a couple pages of instructions with some diagrams or photos wouldn't cost but a few cents. Just a suggestion!
You were one of the last ones before the current batch, we are back in stock at the moment.

I agree on replacing bad terminals, they cause the same issue as loose connections to the torpedo fuses.

The torpedo fuses are rated as "indefinite carrying capacity" while the ATO fuses are rated as "will blow" - the 0.5A rating difference isn't the issue, the change in meaning is. There's some good discussion about it in the fuse #5 thread.

Including printed instructions is a good suggestion, I'll look into it.
325racer

Post by 325racer »

Just ordered one last weekend, what is delivery schedule looking like?

Hoping this will reduce some of the electrical gremlins I have in my old 528e
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

325racer wrote: Aug 19, 2023 1:06 AM Just ordered one last weekend, what is delivery schedule looking like?

Hoping this will reduce some of the electrical gremlins I have in my old 528e
Thanks for the order, I just boxed it up - I was on vacation this week. Hope it'll fix your problems too!
325racer

Post by 325racer »

Thanks,

Saw the shipping notification. One issue I know it will fix is my lights and antenna. Determined both were due to flaking fuse connections.

Might fix HVAC fan, but I think that's a seized motor I need to replace or unstuck.
325racer

Post by 325racer »

Got mine installed today. Car starts up, radio works, roof, windows, and most stuff, but I must have mucked something up with headlights and turn signals as those aren't working. Will have to look things over on Sunday.
325racer

Post by 325racer »

I would if I knew what mine did! I think it used to power an old car phone. Wires run into the back of the glove box, with nothing attached.

On that note, I just removed the old external cell phone antenna.

Galahad wrote: Nov 11, 2022 10:23 PM Open question: Who would want a Mini-Box Upgrade Kit?
No LEDs, just two blade fuse holders. Pic of the prototype:
ImageMini box by Holy Grail Labs, on Flickr
325racer

Post by 325racer »

I've run into an impasse and am kinda stumped.

Got everything installed Friday and found the lights/turn signals didn't work, but most else seemed to work. I got back to troubleshooting today.

I found that I had a few wires moved around in the headlight/turn signal areas, but not much, mostly just leaving an open spade or not. Mine is slightly different than the Flikr page.

Mine
http://koganmb.quickconnect.to/mo/sharing/2Ld1rVKHt

Holy Grail
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ckindel/5 ... 301732523/

Overall they are very close.

Here's what's happening. Car starts fine, wiper work, radio works AC and fans work (well fan is dead but trying to work) Brake lights work.

When I turn on headlights, the left turn indicator illuminates, Check light comes on and Low Beam, washer fluid and coolant indicators come on, but lights do not.

The fuse block lights up through.
http://koganmb.quickconnect.to/mo/sharing/HAsriI1kB

When the hazards are turned on they did work once, but generally turn signals don't work, but the fuse block flashes.
http://koganmb.quickconnect.to/mo/sharing/WVuPcKSB4

Now, when I turn the car off, the fuse block LEDs stay on until I disconnect the battery.
http://koganmb.quickconnect.to/mo/sharing/pCXmzn5TG
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

325racer wrote: Sep 03, 2023 3:07 PM I've run into an impasse and am kinda stumped.

Wow that sure is something. I can look into the ETMs more in the next day or so.
I'd try pulling every fuse (or at least the ones related to the issues), then put each one back by itself to see what gets power.