Buy One Here!
Also available for E21
Upgrade your flakey, melty, and unreliable E12, E23, E24, or E28 fuse box.
Address one of the biggest causes of electrical problems in your classic BMW—the ancient and unreliable torpedo fuses. Our kit upgrades your E12, E23, E24, or E28 to modern, reliable blade-style fuses.
- Lower total resistance and won't lose spring pressure over time
- Prevents melty
- LEDs show green for any circuit with power; red if the fuse is missing or blown
- LEDs can be disabled via a switch
- Includes sockets for four spare fuses
- Fits under the stock fuse box cover
- Includes a full set of blade style fuses
The "E28 Blade Fuse Box Upgrade Kit" is compatible with
- All BMW E12 models
- All BMW E23 models built before September 1982
- All BMW E24 models built before September 1982
- All BMW E28 models
E28 Blade Fuse Retrofit Kit Install Walkthrough Video
----------Original post below----------
I've been working on a blade fuse retrofit kit for e28 fuse boxes for a number of months now and it's high time I made my own thread about it. I'm very close to a final version and will be posting updates here as progress is made.
I'd like to thank @cek for offering up his cars as guinea pigs - his input has been invaluable for improving the final product.
Compatible with standard / mini / low-profile blade fuses (no longer applies from 5/28/23 onwards, I had to make a change to support manufacturing efforts)
Works with both Euro and US cars
Lower total resistance and won't lose spring pressure over time
Indicator LEDs to identify blown fuses
Does require modifying the fuse box by removing the bullet fuse holders, but drops into the existing slots through the plastic
Fits under the stock fuse box cover
Here's a photo of the current prototype:
See the installation here.
Let me know if you have any questions.