sssquid vs miller maf

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
charofire

sssquid vs miller maf

Post by charofire »

It's interesting to note that SSSQuid tuning announced a couple of years ago that they were building a better MAF solution for the 0179 ecu. Have they gone into production? How will their approach be different than Miller?
SlickDizzy

Re: sssquid vs miller maf

Post by SlickDizzy »

You could e-mail and ask, he is pretty responsive. I presume they have not gone into production though, the website states it pretty clearly (in addition to going into detail about how their approach is different than Miller's):
CURRENTLY WE ARE SEEKING INVESTORS TO MASS PRODUCE COMPONENTS. PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!

We have been working on a proper MAF conversion for E28, E30, E34, and similar VAM-equipped models. Our primary goal is to produce a MAF Conversion Kit (MCK) that does not require a retune, that’s plug-and-play, and that properly converts the MAF signal into a signal that the stock ECU is expecting to see. Currently, there are no MAF conversions on the market that performs these tasks. Yes, including that one!

In modern MAF-equipped ECUs, there are entire algorithms and coding sections dedicated to correctly reading, filtering, and smoothing the input. This code is absent on older, VAM-equipped ECUs and therefore in-order to properly feed the ECU a MAF signal, the maths and programming must be done externally. Our MCK uses a custom coded microprocessor along with circuit boards — designed in-house and made in America — that take care of these essential tasks.

After dozens of iterations, changes, updates, and improvements, we are nearing a release-ready product. If you are interested in becoming a backer, please contact us.
Frankly, they could sell the same damn parts as Miller and if they made a trivial attempt at offering customer service, it would be the better product. But it sounds like they're trying to resolve a lot of the Miller setup's technical flaws too.

I asked Jay about the project status back in Dec. 2018 and this was his response:
we're working hard on it, but have run into a few delays. Currently, we're moving to a larger, more cost effective location in Kansas City, MO, and out of Colorado. I apologize for any delays this may cause in response time.

We're trying our best to have the MAF conversions available before summer of 2019, though it's an massively expensive undertaking.

Our units will not require any sort of retune, and will be completely compatible with the stock tunes of either M20 or M30 engines (selectable output to be used with either).
Ultimately I respect them for not rushing a product to market, and it sounds like it will be a better solution than the Miller if it makes it to release, but I have reached the point where I will probably just go Megasquirt and ditch the AFM/MAF entirely before I mess with Motronic any more.
cek

Post by cek »

Subscribed in case anything comes of this.
shallam

Post by shallam »

I recently purchased an SSSQUID SSSMCK (MAF conversion kit) for my M30. TLDR; I'm very pleased. Here are the details of my experience:

The kit is still "pre-production." The unit is 3D printed, the connectors aren't a perfect fit, but it is completely functional. SSSQUID claims that purchasers of pre-production units will receive a free replacement when the final version is in production. They don't stock many of these units at once, but they are consistently making pre-production units. I added the unit to my "wishlist" on the SSSQUID website and had to wait ~3 weeks until one became available.

Cost: The SSSMCK kit plus the module was $205. I purchased a new BOSCH 0280218017 MAF from RockAuto for $140 shipped. I purchased a new intake elbow from Amazon for $20. Total cost was $365.

Install: Installation was easy. The instructions from SSSQUID are clear. You need to run a switched power wire to the existing AFM connector. The install is easily reversible, which is nice. I used a new 3" intake elbow to go between the airbox and the MAF. The MAF is 80mm which is a tight fit for the 3" intake tube, but with some patience you can get it on. Total install took ~30 minutes.

Performance: No expected performance gains, but an improvement in throttle response.

Tuning: Impressive level of tuning. You can connect to the unit via Bluetooth and tune airflow and intake temperature. I haven't played much with this, but this level of flexibility is a big plus. You can also log data. Both functions work as expected.

The functionality, tuning, cost, ability to use with any ECU chip, and the service/support from SSSQUID all lead to a 5 star review from me.
MyE24

Post by MyE24 »

Sounds great! Unfortunately their webpage says not a problem available.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

MyE24 wrote: Oct 13, 2022 12:17 AM Sounds great! Unfortunately their webpage says not a problem available.
I'd be happy to donate a few problems if you're in the market for some.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

gadget73 wrote: Oct 13, 2022 11:57 AM I'd be happy to donate a few problems if you're in the market for some.
Not sure I understand, perhaps I'm not equipped to wade through very thick sarcasm if that was the case.

Care to explain a bit more? Thanks.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Foonfer wrote: Oct 13, 2022 7:43 PM Not sure I understand, perhaps I'm not equipped to wade through very thick sarcasm if that was the case.

Care to explain a bit more? Thanks.
Mye24 typed "not a problem available" instead of "out of stock" or something. Not entirely sure what the exact autocorrect was put that's what the joke is.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

^^ yes, that
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

shallam wrote: Oct 12, 2022 11:25 PM
Install: Installation was easy. The instructions from SSSQUID are clear. You need to run a switched power wire to the existing AFM connector. The install is easily reversible, which is nice. I used a new 3" intake elbow to go between the airbox and the MAF. The MAF is 80mm which is a tight fit for the 3" intake tube, but with some patience you can get it on. Total install took ~30 minutes.
Anyone that has attempted this conversion in an E28 - could you share which "switched power wire" you used to tap to, where was it and how did you tap into it?
Germz

Post by Germz »

Has anybody tried sssquid's tunes? They seem to be fairly customizable if you send them the specs of your build.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Foonfer wrote: Jan 07, 2023 7:35 PM Anyone that has attempted this conversion in an E28 - could you share which "switched power wire" you used to tap to, where was it and how did you tap into it?
The aux fuse block is the easiest location to find a switched power connection.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Shawn D. wrote: Jan 09, 2023 8:03 AM
Foonfer wrote: Jan 07, 2023 7:35 PM Anyone that has attempted this conversion in an E28 - could you share which "switched power wire" you used to tap to, where was it and how did you tap into it?
The aux fuse block is the easiest location to find a switched power connection.
Thanks! I had almost forgotten about that silly little pillbox behind the main fuse box, until this conversation brought it into sharp focus:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156216&p=1521106#p1521106

but I appreciate you chiming in-