Magnaflow vs. Walker Catalytic Converter

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Yojedi

Magnaflow vs. Walker Catalytic Converter

Post by Yojedi »

I'm shopping for a CARB legal catalytic converter and apparently available choices come down to Walker 81133 vs. Magnaflow 3321037. However there's a HUGE price disparity between the two. Walker can be had for $145 and Magnaflow is about $480 after discount. These are both universal fit catalytic converter. Materials and warranty are also equal. So what am I missing here? Do you guys have a preference between the two?
SlickDizzy

Re: Magnaflow vs. Walker Catalytic Converter

Post by SlickDizzy »

Looking at each unit it is clear that Magnaflow invested more in R&D and is probably more expensive to manufacture, and they have to recoup those costs somehow.

The Walker appears to be an off-the-shelf cat with a Y-pipe slapped on while the Magnaflow is actually manufactured as a 1-in 2-out design. Doesn’t take much to guess which part probably has better QC and better flow dynamics.

I don’t mean to dunk on Walker, I have used their parts before on daily driver type vehicles where performance is not a concern, they are a fine no-frills option and usually fit OK. But I think in this case you can see where the Magnaflow premium comes from.

Yojedi

Post by Yojedi »

SlickDizzy,

Definitely agree that Magnaflow exhibits higher engineering and production quality. Thanks for your feedback.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I went through the same search and came to the same conclusions. I also wasn't impressed with the apparent quality of manufacture of the Walker; the welding, especially, looked pretty sloppy.

You need to shop around though; you can get a Magnaflow 3321037 much cheaper than $480. In 2019 I only paid $225 for one at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts. Auto Zone's price was similar.
Yojedi

Post by Yojedi »

That's an amazing price. Ordered! Thanks :up:
MattC

Post by MattC »

Hi, following up on this - any feedback from OP on which choice you made and how's it going?
Yojedi

Post by Yojedi »

MattC wrote: Apr 05, 2021 10:35 AM Hi, following up on this - any feedback from OP on which choice you made and how's it going?
I went with Magnaflow. Finally had it installed and fitment was great. I will be ready to smog my car very soon and will keep you posted.
MattC

Post by MattC »

Awesome news, thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing your review once you run it.
Yojedi

Post by Yojedi »

Sorry it's taken till now but I finally got the car to smog test and it passed beautifully. As a matter of fact it passed "unbelievably clean", and those are tech's exact word. :cool: :lol:

Anyhow below is the test report for those who are interested. Remember though, my car has ... fully rebuilt M30B35, new O2 sensor and brand new Magnaflow cat. But anyhow it's a huge load off my mind and after 4.5 years of restoration work it's got CA plate now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

HC and CO are very good, but it's that Nox number that's unbelievable. Brand new cats can do amazing stuff. Don't expect to see those numbers the next time you smog it in 2 years.
Click

Post by Click »

Those are incredible numbers.

Curious, what was the "amazing price" on that cat? I just clicked the walmart link and it's $685 now haha.
Yojedi

Post by Yojedi »

Click wrote: Aug 03, 2021 1:14 AM.

Curious, what was the "amazing price" on that cat? I just clicked the walmart link and it's $685 now haha.
$180 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sparkeysf

Post by Sparkeysf »

Yojedi wrote: Aug 03, 2021 1:46 AM
Click wrote: Aug 03, 2021 1:14 AM.

$180 :lol: :lol: :lol:
I bought one of these at $180 when I saw your first post, to keep as a spare for when my OEM cat fails, hopefully in the distant future. He's right, it's now $685. lol