Magnaflow vs. Walker Catalytic Converter

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Yojedi

Magnaflow vs. Walker Catalytic Converter

Post by Yojedi »

I'm shopping for a CARB legal catalytic converter and apparently available choices come down to Walker 81133 vs. Magnaflow 3321037. However there's a HUGE price disparity between the two. Walker can be had for $145 and Magnaflow is about $480 after discount. These are both universal fit catalytic converter. Materials and warranty are also equal. So what am I missing here? Do you guys have a preference between the two?
SlickDizzy

Re: Magnaflow vs. Walker Catalytic Converter

Post by SlickDizzy »

Looking at each unit it is clear that Magnaflow invested more in R&D and is probably more expensive to manufacture, and they have to recoup those costs somehow.

The Walker appears to be an off-the-shelf cat with a Y-pipe slapped on while the Magnaflow is actually manufactured as a 1-in 2-out design. Doesn’t take much to guess which part probably has better QC and better flow dynamics.

I don’t mean to dunk on Walker, I have used their parts before on daily driver type vehicles where performance is not a concern, they are a fine no-frills option and usually fit OK. But I think in this case you can see where the Magnaflow premium comes from.

Yojedi

Post by Yojedi »

SlickDizzy,

Definitely agree that Magnaflow exhibits higher engineering and production quality. Thanks for your feedback.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I went through the same search and came to the same conclusions. I also wasn't impressed with the apparent quality of manufacture of the Walker; the welding, especially, looked pretty sloppy.

You need to shop around though; you can get a Magnaflow 3321037 much cheaper than $480. In 2019 I only paid $225 for one at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts. Auto Zone's price was similar.
Yojedi

Post by Yojedi »

That's an amazing price. Ordered! Thanks :up:
MattC

Post by MattC »

Hi, following up on this - any feedback from OP on which choice you made and how's it going?