Radio suddenly having trouble with signal

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
williamtii

Radio suddenly having trouble with signal

Post by williamtii »

Hello all,

My 86 528e has had a sudden loss of radio signal loss. Not entirely, I can still get the local powerful station but the range has reduced me to 2-3 stations which here in CT is terrible.

Its an aftermarket unit that has always worked fine, picking up stations across the sound on Long Island and up to Hartford. I tried a spare antennae with no changes. Plugging and unplugging the antennae from the head unit shows something is happening but nothing is loose.

I haven't touched anything so not sure what the issue is. Anyone ever had something like this happen ?
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: Radio suddenly having trouble with signal

Post by Shawn D. »

I'd check grounds and the condition of the antenna connections in the trunk.

When you tried spare antennas, how did you do that? If the body of the antenna isn't grounded, it won't work properly.
Mike W.

Re: Radio suddenly having trouble with signal

Post by Mike W. »

Antenna would be my first guess, but if you've tried another with no success it points to the radio itself.

On my last E12 I finally installed a stereo I'd bought a year or two before, Blaupunkt even, but shortly after the company had been sold. Anyway, hooked it up and all was fine. Then about a week later I lost AM. FM worked fine, CD worked, but no AM. So it does happen.