e28 Brake Wear Sensors

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Johnrg1226

e28 Brake Wear Sensors

Post by Johnrg1226 »

Forgive me for this dumb question, but I am having difficulty finding a strong forum for e28 brakes. I am looking at getting centric rotors and pads, does the brake wear sensor fit on virtually any pad that fits the e28? I am looking on rock auto for some cheaper pads and rotors and I have no information on if they fit or not. Also, the car I have is somewhat of a "barn find" as its been sitting for quite a while, around ten years, so besides brake fluid, stainless steel brake lines, rebuilding calipers, and new pads/rotors, what else would I need to make sure I can actually stop the car once I get it started.

thanks and sorry for the dumb question if it was already answered.
BMWCCA2

Re: e28 Brake Wear Sensors

Post by BMWCCA2 »

A lot of what you may need depends on which E28 model you have.
Last edited by BMWCCA2 on Nov 20, 2020 11:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Welcome to the group! While search is often suggested, the dumb question is the one not asked, so no worries.

Now I can't say there aren't any pads that don't have the cutout for the wear sensor, but everyone I've seen did, and I've seen more than a few. So at worst, absolute worst, I think your odds are good. 10 years is a long time, but I'd drive it before I started rebuilding calipers. I would suspect the master cylinder before calipers, but you never know. Don't forget about the clutch though, different system, but connected and brake fluid absorbs moisture. Bizarre bleeding procedure for the clutch, so search a bit before diving in.

I've bought parts from Rockauto and gotten some absolute killer deals. But with them and even more with Amazon, you have to be careful. Partly on quality, but especially on fitment, they often kind of ballpark it and while it might fit some BMW, it doesn't necessarily fit yours.
Johnrg1226

Post by Johnrg1226 »

Its a 535IS
Johnrg1226

Post by Johnrg1226 »

Mike W. wrote: Nov 20, 2020 11:25 PM Welcome to the group! While search is often suggested, the dumb question is the one not asked, so no worries.

Now I can't say there aren't any pads that don't have the cutout for the wear sensor, but everyone I've seen did, and I've seen more than a few. So at worst, absolute worst, I think your odds are good. 10 years is a long time, but I'd drive it before I started rebuilding calipers. I would suspect the master cylinder before calipers, but you never know. Don't forget about the clutch though, different system, but connected and brake fluid absorbs moisture. Bizarre bleeding procedure for the clutch, so search a bit before diving in.

I've bought parts from Rockauto and gotten some absolute killer deals. But with them and even more with Amazon, you have to be careful. Partly on quality, but especially on fitment, they often kind of ballpark it and while it might fit some BMW, it doesn't necessarily fit yours.
Ill order from rock auto then. I have a Miata as well and the parts I ordered through there have been pretty decent quality so we shall see. As for the calipers, I am not really concerned because its around $40 for all four rebuild kits and Ill try them by myself.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

After over 30-years of use, the original tailgate latch handle of my Toyota truck broke. Rock Auto showed many alternatives from around $5 to close to the Toyota dealer part around $100. I picked a fairly inexpensive one and ordered. Took quite a while to arrive. When I installed it I realized I had to swap some metal parts from the original to the replacement but it wasn't much of an issue. After over 30-years on the original, the replacement lasted less than a year. I went back to the Rock Auto website and picked a more middle-of-the-road priced handle and it's been fine for probably six-years.

The master-cylinder replacement for same truck from Rock Auto was unbelievably cheap, came with reservoir attached, and has been working just fine for years.

Hit or miss on several other items but that's likely no different than some store chains. I do find when it comes to parts requiring cores, the local stores are much easier to work with and most offer lifetime guarantees. :dunno: