quick question, oil pump

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
four2zerohero

quick question, oil pump

Post by four2zerohero »

Is shimming an oil pump better than leaving it as is if the chain has wear? I am replacing my oil pan gasket and as you know the potential for mission creep is high. I'm on a tight budget, and it seems like replacing the chain requires replacing the sprocket which is a special order item.
is shimming the pump better than nothing?

Thank you
BMWCCA2

Re: quick question, oil pump

Post by BMWCCA2 »

I think you should shim the pump regardless of whether or not you replace the chain.

A couple of years ago I replaced the pump and shimmed it but did not replace the chain or sprocket. Seems to be working fine. Oil-pressure lamp goes out almost before the engine catches!
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

If you are in that far, I would highly recommend you spend a few extra minutes to split the oil pump halves and replace the “wear plate” inside, which is a sacrificial piece meant to prevent housing wear. Between that and the shimming you should buy yourself a fair amount of time until you can do the whole job.

#12 in the attached diagram, they cost a whole five dollars from BMW.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=11_2122

Replacing the pressure relief spring (#21) is also not a bad idea and is very quick and easy to do, though probably not as necessary.
four2zerohero

Post by four2zerohero »

Thank you gentlemen,
BMWCCA2 wrote: Nov 12, 2020 9:47 AM I think you should shim the pump regardless of whether or not you replace the chain.

A couple of years ago I replaced the pump and shimmed it but did not replace the chain or sprocket. Seems to be working fine. Oil-pressure lamp goes out almost before the engine catches!
so would a couple of the 1.0mm shims stacked upon each other work? i cant find anywhere that sells the 3.0mm one,
four2zerohero

Post by four2zerohero »

SlickDizzy wrote: Nov 12, 2020 9:54 AM If you are in that far, I would highly recommend you spend a few extra minutes to split the oil pump halves and replace the “wear plate” inside, which is a sacrificial piece meant to prevent housing wear. Between that and the shimming you should buy yourself a fair amount of time until you can do the whole job.

#12 in the attached diagram, they cost a whole five dollars from BMW.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=11_2122

Replacing the pressure relief spring (#21) is also not a bad idea and is very quick and easy to do, though probably not as necessary.
Thank you, this is the mission creep i could afford. May be a silly question, but should I still lap the housing halves to ensure they're true?
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

four2zerohero wrote: Nov 12, 2020 11:19 AM
Thank you, this is the mission creep i could afford. May be a silly question, but should I still lap the housing halves to ensure they're true?
I wouldn’t bother, the softer metal wear plate acts as a gasket of sorts.
four2zerohero

Post by four2zerohero »

SlickDizzy wrote: Nov 12, 2020 11:44 AM
four2zerohero wrote: Nov 12, 2020 11:19 AM
I wouldn’t bother, the softer metal wear plate acts as a gasket of sorts.
good to know

thanks again
four2zerohero

Post by four2zerohero »

okay, another question.
I've got my pump removed and on the bench and disassembled. It turns out it already had one set of shims installed. My question is can i stack up various 0.01mm shims to take up the slack? will the oil leak through them if i do? I ask about the 0.01mm shim because i cannot seem to find the 0.03mm one anywhere.

thank you.
WVe28

Post by WVe28 »

Yes you can stack them. I ended up with three each on mine.
ahab

Post by ahab »

WVe28 wrote: Nov 17, 2020 11:59 AM Yes you can stack them. I ended up with three each on mine.
Was that before or after the "quart erry hunnert" problem?? :rofl:

All kidding aside, did you figure out what what wrong?