IS Front Air Dam (US spec) - Fog Lights

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
#5isalive

IS Front Air Dam (US spec) - Fog Lights

Post by #5isalive »

I believe I read in the past here that E30 M3 fog lights could be used as a sub for no longer made 535is fog lights. Is this true...has anyone tried it?

I appreciate it.

E30 M3 Fog Light:

63-17-1-381-420 Right
63-17-1-381-419 Left
adam_poll

Re: IS Front Air Dam (US spec) - Fog Lights

Post by adam_poll »

The E30 M3 foglight glass lenses are the same as the foglights in a Euro E28 and they are a direct fit into the M5/535is front spoiler. I'm not sure about the plastic housings though if they also fit or if they are different between the two.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

the housings are different, mount top and bottom vs. just the bottom. Wire exits different. Might be able to wedge them in there, don't know.
#5isalive

Post by #5isalive »

Thank you for the replies. Overly optimistic one late night I thought I concluded the M3 fog mounts might have some adjustability at the mounts. I might give it a try to see what needs to be done and document for everyone. Take care,
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

If you can tolerate some degree of deviation from absolute purity, you can do what I did: When I got an used IS airdam for my non-IS E28, and realized the foglights had a different mounting system (different also to the Euro foglights, wtf) I adapted my stock foglights to the IS airdam. It took some rudimentary cutting, gluing and fabrication, but it was eminently doable. The most difficult part was routing the wires. (I had documented the whole process with photos, and then the photos were accidentally lost when I replaced my phone).

If I ever wanted to go back to stock, it's all reversible with very small scars visible on the foglight buckets.
#5isalive

Post by #5isalive »

I think I do recall your post or a very similar post here in the past with detailed instructions how to do it. Might have saved it? I seen a pic or two over the years of folks that rigged it as well. I really don't think it looks that bad. I am in the same situation. I bought an air dam and rear deck spoiler from forum members six years ago and I been on the fence to turn my I into an IS-ish. I decided I am going to do it now...I had the car for 8 years and I need a different look. Thanks again.