Seat belt light

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
topher800

Seat belt light

Post by topher800 »

The dash seat belt light has never worked. I am guessing my brother removed a relay or some such to delete it. I'd like to restore it. What are some obvious things to check?
RonW

Re: Seat belt light

Post by RonW »

topher800 wrote: Oct 17, 2020 1:21 PM The dash seat belt light has never worked. I am guessing my brother removed a relay or some such to delete it. I'd like to restore it. What are some obvious things to check?
In order:
  1. Your brother.
  2. The seatbelt warning timer. Above the driver's kick panel, up against the firewall, there's a large electrical connector (C302) and next to it are two black boxes that look like overgrown relays. One is the interior light timer control, and the other is the seatbelt warning timer. If you see only one such box next to an empty socket, and the interior lights work, that's a good sign that the seatbelt warning timer is gone.
Mike W.

Re: Seat belt light

Post by Mike W. »

Seems like unplugging the connector underneath the seat disables it. Worked for multiple BMWs of that era for me, and while I always wear my seatbelt, I'm highly intolerant of a nanny telling me to do so if I don't do it in the correct (according to the nanny) sequence.

In other words, look under the seat, if you see a small 2 connector plug unplugged, find it's mate and plug it in.

I'm so fond of it and the key buzzer I've been known to buy a car that didn't run, and disable them before I got it running.