Been awhile, 535i ran over a deer :(

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
boomslack

Been awhile, 535i ran over a deer :(

Post by boomslack »

Backstory, skip to tl;dr if desired:
Hey guys, it's been a minute since I've last poked my head in. My cars have been cruising along as strong as ever, I still own both the 528e and the 535i. The 528e had some issues that caused me to ground her for a few days, and lo-and-behold, an oncoming car smashed into a deer and threw it into my lane. Thankfully I saw the incident going to happen before it did happen, so I only contacted(read: literally ran over) the deer at a leisurely 20ish mph instead of the other car at 60, but it still did a fair amount of damage to my fog lights/undercarriage plastic bits.

tl;dr: Vehicle: 535i, 1985/12
Currently going through with my mechanic to replace fog lights and all the plastic bits underneath the front bumper. I'm wanting to get a list of all the parts under there to replace. Cost is little concern as long as the part fits and is correct. I found the fog lights and maybe a couple other pieces, but I'm struggling with naming parts to actually search up. Could I get some help compiling a full list of all the things underneath the car? I'll edit this post later with an image from down low to indicate the damage (thankfully not much).
kojo96

Re: Been awhile, 535i ran over a deer :(

Post by kojo96 »

Go to realoem.com, plug in the last 7 of your VIN and look at the diagrams. Should help identify the parts you need.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select ... series=E28
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

The lower valance survived unharmed? The oil pan and it's sensor? Looking at it in my mind's eye I'm mostly just seeing the brake air deflectors, along with the fogs of course.
boomslack

Post by boomslack »

https://imgur.com/a/lnlaZSw

Here's the photo. The realoem link is much appreciated. A lot of what you said Mike i understand, but not actually know where exactly are. There was hair bits on the oil pan, but at that point impact speed was less than 5mph due to my braking. So glad I fixed the brakes all around on this one a few months prior.