Timing Chain Guide Condition

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
dspock

Timing Chain Guide Condition

Post by dspock »

So if your timing chain guide looks like this, do you consider it a problem? Originally I thought it was broken but have seen a few pics where it didn’t look much different than mine. In my mye28.com research, I’ve also read the cam sprocket gear teeth will be sharp if its time to replace the sprocket. I wouldn’t consider these sharp but wanted to ask the group.

Have the parts on the way but if I can avoid playing around with the Jesus nut, I will.....at least for now.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Txfouno

Thanks!

- Dave
code

Re: Timing Chain Guide Condition

Post by code »

I was thinking the same thing regarding my cam sprocket. Mine has this wear between some of the teeth.

Your guide looks like mine, I believe the top looks like that from stock.

dspock

Post by dspock »

I had ordered the parts and they arrived today. If helpful i can post up a pic of a brand new cam sprocket for comparison.

The chain guide (on the tensioner side) does in fact look like the one in your pic and mine even when brand new. Thought it was chipped/broken plastic but it's not.

I'm going to forgo the hassle of continuing to rip my car apart and start the reassembly process. It's starting to get cold and these parts aren't going to install themselves.

Permatex Aviation Gasket Sealer: ENGAGE

- Dave
code

Post by code »

Thanks for the update! How does the new sprocket compare?

I was surprised at the tensioner guide too, but that’s just how they are. I broke the Jesus nut free yesterday and have PB blaster working on the stuck damper assembly. Hopefully will have that off today and can pull the lower cover. Curious to see how the lower sprocket teeth look.