car cover, winter storage

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
db9

car cover, winter storage

Post by db9 »

Hello all,

Thinking ahead and wondering about a car cover for winter storage. The car is in a underground during the winter and last year we put a tarp over the car to protect not so much from dirt etc but the stuff that seems to fall from the concrete ceiling above.

Suggestions about covers that you may be using?

Thank you,
cek

Re: car cover, winter storage

Post by cek »

db9 wrote: Sep 13, 2020 11:07 AM Hello all,

Thinking ahead and wondering about a car cover for winter storage. The car is in a underground during the winter and last year we put a tarp over the car to protect not so much from dirt etc but the stuff that seems to fall from the concrete ceiling above.

Suggestions about covers that you may be using?

Thank you,
I have two Covercraft Noah's: https://www.the-cover-store.com/covercr ... icle-cover

They fit very well and hare high quality. I'd buy either again.

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

I have/had several over the three BMW's I have/had owned.
The primary one for the M535i in storage is this one:
https://www.coverking.com/moving-blanke ... ml#vselect
It is the moving blanket version from Coverking. If you are familiar with moving/packing blankets, you know this one.

Overall it's a been a good cover over the several years I've had it. Observations:
Pros:
-Heavy and provides excellent impact protection
-Provides excellent dust protection
Cons:
-Heavy and is not compact when rolled up so you had better have an easy large enough place to store it when not using it
-The interior surface is not the friendliest to a show car finish. During my car show days and during the season, I never used it due to micro-scratching. If you have a Garage Queen show car with a glass/mirror finish, use a soft cotton or fleece under it.
-Material: It appears to be made from the same packing blanket materials that are found on the cheapest Harbor Freight blankets. If you know those, you know that they deteriorate over time, the same is happening to this cover which is really irritating.
-Cost. It isn't cheap (which makes the previous con very irritating).
-Indoor only

I have one of these also that I got first prior to the padded cover above.
https://www.carcoverpro.com/1985-bmw-53 ... over_c7781 (or something very similar):

It is very lightweight and while rated for outdoor use, I got it as a dust cover inside The Hangar and was very inexpensive. It is super lightweight and offers little to no impact protection but serves a very limited and specific purpose.

I also have an E28 fitted WeatherShield HD that I use for the E39. Surprisingly it more or less fits although not as well as a fitted E39 version. It was very expensive so I was loath to get rid of it or not use it. Since I have no garage down here at the house and LA is pretty dirty environment (dirt, dust, morning dew, birds, etc.), it is almost a requirement provided I keep the car clean. So it has been getting good use covering the E39 (especially these last few weeks with the fires as ash falls everywhere).

I would recommend if you put the car to bed for months, and are attracted to the Coverking padded cover, don't buy it but kind of make your own; I almost did this with a bunch of Harbor Freight blankets (they go on sale for something like $5.99 ea). Buy something like the Deluxe Block-It to cover it for dust then buy a bunch of HF blankets to lay on top the horizontal surfaces. To keep them from sliding off, you can attach Velcro strips to each of them and to the cover below it. If you need side panel vertical protection, it gets more tricky but the same principle.
db9

Post by db9 »

Thank you both for taking the time to answer.

Stephen
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

When I finally moved my e28 garage queen indoors, I looked at options. The car has had both indoor and outdoor covers over the years (I am the original and only owner). Most indoor covers let fine dust sift through eventually. That plus trapped water vapor did the paint no good.

About 5 years ago I got a Coverking Dustop indoor cover. It seems truly dustproof, and it is also breathable.

It was pricey, about $250, but worth it. Kind of like a Gore Tex jacket for your car.

I would not use it in a public garage, where people might sit items on it or in a private garage with clawed cats climbing on it. In the right garage it is a great cover.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

beware mice issues too. I've had halfway decent luck using dryer sheets tucked under seats and in the trunk to keep them out but as the smell wears off they get less effective. Should be OK for a winter, but start with a fresh package. Also keeps the car from smelling musty in the spring. If you can set traps in the storage area so much the better.