88 535is noises and issues

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Kowalskicw

Re: 88 535is noises and issues

Post by Kowalskicw »

Well I got my car back just in time to be laid up with foot surgery and crappy snowy sleet weather. The drive home was nice. It sounded just like I was hoping. Couldn't be happier. Got a high flow cat and magnaflow resonator and muffler with custom piping. It sounds pretty cool with a couple pops. I'll post a video link soon.
Kowalskicw

Post by Kowalskicw »

Final pic...dont mind how dirty she is. Going to full buff and wax this winter. Haven't cleaned it since I bought it haha just driving it.
Video if anyone wants to check out how it sounds. High flow cat into a Magnaflow 10416 4" resonator then into a Magnaflow 6" 12616 muffler if anyone wanted to know.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4EbEiGY1oYoZomnf6
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I'd be looking for a heat shield for the center support bearing. Right over the cat isn't the best place for it to enjoy a long life.
Kowalskicw

Post by Kowalskicw »

Omg I didn't even think of that! I'm completely new to these BMW's and now that I see that... Damnit good catch. I'll have to work with them to see if he can relocate it. Damn good catch my man.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

There is a small heat shield on the cat but another one attached to the body as part number 1
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=51_1830

you have remnants of that part. The studs sticking out from the body and the lighter colored area is where the original #1 used to be.

Shouldn't be too hard to cram something in there.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Are we not supposed to see the license plate number in the video?
Kowalskicw

Post by Kowalskicw »

Thanks for the heat shield comments that really helps. I'll be spending lots of time under there this winter. And don't worry about license plate in the video I just blacked it out in pics and then realized the video had it and realized I really don't care haha.
Kowalskicw

Post by Kowalskicw »

Woo I got a floor lift! poo my jack points are rustier than I hoped and crushed a bit when lifting but at this point I don't care I just want to get under there and start making my list of things to replace! The front jack points look the worst, the rear ones didn't dent in much. I know there is a special block I probably should have used to go in those things, but they looked in rough enough shape I didn't think it would matter anymore. I'll fix the stuff under the car then see if I cant fix the metal later. I have to rip the interior out and track down water issues and fix rust spots. So pumped to have this jack though. Lets see how far down the rabbit hole this takes me haha