O2 Sensor Heater Necesarry?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Adam_torrence

O2 Sensor Heater Necesarry?

Post by Adam_torrence »

I have e 12 that i am swapping a m30b34 into and this one has a heated O2 sensor I was orginally just going to use my e12 one but if i need it heated for the computer to work better then i will do the wiring to figure it out.
Mike W.

Re: O2 Sensor Heater Necesarry?

Post by Mike W. »

The ECU determines if you need a heated O2 sensor. When troubleshooting my 535 (059 ECU) some time back I threw in an unheated one and while subtle, it didn't run quite as well. I think the heated ones have faster response.

So if you're using B34 engine management, 059 ECU, you do want a heated one. You can always splice in a generic if you want to save a few bucks.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I accidentally forgot to connect the O2 heater circuit on something I did a swap on. It ran OK, but there was a period of time between when the engine was cold and really warmed up where it ran slightly funny, especially at idle. My friend ended up with the car and he figured out where I had screwed up. The partially warmed funky idle problem went away when he connected the heater.
Adam_torrence

Post by Adam_torrence »

gadget73 and Mike,

Thank you for the quick responses i will try to wire in the heater circuit then i think it is worth it.

Thanks again, Adam