Banjo bolt fell out.

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Claus

Banjo bolt fell out.

Post by Claus »

Hopefully I’m overreacting. Decided to service the valves and found the banjo bold has fallen out. Luckily it didn’t fall into anything but the washer is missing. Any idea where I should look?

It had been misfiring under load but not sure this was the cause. Though it was electrical but maybe?
Mike W.

Re: Banjo bolt fell out.

Post by Mike W. »

Not uncommon. The washer is actually a one time use copper or aluminum seal, so get 4 of them, one top, one bottom, remove the other one and either replace them with the new upgraded type or locktite them in place to prevent it from happening again. Hopefully no camshaft damage occurred as often happens.

It would however be unrelated to a miss.
Claus

Post by Claus »

Cool. I do have 4 new ones installed. This time the banjo bolts are drilled with some safety wire and thread lock.

Should I not worry about the missing one? I’m pretty sure it slipped down those little pocket holes.

The cam loves feel pretty smooth to the touch although one has a couple pits.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

No need to worry. It's probably hiding on the head somewhere, but if it does find it's way down to the pan it'll just stay there. Nice clean head BTW, it's been done recently. :up:
Claus

Post by Claus »

Thanks. Yeah generally try to keep it clean and presentable. PO did the engine swap and seemed to put a lot more work into the engine than he advertised. I’ve had it two years, light driving and LOTS of cleaning.
Some eye candy of the bay:

Bachehbeemveh

Post by Bachehbeemveh »

Looks great where did you get the P/S reservoir?

Benny
Claus

Post by Claus »

Aga tools. I don’t remember them being so pricey. :|

https://agatools.com/products/billet-po ... r-straight
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Claus wrote: Sep 04, 2020 5:56 PM Thanks. Yeah generally try to keep it clean and presentable.
No, you don't try to keep it clean and presentable, you succeed. Man, that thing's gorgeous! :up:
cek

Post by cek »

Claus wrote: Sep 04, 2020 5:56 PM Thanks. Yeah generally try to keep it clean and presentable. PO did the engine swap and seemed to put a lot more work into the engine than he advertised. I’ve had it two years, light driving and LOTS of cleaning.
Some eye candy of the bay:

Lovely. Except for the hot air intake, that's a lovely engine bay.
Federico

Post by Federico »

cek wrote: Sep 09, 2020 11:27 AM Lovely. Except for the hot air intake, that's a lovely engine bay.
He must live in Washington DC