Help Needed - '86 528e myriad of issues ...

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
ShortBusSurfer

Help Needed - '86 528e myriad of issues ...

Post by ShortBusSurfer »

Hi Gang, I am a new owner of a BMW that requires TLC - having previously owned newer models and having "A guy" to take them to if there were ever issues I never really learned about being a mechanic. Now, I have a beautiful e28 but, like all 30 yo cars, it has issues that keep popping up. "Little" things that I feel I should be able to fix, with your help.
--- Speedometer - my speedometer will go out randomly, and - just as randomly - start working again. Confusing
--- Rear windows - both my rear windows sound like a dying cat when they are rolling up or down. I have used loads of wd40 to no success - thoughts?
--- Brake lights - Probably should have lead with this since it's my most immediate issue, but ALL of my brake lights stopped working suddenly. I know it's not a fuse since all my other lights are working and the fuses for the brake lights would be affecting other systems. The bulbs are good, too. What I am thinking is that the sensor that would trigger the lights to activate is not working. Thoughts?
--- Driver side mirror - I am in need of the part that goes inside the mirror (White) connecting the mirror propper to the motor that moves it

Thanks for all your help guys!
Mike W.

Re: Help Needed - '86 528e myriad of issues ...

Post by Mike W. »

Speedo. Not a sure thing, but pull the sensor out of the diff and clean it off.

Rear Windows. The grease turns to glue. You need to dig in, clean the old stuff off the tracks with a solvent, and regrease with something light like a white lithium grease, not a HD wheel bearing grease. BTW, WD40 is more of a light duty cleaner than a lubricant.

Brake lights. Brake light switches do fail, I've replaced a couple over the years, it lives down by the pedal itself. I think 86 uses the late one which uses a specific procedure to preload on install. Search, I don't know it offhand.

Mirror. Post a WTB in the parts for sale subforum.