Apparently BMW has solved their water valve issues...

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
LarryM

Apparently BMW has solved their water valve issues...

Post by LarryM »

Re: Item #2 (Part # 64-11-1-373-191)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=64_0078

In the recent past many of us were having problems with these parts from BMW; they were leaking badly out of the box. A couple years ago I went through two of them before I decided to get the rebuild kit from BMW and install the new internals into my existing valve body. Well, over the weekend my valve body (which is plastic) finally cracked and I decided to take a chance that BMW had fixed the quality issue. This time I purchased it from my local dealer (and paid $50 more than if I had bought it online) just to avoid hassles in case I had to return it again.

The new one still came in a box marked "Made in China" but it seems to have been assembled properly this time around and the quality looks good. Anyway, no more leaks.
SlickDizzy

Re: Apparently BMW has solved their water valve issues...

Post by SlickDizzy »

I ended up using a plastic radiator repair kit on mine to fix the leaky joint. Looks ugly but it should hold indefinitely.
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Did you spend $350 on it?

Any pictures, does it look any different?

M5BB bought the same one, but he said he still had to shave down the top plastic 1/2mm or so.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=150387
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Do we know if this was the full valve, or just the replacement valve body?
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I did pay $350 plus tax for the entire water valve assembly through "BMWpartspros.com" which gives a modest discount plus allows me to pick it up at my local dealer and at least avoid shipping charges. Some of our favorite online vendors are currently selling it for about $305 plus shipping.

It looks identical to the two leaky ones I received from BMW about two years ago, except that the ~1/16" gap between the upper and lower sections of the valve body (where the previous ones had been leaking) is now gone and the two sections are now joined solidly together.

I've only driven the car about 10 miles and all seems well. If I have trouble later, I'll report back.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Aaaand it's now leaking. I've put about 4K miles on the car since installation. Really don't know what to do at this point, and am getting frustrated with the poor quality of BMW replacement parts in general.
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

I bought a new one in 2018 and it started leaking within 100 miles of install, so I removed it, disassembled the whole thing, plastic welded every possible leak point, then used a plastic radiator repair kit to reinforce the seams. Inexcusable to have to do that to a brand new BMW part, but at least it's still going strong.