Sam's 10:1 Motor Build RIP 63,420 Miles Later, Partial Disassem

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
LeiseyJr

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 9/1 1-4th Gear Pulls Vid

Post by LeiseyJr »

bafbaf wrote:I just added one to my engine last weekend. Took me a while to figure out a good location for it. This is what I came up with:

Turns out that the 1/2" fuel/PCV line just jams perfectly into the breather port on the intake.

I'm not a big fan of the large print "OIL CATCH CAN", but for $25 I can't complain too much (I tried removing the print with various chemicals, but it resisted all of my efforts). I also need to reroute the vacuum lines better than the picture shows, but that's a different issue.

I was confused with how Id route it, this is picture is gold!
bafbaf

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 9/1 1-4th Gear Pulls Vid

Post by bafbaf »

Here's a pic of the bracket I made:

You could probably mount it on the battery side as well. I've got other (car audio) stuff over there so that wasn't an option for me.
LeiseyJr

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 10/29 Miller Tuning

Post by LeiseyJr »

An update Miller WAR was installed like 2 weeks ago. Installed my dads tune for two weeks and car was running quite rich. On further investigation like 12.5 at part throttle. WOT was only decent map as well as the timing curves. The fuel maps all needed editing. So I popped fresh plugs in it, and the Innovate with a new sensor this weekend. Spent most of Sunday tuning, and all the maps are very solid now. Idle still needs minor meddling, part throttle needs to be cleaned up but it's now at 14.7 (and low 15's), dips into 13's p/t under load. At WOT 12.2-12.5. I am quite pleased with it. When I get ballsy enough I will maybe try some Alpina b10 timing values.

Finally doesn't foul plugs in traffic, torque is back and hopefully mileage will go up. It pulls super strong to redline now that it's not at 10.0 at WOT. I actually feel comfortable turning limiter up higher since it pulls all the way to 6400.

Reason why it still hasn't touched dyno is shop we knew has closed down, and no one else is open on weekends that I have seen yet.
LeiseyJr

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 10/29 Miller Tuning

Post by LeiseyJr »

I was still never happy with the idle. So I ripped it out and installed M1.3. It's running on the Alpina B10 tune with some minor tweaks. Not optimized fully at WOT, but idle is mint. You can also see ghetto catch can setup running to a gatorade bottle. Catch can remained empty so it has now been removed. It will be re installed at next track event though.
Image2020 update by samleisey, on Flickr
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 1/3 M1.3 Swap

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

How's that innovative holding up for ya? I doubt I'll ever buy another, mine would eat 02 sensors for lunch.
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

Nebraska_e28 wrote:How's that innovative holding up for ya? I doubt I'll ever buy another, mine would eat 02 sensors for lunch.
I do ‘t hate it. But I should’ve bought a AEM.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I hears Angry Ass Solutions might be making an Alpina intake manifold for M30... Might be a good choice for this car if the price is right...
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

tschultz wrote:I hears Angry Ass Solutions might be making an Alpina intake manifold for M30... Might be a good choice for this car if the price is right...
That's for boost though?
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I will be curious to see if they are doing a direct copy or looking to improve the intake for better flow.
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

Switched back to M1.0 and Im so fucking happy. In the morning as soon as I hit key it starts, throttle response feels like I installed a MAF, and I was also having heavy oil burning after high rpm that shit is gone. It idles fine no stalling just not like silk. I will trade silk idle for driveability, engine is such a joy now.

It wasnt M1.3 fault that it had a stumble on tip in, it wasnt its fault that it was burning oil on decel, it wasnt its fault that heel toes were a pain because it just didnt want to rev up. That was my fault, the cookie cutter B10 tune was doing what my 061 B10 tune was doing. I shouldve expected that. I could’ve spent another 2 months tuning it. I elected just put in the old setup, Id already spent lots of hours on and I have more spare parts for.

Know that I switched back I realize how good my old tune due to how much time I put into it. Not to mention all my M1.0 stuff is brand new, CTS and reference sensors. Also the harness looks proper no exposed wires, and fits correctly. M1.3 relays didnt mount to fuse box and giant diagnostic connector was dangling.

Happy to report that Im finally very pleased with this engine now that its all broken in and is tuned right. Hope to get many miles out of it.
RDAvena

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 4/6 Back to M1.0

Post by RDAvena »

Nice build. Thanks for documenting your efforts.
Read about the oil in the intake issue and remembered this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qrDIEMpGRA

Hope it helps.
LeiseyJr

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 4/6 Back to M1.0

Post by LeiseyJr »

RDAvena wrote:Nice build. Thanks for documenting your efforts.
Read about the oil in the intake issue and remembered this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qrDIEMpGRA

Hope it helps.
I love you.
LeiseyJr

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 10/13

Post by LeiseyJr »

Update.

Motor blew a headgaket awhile back due to bad radiator/bad temp gauge. Idling, A/C on, and Texas summer were not a good combo.

Now that I finally found a good radiator it is staying cool on track, like I remember when I first swapped the car. Colder operating temperature all around now. Still can get warm over 95 with a/c on, stays cold with it off. Original Equipment radiators ftw

Tune haven't really needed to touch. Still no dyno. Has beat a e36 m3 that dyno'd at 217whp and someone who tracks a sc400 has noted it pulls away from him now on the straights. Whereas before it didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=040-8-o ... 4A32BB8ncU

Car overfilled catch (keystone beer) can during this session:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSQweFXmfBs&t=59s

So it's definitely not blow by, just over oiling of the head. Probably gonna just get a bigger catch can or a oil resistant sealant on that baffle for the breather.

15K miles so far.
LeiseyJr

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 10/13 survived 2nd track event

Post by LeiseyJr »

Did the plugs, look fine. Some soot towards the outer base. Porcelain and tips looked good.

ODO is at 257K so 24-25k is on the motor so far.

It is still leaking some and burning oil. 1 quart every 2-3 tanks, at the track that obviously increases. This weekend I went through 1.5 Quarts.

Is what it is.

Also put the stock euro ecu now that I found AFM. It does seem to like it. Maybe not as much at WOT (less power but pulls cleanly), but everywhere else seems happy enough. Think I'm just going to leave that in.

Imagine that, BMW tuned the 10:1 motor for the best compromises all around. Who would've thought?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcYoM2WY1p4&t=8s

Here's beating on it for 11 minutes. I do have to compensate for head filling. Can see that in the video whenever I go into the Keyhole at MSRH, I have to shift into 4th gear for both directions.
Tiit

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 5/3 24k Miles, Stock Euro DME back in

Post by Tiit »

You are a good driver. I’d love to race with you. I’d beat you so bad. Well at least I would try. :)
LeiseyJr

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 6/22 Engine Management Update

Post by LeiseyJr »

So today I got a wideband on the car again.

Was very happy to see fantastic AFRs with the Euro DME. 14.7 idle, 15-16 cruise, 13s in heavy part throttle.
WOT, I wouldve liked to see a bit richer, it was 13.0. But other than that it runs great on the euro dme.

At the last Auto-X I did some experimenting. I had the euro DME in vs my tune I made with the Miller chip. There was noticeable back to back improvement. The time increased by 1.5 seconds, but the run I had the euro DME was in was my first run.

But car felt way better with my tune. Better response, wide open performance and part throttle. The euro dme idles better just due to the fact it isn't trying to react to the 02 sensor and M1.0 is slow.

So really happy with that. Euro Dme was a great tool to see that I finally have a good AFM/adjusted correctly and to diagnose a vacuum leak I had. Last time I had euro DMEs they ran way worse and car was way too rich.

My tune also looks good with the wideband, did need to add some fuel up top.

Very happy I can put on a good running stock euro ecu, with lower redline and way safer timing for super hot weather just to be safe. However, if I bbetter response and power can put my tune in. Mine also gets better mileage
Last edited by LeiseyJr on Jun 23, 2021 12:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.
LeiseyJr

Re: Sam's 10:1 Motor Build 7/1 !!195whp Dyno'd 200ftlb!!

Post by LeiseyJr »

ImageIMG_2458 (1) by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

My tune:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TmRgFjM3SA
Stock 061: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXCi0y_jaxA

Dyno'd!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I compared my chip tune to the stock euro tune. Those are the best of the 4 runs, two runs for each. Was pretty consistent, my tune more so.

+16 whp and +10ftlb for the peaks. The power under the curve is higher everywhere.

Assuming 15% drivetrain loss that is 230 crank hp with my tune and the stock euro ecu is 208 crank. A little upsetting to see it's less than 218 with stock DME but with 98 ambient the DME is probably pulling timing.

Torque Curve is healthy, but will need bigger valves to have less of a taper after 6000.

It was worth all the money and hundreds of hours in tuning if it keeps staying alive.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Nice work! Keep it up!
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

What pulley is required on top to run the dual chains? Did you buy both of those parts to go with the dual chain setup?
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

tschultz wrote: Jul 20, 2023 2:39 AM What pulley is required on top to run the dual chains? Did you buy both of those parts to go with the dual chain setup?
I got everything used from a parts motor. Except for the guides
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I can't find the true application of the dual chain to get the part number for the upper dual sprocket. though I know the lower sprocket is from s38b35...
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

tschultz wrote: Aug 13, 2023 11:03 AM I can't find the true application of the dual chain to get the part number for the upper dual sprocket. though I know the lower sprocket is from s38b35...
M30s before about '80 used the double row chain. So think early E12 or E3.
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

This finally blew up after 60,000+ miles. It did have a new head put in it, like 2 years into its life around 25,000~ miles. Cam went flat, valve springs were too stiff we suspect. I did torch some headgaskets playing with ignition timing.

The final failure hasn't been determined. However it skipped timing or chain stretched.

Put in a placeholder 8:1 for the time being. With the engine out of the car, it showed incredible bad crank walk. It was also consuming oil real bad for the past year or so. It at failed during the last session while I was at Road Atlanta, second time this year. Had to tow it back was a big debacle. Another 10:1 is in the works but yeah.

Overall was a grand time. RIP
turbodan

Post by turbodan »

What kind of oil was in it? It does make a difference with these.