European Bumper question

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Bonsaibacker

European Bumper question

Post by Bonsaibacker »

I bought these bumpers back in July and was pleased when I opened the package- not perfect, but presentable for a daily.

I left them in the parts stash until I got to the point of installing. I am at the point of install (after putting on the Euro valance) and I held the bumper up to the car and the ends stood way off the car, so I compared the bumper to another one I had and here is the difference-

I do not notice any signs of stress on the bumper nor disfiguration. There are blemishes, but that is evident on all non-show quality euro bumpers...

Is this piece from another chassis?
If not, has anyone corrected a misfit like this before?

I contacted the seller and have not heard back yet. All of the other pieces are correct for the E28 and the other conversion pieces he sent are quality.

Input?
wkohler

Re: European Bumper question

Post by wkohler »

I could see in your first photo that front center section was on a car in an accident. Its been straightened out. Look to the left of the center.

Sorry!
Federico

Post by Federico »

My car also has that deformation. As wkohler said, it was caused either by an accident or just some "enthusiastic" parallel parking (those things are SOFT).
I believe what happens is that the metal stretches along the trailing edge of the "apex". Mind that it will buckle if you try to bend it the right way.

If you really wanted to fix that, you would have to shrink it with an acetylene torch (hard)
or
cut a notch in the center with an angle grinder, adjust the angle and then weld back up (much easier IMO).
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

F@$&#!

Not what I was wanting to hear.
Should I expect action from the seller? As I previously stated I was aware there were blemishes, but it not fitting without some reconstruction was not what I thought I was buying...
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Did you see photos? Do you have the description? Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to post it.
demetk

Post by demetk »

Bonsaibacker wrote:F@$&#!
Should I expect action from the seller? As I previously stated I was aware there were blemishes, but it not fitting without some reconstruction was not what I thought I was buying...
I and probably most of us would expect a refund from the seller. Let us know If you get nothing but static from the seller.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Thanks for admins for moving this here.

No static and no reply ( I emailed Monday).

Here is a link to the original post:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=148210

Being newer to the E28 I didn't recognize that the bumper was non-functional when purchased.
demetk

Post by demetk »

Pics tell the story. Notice how the ends don't fit the contour of the front bumper but do fit on the rear? Pretty sure the seller must have known that because he arranged them like that maybe in order to hide the problem. For that price should should have gotten better disclosure from him.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

The damage is clearly seen in the photos. I’m sorry. A replacement center section should be on your shopping list. I have no experience with the seller but he clearly made no effort to conceal that or send you something demonstrably different from what was advertised.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

I agree with both of you- The damage is seen in the pics- no denial. I don't mind that it isn't perfect, I just expected it to be something I could have bolted on (considering the money spent).
I try hard not to play the victim card. This is not about being taken advantage of- I was eager to acquire a set of euro bumpers. For future reference I will ask more questions or request pictures of them mounted to be sure. As a fan of accountability I do believe both parties need to do their diligence- I am owning mine. I am, however, also owning my frustration!

Will attempt a correction and see where that goes.

wkohler- I will probably end up sourcing another center section. I know the level of presentation you expect with your cars and this bumper isn't one that you'd even consider... I appreciate the tier you operate on, but for my daily it might work.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

wkohler wrote:The damage is clearly seen in the photos. I’m sorry. A replacement center section should be on your shopping list. I have no experience with the seller but he clearly made no effort to conceal that or send you something demonstrably different from what was advertised.
No attempt to conceal, but not obvious without a very highly trained eye, such as you have. I would not have noticed the difference in angle.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

It would be silly for me to deny that I do know what to look for on these. Sorry if my previous post conveyed that I felt it was obvious. I was trying to be brief having realized that the PM reply to the OP took me to a preview of my reply instead of sending it (only does this with some members). Of course when I tried to resend, it wipes it out since so much time had passed.

I do agree the price is steep for the quality. I think I’d have scoffed at the $1000 price had I seen the ad but that wouldn’t help anyone since I’d have kept it to myself. Basically, I don’t think the seller is going to provide a replacement part or a partial refund.

I have had great success straightening some of these parts. I’d say at this point you have nothing to lose.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Following up.
Took the bumper to a metal worker- he isn't done with it yet but is pessimistic that it will be presentable.

On another note, I tried building the rear bumper today so that I could post for sale. Seller did include new carriage bolts but no nuts. While putting it back together, I could not align the square holes on the left wing, center piece and the cover. Previous carriage bolt had been cut out and looks like some warping. Wondering if I just bought a collection of pieces that I will have to sell individually!

Upon re-reading the ad, I feel that minimally I should be able to mount the bumpers and enjoy them on my daily- that is what the ad says. Pissed!