ACC E28 Carpet review

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
BenGerman

ACC E28 Carpet review

Post by BenGerman »

After some discussion with some of you and looking at the carpet that Roy ordered for the Alpina I decided to be the test mule and order an ACC carpet from Rockauto for the E28.
Good carpets will become hard to find soon, so we need alternatives.

I went ahead and ordered some samples in summer.
There is two different kinds: Cutpile and Essex. Cutpile is a thin material, while Essex is "plush".
Both of them can be had with or without sound insulation backing.

Essex Vs. Cutpile

Samples over factory tan carpet.

After reviewing the samples and some online research I decided to go with the thicker Essex material.
Also, I wanted to go a little darker than the faded factory "anthrazite", so my color of choice was Dark slate.

ACC quoted me $556.20 without the backing and $711.94 with the backing.
Rockauto is $249.79 and $319.79 for the same thing.
Basically the response I got from ACC is that they are not setup for retail sales and can't match the Rockauto price.

I decided to go with the backing, since I found reports online that said the fit would be nicer with.
The carpet comes without any of the cutouts. You will have to copy those over from your old carpet.
The cheap plastic foot bolster will have to go before I install the carpet. I will most likely have the upholstery shop cut a piece in the factory shape and size and sew it in.

Here is some detail pictures:

The sample piece is from a 535 with anthrazite carpet. So if you want to match that you will need the 1097A Charcoal

Next step: Testfitting. I should be able to do that in the next two weeks.
Last edited by BenGerman on Oct 22, 2018 6:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.
vinceg101

Re: ACC E28 Carpet review

Post by vinceg101 »

:popcorn:
In for the updates.
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

Pretty cool, looking forward to results.
cek

Post by cek »

Thanks for doing this Ben.

I'm really, really, looking forward to seeing how it fits!
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Ready for the updates and evaluation- if this goes well, they are about to get slammed with orders!

Thank you for volunteering- I hope you get better than expected results.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Thanks for taking on this effort!
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Checking in on your research. Very much looking forward to your findings!
funkycharms

Post by funkycharms »

Ditto - my car came with no carpet. Hoping there is a decent fitting aftermarket solution out there
BenGerman

Post by BenGerman »

The carpet is in the car, but I can't make a final statement just yet.
Since it is not precut, I will have to make all the cuts for every hole first, before I can lay it out exactly the way it should be.
Sagi

Post by Sagi »

Hi, lets assume i can get the original molded carpet from bmw for €500,the last production date is 2010.is there any chance that the acc one is a better material because its made with the latest technology ? If price wasn't an issue would one prefer the OE ? The acc look so soft.
My carpet is kaput,the PO smoked a lot so it's full of holes.
I'm waiting for your review and for the clutch spring message that its been shipped.
Thanks.
cek

Post by cek »

Sagi wrote:Hi, lets assume i can get the original molded carpet from bmw for €500,the last production date is 2010.
I would pay that amount in a HEART BEAT for a new, OE carpet set from BMW. If you really think you have a source, please, please share with me. Thanks.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

cek wrote:
Sagi wrote:Hi, lets assume i can get the original molded carpet from bmw for €500,the last production date is 2010.
I would pay that amount in a HEART BEAT for a new, OE carpet set from BMW. If you really think you have a source, please, please share with me. Thanks.
Hasn't someone asked Ivo already? Because if it is available, I'm with Charlie on this.

[I tend to think it is not, all the carpet for all the E28's come up as NLA; Silver Spring and Passport searches come back as "Part Not Found" or "Discontinued"]
BenGerman

Post by BenGerman »

cek wrote:
100%. Don’t get me wrong, the ACC carpet is decent but it needs work to be perfect. I’d be willing to pay money for a new original BMW carpet.
funkycharms

Post by funkycharms »

BenGerman wrote:The carpet is in the car, but I can't make a final statement just yet.
Since it is not precut, I will have to make all the cuts for every hole first, before I can lay it out exactly the way it should be.
Will you be using OE carpet as a template to make your cuts, or marking in car?
BenGerman

Post by BenGerman »

I decided to use the OEM carpet as a template. That’s there reason there hasn’t been a lot of updates recently.
The carpet is back in the basement, it will be a couple of weeks before I’m that far into the car again.
Ruhani579

Post by Ruhani579 »

That was a great info.
hodgepodge

Post by hodgepodge »

Hello,

Any update on this? I bought an ACC carpet in June for my project E28 M5 and am about to remove the old carpet. I am only marginally optimistic that the ACC carpet will fit correctly based on the lack of some of the molding. Also, the heel pad on the ACC piece is truly awful compared to the heal and deadpedal pad on my OEM carpet. I would punt, but the OEM carpet has a large threadbare section in the passenger side footwell and I also think it got wet at some point.

One other sticking point. The ACC carpet came as "3 pieces" which included the A-piller kickpanel/speaker covers. The set DID NOT come with any extra carpet for the lower center console or the doors if you have a car with carpet on the door panels. The ACC carpet is a different weave than OEM so it is likely that it won't match. I ended up paying an additional $95 to have a yard of matching roll carpet delivered.
Federico

Post by Federico »

Pardon my intrusion, but...
Is this not the same carpet? ...and cheaper?
https://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarp ... odelId=689

edit: NVM; I compared prices from the ACC website and not RockAuto
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Anyone tried this supplier recently?

https://worlduph.com/bmw/index.htm?gcli ... gLovPD_BwE
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

RetiredDoc wrote: Aug 19, 2020 9:42 PM Anyone tried this supplier recently?

https://worlduph.com/bmw/index.htm?gcli ... gLovPD_BwE
Maybe if they are contacted directly, but E28 carpet sets come up as "No Longer Available" on their site.
Fanclutchnut

Post by Fanclutchnut »

I’m curious to see if there are any updates to this. Our M5 didn’t come with a carpet. It did come with some padding sets. Are the ACC carpets an acceptable option? Would anyone know what their comparable color is to Natur?

Thx,
jca

Post by jca »

Just saw this thread. I recently installed an ACC carpet set in my 84 528e. Out of the package it appeared identical to the pics posted above. I went whole hog and installed sound deadener and jute padding before laying the carpet. I found that the molding of the carpet was not very accurate to the shape of the floor plan so I ended up doing a bunch of cutting and patching to get any kind of fit. The good news is that I had enough left over carpet to do my parcel shelf, and when the seats are back in the car and all else is reinstalled the job looks decent. Quality and appearance of the carpet is excellent. To install a hot glue gun was my friend