528e having a oil flicker issue and fuel pump

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
InertiaStatus

528e having a oil flicker issue and fuel pump

Post by InertiaStatus »

87' 528e constastly having a oil pressure light flicker. kinda drawing a blank.

also sitting at a red light idling im having 10 PSI show up for oil pressure. is that too low lol.

I know any oil pressure is better than none but want to see if its a bad oil pump I should be looking for ass swell as a fuel pump for my random cut-outs.

CheeRS
cscracker

Re: 528e having a oil flicker issue and fuel pump

Post by cscracker »

10psi is a little low but not catastrophically so. With a fresh pump and everything working as intended, it should be around 14-15psi (1 bar) at idle on a warm engine. The spec is 0.5 bar - 2.0 bar, pretty wide. If you have a gauge hooked up, also check that the oil pressure increases with the RPM as normal.

Your light is probably flickering due to a bad connection or failed pressure switch, they commonly fail too, so replace it. When it's working properly, the pressure switch triggers below 7psi.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I thought the switch was 6 PSI, but whichever, it's close enough. More info though, how hot is it outside? Does the car run hot? What oil are you running, 20-50 is called for under most conditions and if you've got an oil change place special 5-30 a flickering light would almost be expected.
anpk05

Post by anpk05 »

I replaced the pressure switch, oil pump, oil pan (because damaged), and i get the flickering when engine is warmed. oil changed with 20w50.

I picked up a 535i and the 528e is just sitting now, :cry:
ScottKendall

Post by ScottKendall »

Wait. You replaced the pump and pan. That's a lot of work and no fix. I'm sad for you.

I'm going to throw out an idea, and others can tell me I'm wrong. Maybe the real answer will be in a reply. Could you have a clog between the pump and the pressure switch? What if you change the oil to say, 10/40 or 10/30 or even straight 30, and see if the lighter weight makes it past the clog and bumps the pressure. You can always switch back the oil if this fails. It's lots of wasted oil, but not much wasted labor time :up:

I would not suggest some sort of flush unless you can take off the pan. Word is that the sludge can run down and plug up the pump.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

ScottKendall wrote:Wait. You replaced the pump and pan. That's a lot of work and no fix. I'm sad for you.
Yeah, I'd be sick if I did all that and no change.

Hmmm, I'm going to extrapolate a bit. There was an event that took out the oil pan and it continued to be driven. Maybe not long, but longer than push in the clutch and turn the key off. That caused significant wear to bearings, possibly crankshaft, possibly the head and or cam. Perhaps nothing real extreme, but 200K worth of wear in a minute or two. Any chance you pulled a rod cap or two and inspected them and the crank? Now you might be able to drive it for a while, possibly a long while in it's current condition, but I'd only use it as an in town type of car. It might go years or a rod might start pounding in a week. I'd look for another engine.
anpk05

Post by anpk05 »

Well, i had to replace the pan because there was a huge dent. Someone used the pan as a jack point i assume smh.

Since the pan was out i thought of doing the pump as well. Yes i know, i was disappointed to see the light back on. But it didn't come back on for about 100 miles, weird. Now its on when the engine is warm.
I might try the different oil weights as suggested.
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

I had an issue with the oil pressure light randomly flickering / hard on, once the engine was warmed up. Long story short, the cable was loose in the connector that plugged into the pressure switch and was intermitent with heat and vibration. Remade the connector and no issues since.

Regards,

Mick
rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

Ordnator wrote:I had an issue with the oil pressure light randomly flickering / hard on, once the engine was warmed up. Long story short, the cable was loose in the connector that plugged into the pressure switch and was intermitent with heat and vibration. Remade the connector and no issues since.

Regards,

Mick
During the 33 years I owned my '83 528e, I found a number of intermitent issues with its electrical connectors creating random problems such as flickering indicator lamps, odd gauge readings and other such electrical issues. As I've indicated on my web site here on MyE28.com, I adopted a schedule of cleaning ALL ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS every two years and from that time on there were not any more electrical quirks, other than outright sensor failures. My Virginia humidity was probably the main cause of electrical connector issues, given the number of them I had and that local friends also experienced.
-Rod
anpk05

Post by anpk05 »

Don't know if I posted on how I resolved this issue of flickering.
I replaced the pressure switch ones more. And used new heat shrink tubing to cover decaying wire that runs to the pressure switch.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

anpk05 wrote: Oct 12, 2020 11:27 AM Don't know if I posted on how I resolved this issue of flickering.
I replaced the pressure switch ones more. And used new heat shrink tubing to cover decaying wire that runs to the pressure switch.
That was the problem all along?
anpk05

Post by anpk05 »

Yeap. More so than the pressure switch, the white connecting to the switch was the issue I believe. It has several sections decayed over time. So just converted them with heat shrink tubing.