e30 Fuse Box Conversion

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
boogie

e30 Fuse Box Conversion

Post by boogie »

e30 fuse box.
i’ll put out the spread sheet later but my old box is currently sold so i have to get this done...new box is already running in the pic, stay tuned...
Last edited by boogie on Nov 20, 2019 10:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Ju@n

Re: Fuse Box Conversion

Post by Ju@n »

Subscribed!
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Ooooh... please write this up as a how-to!
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

NICE! Will be watching this closely...
boogie

Post by boogie »

class started up today so i won’t be putting as much time but i shipped off my box earlier so i’m still moving forward. here’s 1 part of the diagram, it’s incomplete for now so use at your own expense...but i think it’s a very good starting point if anyone finishes this before i do...also it’s from my phone so bear with me

gonna post up the parts with part numbers for all the splice connectors soon

problems so far: in the e30, the headlight switch gets power from the fusebox. in the e28 it’s the opposite as the switch gets power directly to it. so i can’t run the wires from 9 and 10 to fuses 22 and 23 which on the are the low beams and the fault indicator for them

boogie

Post by boogie »

little update: i’ve wired up the c100, c101, c114, c115, k5 and k7 unloader relays. the e30 box has a built in low beam check relay which are the 2 wires for the 115 which eliminates that relay
boogie

Re: e30 Fuse Box Conversion

Post by boogie »

haven’t been on this in a while but i’m getting ready to finish it up. need a few pins from bmw and we’re off
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Great! Let us know how you managed to pull it off in the end.
Was wire splicing necessary? Did you need to change some circuits in the e28 for the fusebox to work? does it physically fit in the same place as the original fusebox?
Thanks!
boogie

Post by boogie »

Ju@n wrote:Great! Let us know how you managed to pull it off in the end.
Was wire splicing necessary? Did you need to change some circuits in the e28 for the fusebox to work? does it physically fit in the same place as the original fusebox?
Thanks!

it’s actually quite the effort.

yes lots of splicing. you have to cut out almost all the spade connectors except for the wiper relay and the other relays if you don’t want to add new but i did. i’ll elaborate more on that later.

you don’t need to change any circuits but you have to rewire quite a few to their respecting fuses since the e30 uses a pcb and has designated positions for some functions.

but the best part is that it does fit and looks a lot better than the e28 box
boogie

Post by boogie »

figured i’d update this post with some good news, i’m just about finished with the wiring of the fuse box and i’ve started a new spreadsheet to simplify the conversion for everyone attempting to do this. i’m not too good with write ups but i’ll do my best to get all the information out. and although i’ve modified my taillights, they are noticeably brighter.

important things to remember:

this job takes time
only do this if your fuse box looks like mine or worse
you WILL need a wire crimp tool
you WILL have to lengthen a number of wires
you WILL have to keep the low/high beam and fog light relays from the e28 in order for the headlight switch to work properly
you WILL hate yourself for starting this project in the beginning
you WILL not blame me if your car gets fucked up cause did it and my car is fine so i’m not responsible for your shortcomings

once i get it back together i’ll post final pictures and the spreadsheet. if anyone’s got any questions feel free to message me
cek

Post by cek »

This is awesome.

Watch this space though as a few of us have something similar (and easier) brewing.
BenGerman

Post by BenGerman »

How far is the brew Charlie?
cek

Post by cek »

BenGerman wrote: Nov 18, 2020 9:48 PM How far is the brew Charlie?
Well, if I ever get out of quarantine, and get home to the package that awaits I'll know.