Anyone have experience with Bimmerheads or their M30 cams?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
BuzzBomb

Re: Anyone have experience with Bimmerheads or their M30 cam

Post by BuzzBomb »

Racebar wrote:Long time mye28 member. I've been away from posting here since about 2006. So this is a new account for me. I thought I would share a recent experience with Ireland. Im now part of a champcar team. We have two cars with m30b35 motors. We just installed ie headers and 292 reground cams. One cam is supposedly an ie 292 grind and the other is from a company in Europe. I can ask our team member if anyone wants to know who we got it from. So engine wise the cars both have stock m30b35's, cam, headers, and megasquirt. We spent an afternoon timing with Peter Florance and came up with 193 wheel hp for the ie cam, and 209 wheel hp for the other cam. Peak torque and hp was 300 rpm lower for the ie cam and the ie cam idles much smoother than the euro cam. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with the ie cam. If you account for 10- 15 hp for the headers and megasquirt, we are seeing a 0 hp increase for the ie cam. I'm not even sure yet the cam we installed is what we were told that we bought. My plan is to measure and report back to Jeff Ireland. I thought I was share this as a data point for those of you looking at cams. I'll post Dyno graphs here when I get them.
You can have two identical engines and have substantial HP and torque differences.
Do you have the specs on both cams? Comparing two different "292" cams means nothing without knowing their total lift, lobe offset, etc., and assuming two cams with a similar duration with everything else unknown will behave the same in two different engines is just silly.
"I'm not even sure yet the cam we installed is what we were told that we bought" sounds like you are making an insinuation that IE and or Jeff Ireland is guilty of wrongdoing or misrepresenting something. I don't know you, and have zero confidence in anything you've said so far. Welcome back!
ROOTS.

Re: Anyone have experience with Bimmerheads or their M30 cam

Post by ROOTS. »

SlickDizzy wrote: Jan 11, 2018 4:56 PM I had a similar question. The Schrick 284 (which Paul Burke called "80's technology") is a high lift cam with relatively low duration. So if that's an old design, and the Cat Cams 294 with less lift and more duration is also an old design, what is a good "modern" M30 cam? Obviously the M30 camshaft market is not exactly massive but nothing seems to offer a worthwhile benefit beyond the B35 cam.

The Dbilas 288 is an interesting design with lift similar to the Schrick but slightly more duration. I can't seem to find anyone who's run a Dbilas M30 cam, though.
I run this exact cam in my M30B30 with triple Weber 45’s, 123 dizzy and STOCK exhaust manifold. Put down 200bhp at the wheels. Power comes on from 3k to 6250/6350rpm and falls off sharply at 6500. Peak torque is 200Ibs arrives at 4400rpm

I find it quite a tractable cam for street use even with the Weber’s and some retuning needed when the exhaust manifold and side exit is fitted. Has some stumbling between 2200-2700rpm which was tricky to iron out on dyno with stand-off occurring. Decided to call it a day and revisit when exhaust is installed for another session.