DIY sanden compressor install on a 535is

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
benloveless1

Re: DIY sanden compressor install on a 535is

Post by benloveless1 »

demetk wrote:The hose specs above are for the 18" wide x 16" high condenser that has a #8 inlet port and a #6 outlet port.

Note that because the compressor on the M5 will need to be clocked at 90 degrees the hose lengths and clocking angles of the fittings will change.

If you're hesitant on ordering made up hoses from the specs above, I would suggest you buy the fittings and hoses separately, cut the hoses to length and loose fit the fittings in place. Once you're satisfied with the fit, mark the fittings to the hoses and have them crimped at a local a/c shop.

1.) on the large suction hose #10 all they have available is the BL1313-3 it states it is a suction port and not a charge port. Any Ideas here? Im doing R134a
2a.) Also not seeing a 135 degree o ring hose without some sort of discharge or sucton port on it.
2b.) This hose is available without issues!
3a.) Didnt't even attempt because I am not going to attempt to braze
3b.) ColdHose is cosidering this #8-#6 or #6-#8?
demetk

Post by demetk »

1.) on the large suction hose #10 all they have available is the BL1313-3 it states it is a suction port and not a charge port. Any Ideas here? Im doing R134a
That will work. They call it a suction port because on r134 the two low and high side ports are different.
You can use that one.
I would use the #8-#6 fitting (either BL1308 or RB1308) and follow 3a. Condenser to filter drier hose (option 1). I've reworded it to fit the nomenclature coldhose uses.
3a. Condenser to filter drier hose (option 1).
Condenser fitting: #6 - 90 degree, clocked at 12 o’clock
Filter drier fitting: #8 (fitting end) to #6 (hose end) - 45 degree, clocked at 3 o’clock.
Hose length: 16" #6 hose.
Let me know if this helps.
benloveless1

Post by benloveless1 »

demetk wrote:
That will work. They call it a suction port because on r134 the two low and high side ports are different.
You can use that one.
I would use the #8-#6 fitting (either BL1308 or RB1308) and follow 3a. Condenser to filter drier hose (option 1). I've reworded it to fit the nomenclature coldhose uses.
Filter drier fitting: #8 (fitting end) to #6 (hose end) - 45 degree, clocked at 3 o’clock.
with using method 3a will i still need to do any brazing?
demetk

Post by demetk »

With that #8-#6 fitting no brazing is necessary.
benloveless1

Post by benloveless1 »

demetk wrote:
You can use that one.

1308 is a straight fitting with no degree bent. Didn't you mean a 90 degree if this line is coming from the condenser?
benloveless1

Post by benloveless1 »

"I would use the #8-#6 fitting (either BL1308 or RB1308) and follow 3a. Condenser to filter drier hose (option 1). I've reworded it to fit the nomenclature coldhose uses."

If this is true I need the following:
16" #6 Hose
BL1421 and Bl1418 Clocked at 3
demetk

Post by demetk »

Sorry, made a mistake, I must have scrolled down to the straight fittings. Thanks for catching it.

If you want to do #6 hose then,

At the drier: SB1318 (steel) #8 - # 6 45 Degree O-ring Fitting - clocked at 3 o’clock, https://coldhose.com/fittings/oring/fem ... -1891.html

At the condenser, bottom port: SB1321 (steel) or BL1321 (aluminum) # 6 90 Degree O-ring Fitting - clocked at 12 o’clock, https://coldhose.com/fittings/oring/fem ... tting.html

Does that make more sense?

BL1421 is a male o-ring fitting which is not used on our systems. All fittings are female o-ring.
benloveless1

Post by benloveless1 »

demetk wrote:Sorry, made a mistake, I must have scrolled down to the straight fittings. Thanks for catching it.

At the drier: SB1318 (steel) #8 - # 6 45 Degree O-ring Fitting - clocked at 3 o’clock, https://coldhose.com/fittings/oring/fem ... -1891.html

At the condenser, bottom port: SB1321 (steel) or BL1321 (aluminum) # 6 90 Degree O-ring Fitting - clocked at 12 o’clock, https://coldhose.com/fittings/oring/fem ... tting.html

BL1421 is a male o-ring fitting which is not used on our systems. All fittings are female o-ring.

Do I have to use the steel fitting on the drier side?
demetk

Post by demetk »

benloveless1 wrote:
demetk wrote:Sorry, made a mistake, I must have scrolled down to the straight fittings. Thanks for catching it.

I don't think the 1318 is available in aluminum.
benloveless1

Post by benloveless1 »

demetk wrote:
benloveless1 wrote:

I don't think the 1318 is available in aluminum.
Last question, how do you tell if its a male or female fitting by the number?
demetk

Post by demetk »

Click on the part number and take a look at the details: "Female Oring 45 Degree"
cek

Post by cek »

My guy who does mobile R12 refills (and 134) says there are differences between R12 and 134 expansion valves. They are tuned differently.

Has anyone taken the trouble to replace the E28 valve with an 134 valve (e.g. from an E36?) when upgrading their systems with a parallel-flow condenser and new compressor?

In my case, with an S54, my thinking is currently:

- E46 compressor
- 18x18" parallel flow condenser
- E39 electric aux fan
- Dryer: E28?
- In-car condenser: stick with E28
- Expansion valve: stick with E28?

What other thoughts/suggestions do folks have?
benloveless1

Post by benloveless1 »

-Compressor is whatever will work with your swap (I’m sure you know what will work.)
-Condenser I went with a 16x18” honestly a 18x18” will be a tight squeeze but possible if moved all the way to the driver side of the radiator support
-16” spal pusher fan or oe equivalent cfm
-for the drier make sure wherever you source your parts you get an R134 compatible (autohauz and fcpeuro sell e28 r134 versions)
-oem or oe equivalent expansion valve obviously with r134 green o rings
-for the evaporator I used the 4seasons brand. Terrible fit but I bent the lines gently and made it work

cek wrote:My guy who does mobile R12 refills (and 134) says there are differences between R12 and 134 expansion valves. They are tuned differently.

Has anyone taken the trouble to replace the E28 valve with an 134 valve (e.g. from an E36?) when upgrading their systems with a parallel-flow condenser and new compressor?

In my case, with an S54, my thinking is currently:

- E46 compressor
- 18x18" parallel flow condenser
- E39 electric aux fan
- Dryer: E28?
- In-car condenser: stick with E28
- Expansion valve: stick with E28?

What other thoughts/suggestions do folks have?
klavender1

Post by klavender1 »

Can I add to the questions and ask for suggestions? I currently have my lower dash torn apart to replace the evaporator and expansion valve. I'm lucky that I work at a car dealership and can use the AC machine so I will be going with R134.
I have an 84 533i so the hoses seem to be different that listed in this thread.

Here's my plan/thoughts so far:
I already have a Behr dryer as I was hoping that was all that might be needed until I realized it was better to replace and flush everything before putting it back together.
Buy the Sanden compressor and an Ebay condenser. Best place to get the Sanden? I see some on Ebay as Sanden "style".
Buy the standard replacement evaporator and expansion valve. Rockauto seems to have the best prices.
Buy a can of AC flush and flush the lines out.
After all is installed, take the car to a specialty shop that can custom make some hoses. As my setup is different from the 535i. One of the rubber lines is crimped directly to a hard line that contains the low side valve (I think it's the low side, it's got a blue cap).

Does this sound like a good plan?
demetk

Post by demetk »

You need to check the type of compressor mount on your car. The a/c brackets that I made may not be suitable. Post some pics of the compressor bracket and the hose you are talking about.
klavender1

Post by klavender1 »

Yeah I don't think your brackets will fit. This is a weird looking compressor and I can't anything like it when searching. I'm "assuming" it isn't a Bosch/Behr and that's the only compressor I can find. Any help here would be appreciated. The line that I was worried about does connect at the same spot as the original post. But if I replace that I lose the low side fitting. So no clue there.

Image0619191818b

Image0620191743a

Image0620191746_HDR

Image0620191742
klavender1

Post by klavender1 »

The high side fitting was on the dryer itself. The fittings have been changed over to R134 at some point in the past. Not sure why there are 2 additional fittings on the compressor itself.
demetk

Post by demetk »

Bummer. I'm wondering if the new style compressor mount from a later e28 535 would fit without issues? Not sure if anyone has tried that and reported it.

It's also may be possible to fit the sanden on your mount without to much fabbing. :)
klavender1

Post by klavender1 »

Doing some more digging, it appears I have a 1975-1984 M30 (and other engines) Bosch compressor. To be honest it seemed to work as in the clutch engaged when I pushed the AC button in the car. But when we tried to fill it with freon, the AC machine's gauges indicated there was a blockage somewhere. So I thought replacing all components was the wisest course of action. Plus flushing the lines and using the green orings. I guess I need to figure out the mounting. Unfortunately the 88 parts car I bought doesn't have a compressor mounting bracket.

Edit:
Searching Realoem, it calls it a "OSCILLATING PLATE COMPRESSOR". So I google that and come up with a company that remans them and will fit my car, http://www.qccompressor.com/BMW_533i_19 ... Plate.html. Has anyone heard of or used QC Compressor before? I think I can use this, some new hoses and an Ebay condenser.
Chimi-Changa

Post by Chimi-Changa »

Thiank you for this thread! ( also vote Stickty)

Working an 18x 18" PFC in with an oil cooler below. All the way to the drivers side should still have room for fittings and hoses.

It will be tight but should be able to access the bottom connector

brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

so what's the best fitting condenser size 21"x21" or 18"x16" ... the bigger the better?
demetk

Post by demetk »

My opinion? The bigger the better.
klavender1

Post by klavender1 »

I need clarification on fitting sizes. If a fitting is a #8, that's 3/4". Is that the nut size?

I ask because you mention a #8 fitting going to the drier but both of my original hoses going to the drier has 7/8" nut sizes. Which would be a #10.

There's only one place around here to get custom hoses and they are an hour away and open the same time I work and can't really take off work any time soon to go.
demetk

Post by demetk »

This site has a good description https://www.uacparts.com/legacy/UACProd ... _Info.html

I have not seen a #10 fitting connected to a drier. I have 4 cars and they all are 3/4". I pic of your would help.
klavender1

Post by klavender1 »

Thanks for the link. I'll remeasure using that.