Belly pan worth the trouble?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
lkfoster

Post by lkfoster »

I notice that the early e28s came with a shroud beneath the front end of the engine. I'm guessing it's for aerodynamics as all the new cars have similar covers. Has anybody done a before-and-after comparison to see if there's any noticable difference in fuel economy, engine cooling or high speed stability?
pdx 528e

Post by pdx 528e »

My engine cooling is significantly improved with the splash panel installed. It keeps water from getting on the belts too. I don't think the aerodynamics are improved much below 80-90 mph in my experience.
originalMJG

Post by originalMJG »

any pictures? mines an '82 and i dont have one :(
a

Post by a »

Ted Kalman has 1 on his M5351. It has to be removed to drain the oil. Ted reports that it improves handling above 80mph. by adding down pressure to the front end.
pdx 528e

Post by pdx 528e »

I'll try to get a picture tonight. I have the stock early one, not the Mtech one, which covers much more of the underside. Mine does not impact the ability to change oil. First time I ever had a buddy help me with my car he tried to throw away the shroud because E28s "aren't racecars". I think a handful of independent mechanics had this same idea through the 80's, as most E28s don't seem to have them anymore.
lkfoster

Post by lkfoster »

[QUOTE="pdx 528e"]I'll try to get a picture tonight. I have the stock early one, not the Mtech one, which covers much more of the underside. Mine does not impact the ability to change oil. First time I ever had a buddy help me with my car he tried to throw away the shroud because E28s "aren't racecars". I think a handful of independent mechanics had this same idea through the 80's, as most E28s don't seem to have them anymore.[/QUOTE]

Does it look like item #6 on the ETK?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=70&hl=25

I'm in PDX for awhile, maybe you can tell where the car is parked at night and I can come over and steal yours. :D
pdx 528e

Post by pdx 528e »

[QUOTE="lkfoster"]Does it look like item #6 on the ETK?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=70&hl=25

I'm in PDX for awhile, maybe you can tell where the car is parked at night and I can come over and steal yours.[/QUOTE]

#6 is the one I have. Now you can spend the time removing mine in the dark, but you will find that its not worth stealing :D :D . Since it has a large tear I epoxied a metal strap to reinforce it. Hey if you are in our neck of the woods, I'm sure a couple of us locals could meet up for beer or food. Typically do so on Thurdays anyhow. 503-three six seven-1144
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Were those stock? I've never seen one, and I've seen lots of E28's in the yards. Probably
over a hundred and I've never seen evidence of one. I was envisioning something a little
more basic than that, thinking I could get some sheet aluminum and fab it in there, but
it looks a little more involved. I do have terrible problems with the power steering belt
getting wet and losing power steering after one of our many potholes. And yes, that
is with a tight belt.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Jeremy »

I may be mistaken, but I think that shield only fits correctly behind the early valance. My 82 528e had one until I threw it away. There wasn't much of it left, I think it was only held up on one side.

Jeremy
Rich Euro M5

Post by Rich Euro M5 »

My Euro M5 has the full Engine underscreen and I know Duke's M535i has the same panel as mine. It's looks like Item #14 in the illustration you posted.

A couple of years ago Ethan Turner "Evil M5" was complaining about the light, driving on ice, feel of his Euro'd (Euro bumpers, headlights, front chin spoiler) US / NA M5 at high speed. I suggested he install the engine underscreen which he did do. Ethan reported back that the underscreen fixed the problem.

I know from my own personal experience, my deceased 533i tended to get light in the front at about 100 mph. My Euro M5 only has the chin spoiler and underscreen, no rear spoiler, and is rock solid way above 100 mph. I've been up to 140 mph and it felt fine. The downside to the engine underscreen, it turns the engine bay into a Black Hole !!! You don't want to drop anything while working on the engine, if you do you'll be under the car pulling the underscreen.

Rich
pdx 528e

Post by pdx 528e »

I know mine came with the car (parents were original owners) and it was not an option or upgrade. 9/82 528e. As for mounting, I do not know whether it is limited to early cars. It attaches to 2 studs on each frame rail (I think), and two large sheet metal screws hold the front end to the bottom of the radiator support. I think it would be easy to fab one from fiberglass, which appears to be the original material, using the original part as a template.
richardb

Re: Belly pan worth the trouble?

Post by richardb »

bringing this one back from the dead. I ordered a new belly pan for my 84 533i part number 51471901581. However, the suggested nuts in the diagram to mount to the car (6 nuts total) are slightly too big for the studs on the car. It is calling for these M6 nuts with plate: 07147134319

link to realoem diagram here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... 1471901581

thanks!
richardb

Post by richardb »

Wow, it only took me six months time to finally complete this job. I pulled the car out of storage today and installed the belly pan 51471901581.

The nut called for by RealOEM is wrong. Don't bother.

The correct nut is a plastic nut 16131176747. You will need six of them.

Hope it helps someone else out there!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

richardb wrote: Nov 21, 2020 9:01 PM Wow, it only took me six months time to finally complete this job. I pulled the car out of storage today and installed the belly pan 51471901581.

The nut called for by RealOEM is wrong. Don't bother.

The correct nut is a plastic nut 16131176747. You will need six of them.

Hope it helps someone else out there!
Pictures, we want pictures! :pics!:
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

Just to respond to the thread question, I installed the 51471929114 splash guard/belly pan on my 535i, and it made a HUGE difference in cooling efficiency when moving at low/moderate speeds, as measured with a calibrated VDO gauge. The wind noise is also a lot quieter at freeway speeds. I did have to trim the oil pan cutout a small amount to clear my B35 pan though.

Not my pics, but this is what it looks like:
cek

Post by cek »

Damn you for posting this.
richardb

Post by richardb »

Start this video at the 7:37 minute mark and you'll see the belly pan I installed.

https://youtu.be/1kaxe2c9UxM?t=457
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

cek wrote: Nov 22, 2020 11:52 AM Damn you for posting this.
Charlie's going to be on the prowl for one. :laugh: