e46 Heater Valve Retrofit

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
cek

Re: e46 Heater Valve Retrofit

Post by cek »

Actually, made of 1/16" aluminum, un-finished makes it very economical.

If I got FIVE people to commit I could do it for $20 + postage!

NOTE THIS IS FOR Eta's only. It will not work on a 535. I have no idea about a 533 or other weird E28.
Coldswede
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

cek wrote:Actually, made of 1/16" aluminum, un-finished makes it very economical.

If I got FIVE people to commit I could do it for $20 + postage!

NOTE THIS IS FOR Eta's only. It will not work on a 535. I have no idea about a 533 or other weird E28.
I will commit to one Charlie
Xtra Big Kahuna

Post by Xtra Big Kahuna »

A very similar bracket would work well for the 535. I have yet to take some measurements and design one but something like this would work quite well, I think. I need to pull some actual measurements as I just made these up but this is the general idea of the bracket needed for a 535.

cek

Post by cek »

Xtra Big Kahuna wrote:A very similar bracket would work well for the 535. I have yet to take some measurements and design one but something like this would work quite well, I think. I need to pull some actual measurements as I just made these up but this is the general idea of the bracket needed for a 535.

Is the bend really needed?

A bend adds about $5 per part.

If you get all the dimensions sorted I can add it to my design as a second part. There may be some cost efficiency for doing that.
jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

I'll commit to one for the M30 if you make them!
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

I had the airbox removed from the e46 last night and noticed the heater valve was right there on the left strut tower, so I thought I'd share some photos to show how it's mounted on that car. Mounting the e46 valve on an e28 and routing the hoses seems to have proven to be a bit of a challenge, and I had been thinking it may work to rig up to a mount to put the valve in a similar location and maybe even use the hoses from the e46. Wouldn't take much to make an improvement on the mounting location on the e28, especially for the eta with it tacked to the firewall down below the brake booster.

I highlighted the two hoses a bit to set them off from the rest of the under-hood grunge. Click the images to open the monster-size versions.

Xtra Big Kahuna

Post by Xtra Big Kahuna »

While I agree that the e28 mounting spots for the valve do suck I think that relocating the valve is going to take a lot more work than just fabbing a bracket or just cutting out a section of the firewall and welding a new piece into place.

I have to take a look at mine again since I haven't much time to work on the project, school and work ya' know, but it may be possible to find a spot that is a bit lower down or something.
DanOKC

Post by DanOKC »

This is not 100% finished, but functional. Weather is 26 degrees today at 2 PM, I did this install last nite, will finish it maybe tomorrow, when we have 47 degree temps & I'm not so tired & sore from other work. Since this thread didn't have an M30 install, here is one from 88 535is. The sheet metal bracket that the original heater valve attaches to is still on the firewall. It will need to be at the very least bent or modified to make a bit more space, or possibly removed, used as a template to make a new bracket for this valve. i just popped a zip tie on it a minute ago. Only hose mod I had to do, was a letter L shape. I used 11531277887 hose I had left over from my 83 M20. I just cut off the end that had the right angle. Soaked one end in hot water for a few minutes to make it slip onto the valve. I have a metal 3/8" pipe to join the 2 hoses. It will easily sit back another 1/2 inch to inch & lower also, once the old bracket is modified or replaced.
cek

Post by cek »

Nice work. I'm putting the one I bought on my blue car. It'll have an S54 so should feel right at home.
boogie

Post by boogie »

anyone still making brackets?
pennybond

Post by pennybond »

Charlie, I would be in for an m20 bracket. Thanks!
cek

Post by cek »

pennybond wrote:Charlie, I would be in for an m20 bracket. Thanks!
So would I. Too bad I'm not making any.
pennybond

Post by pennybond »

Dang. I guess I'll have to hack my own!
528elover

Post by 528elover »

Just saw this thread. My crappy MTC valve appears to be failing and I'm tired of replacing it. So, I'm in for a bracket, too, if you are still making them, Charlie. Thanks!
demetk

Post by demetk »

If you don't mind, I'm adding to this thread instead of making a new one.

Here's an e46 valve installed on an M6 with a sheet metal bracket that you can make in like 30 minutes.

The bracket,

Removed the rubber grommets and tapped the holes with an m6 tap,

Attached the bracket with some short m6 bolts,

For the wiring I simply soldered an existing connector I had handy to the valve and epoxied it in place,

Hose layout. Sharkbite 1" barbed fitting was used to connect 2 pieces of hose together,

Just clears the intake manifold on the M6. It should be a lot more room on the M30,

cheers
Last edited by demetk on Jan 23, 2019 9:43 AM, edited 3 times in total.
cek

Post by cek »

demetk wrote:If you don't mind, I'm adding to this thread instead of making a new one.

Here's an e46 valve installed on an M6 with a sheet metal bracket that you can make in like 30 minutes.

Just clears the intake manifold on the M6. It should be a lot more room on the M30,

cheers
Hero.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Quite timely, demetk -- I'm about to do this myself. Where'd you get the Sharkbite fitting(s)?
demetk

Post by demetk »

Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

demetk wrote:Nice prices from here: http://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/p ... _id=PXC100.
Ah, you used a ribbed (as opposed to barbed) coupler. Not what I was thinking of when you said "Sharkbite," but it looks as if it would work well if you don't already have a bunch of barbed fittings already on hand (as I do).
demetk

Post by demetk »

Shawn D. wrote:
demetk wrote:Nice prices from here: http://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/p ... _id=PXC100.
Ah, you used a ribbed (as opposed to barbed) coupler. Not what I was thinking of when you said "Sharkbite," but it looks as if it would work well if you don't already have a bunch of barbed fittings already on hand (as I do).
Not what I envisioned either when they called them barbed fittings. I guess they use the term loosely. Like here for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... lsrc=aw.ds
camplo

Post by camplo »

There was a post on the first page that states the flow is reversed compared to the stock valve. Why would it matter the direction of the flow?
demetk

Post by demetk »

camplo wrote:There was a post on the first page that states the flow is reversed compared to the stock valve. Why would it matter the direction of the flow?
On the e46 valve, the coolant inlet hose connects to the bottom port on the valve. When the solenoid isn't activated, coolant flow against the plunger keeps the valve open. If you connect it the other way, then the flow will be strong enough to overcome the very weak spring on the plunger and will seat the plunger. There is a arrow on the valve showing the direction of flow. The hose attached to the back of the head is the inlet hose.
knunger

Post by knunger »

Has anyone found a better HCV to retro fit? The e46 valves are now north of $100.

I'm going to go ahead with e46 valve unless someone comes up with something better. I mean. it's a friggin' solenoid valve!

Any additional tips will be much appreciated!
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

The vast majority of cars new and old use vacuum or mechanical operation for heater valves; only the Germans seem to mess with putting a solenoid right on the valve.

Converting to vacuum operation would allow for a much wider range of options, I'd bet some of which are much closer to the original valve's shape. I recently discovered that my heater valve was bypassed completely so I'm looking into doing just that.

For instance, water-cooled Porsche guys are a big fan of these "Factory Air" brand valves that cost a whopping $20.

Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

SlickDizzy wrote:The vast majority of cars new and old use vacuum or mechanical operation for heater valves; only the Germans seem to mess with putting a solenoid right on the valve.

Converting to vacuum operation would allow for a much wider range of options, I'd bet some of which are much closer to the original valve's shape. I recently discovered that my heater valve was bypassed completely so I'm looking into doing just that.

For instance, water-cooled Porsche guys are a big fan of these "Factory Air" brand valves that cost a whopping $20.

Those valves are generally only on/off for a long time. They don't pulsate like an E28's valve does.

To implement this, you'll have to add a vacuum solenoid, and depending on how much juice that solenoid needs, a relay to power it.