LED tails? (Update: LED reverse lights installed!)

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Gustav129

Re: LED tails? (Update: LED reverse lights installed!)

Post by Gustav129 »

Looking for an update...

Did you guys end up keeping the LED's on the interior?
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Good lord, man... This thread is older than dirt!

I'm still running LEDs in the following positions:
- Rear side markers
- Rear parking lights
- Rear turn signals
- Front turn signals
- City lights
- Interior lights
- Reverse lights

Rear parkies, reverse, and turns:

Front turns & city lights:

Rear side parkies:

Interior:

The camera on my iPhone makes the LEDs appear a bit brighter than reality, but... you get the idea.
Gustav129

Post by Gustav129 »

LOL It's not like some that were bumped from 2008 I saw earlier. I just wanted an update, as I am ordering "bulbs" that you and CEK used.

I also had the same problem as CEK on the BMW when I purchased cheaper multi led lights. Only one would work, doesn't matter which bulb.
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

The rear fog light will be using the same LED as the rear parkies, once I finally get off my ass and wire it up. I've only had it on my to-do list for the past two years, so, should have that done any decade now.
tomcinric

Post by tomcinric »

Sylvania Zevo Bulbs have proven great on my car!

Swapped reverse, brake, turn, sidemarker (front and rear) with LED.

DavidE9

Post by DavidE9 »

Posting for posterity.

I installed LEDs for my turn signals which resulted in hyperflash. I tried a couple different flasher relays, with the following make/model working:

CF13GL-02
superbrightleds.com

Now I have super bright brake and indicator lights with no hyperflash.
Philo

Post by Philo »

Any updates on LED lighting options ? To bad there isn't an all-in-one option that replaces the OE mounting plate.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Philo wrote: May 18, 2023 3:41 PM ...To bad there isn't an all-in-one option that replaces the OE mounting plate.
I hear the siren song of a project I can do...
Philo

Post by Philo »

Do it, PLEASE !!

So the metal power plate for what we have now will provide a mounting plate for a wired LED conversion. At least this is where my brain is going. I'm not sure how you would wire it from the existing wiring harness plug but in concept I think it's doable. Thoughts ?
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

I'd say it's doable. If one were to replace the back side of the light housing with a circuit board populated with LEDs, perhaps....
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now, actually. I've figured out most of it, big thing I'm still working out is a mount system. If anyone has ideas (good or otherwise) I'm open to hearing them
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Galahad wrote: May 18, 2023 6:52 PM I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now, actually. I've figured out most of it, big thing I'm still working out is a mount system. If anyone has ideas (good or otherwise) I'm open to hearing them
I'm excited to see what you've come up with!
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

e28Sean wrote: May 18, 2023 8:17 PM I'm excited to see what you've come up with!
Full circuit board replacement, avoid the current power distribution system entirely. I've done some preliminary testing and I should have decent beam pattern and I have a good idea what sort of LED setup I need. I have a couple mounting ideas but I'm not super happy with any of them right now - as much as I'd be willing to use hot glue on my car, that's not exactly a great solution for customers.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Hmm... competition for my LEDs which I haven't produced in ages! I need to get back in production, then!
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Would this be a full taillamp assembly replacement? I ask because I'm running clear lenses, and although I would love to try out a nice all LED solution, I really like this look.

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

e28Sean wrote: May 23, 2023 9:39 AM Would this be a full taillamp assembly replacement? I ask because I'm running clear lenses, and although I would love to try out a nice all LED solution, I really like this look.

This would be an attachment for the rear of the existing housing, I'm planning on using colored LEDs so you could keep the clears. I'm not a fan of them on chrome but I like the look on shadowline housings.
Shawn D. wrote: May 23, 2023 3:52 AM Hmm... competition for my LEDs which I haven't produced in ages! I need to get back in production, then!
haha, I'd seen old threads about that - I liked the solution but want to go in a slightly different direction. If you do end up making more I can suggest places to get them made if you're interested.
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Galahad wrote: May 23, 2023 10:28 AM This would be an attachment for the rear of the existing housing, I'm planning on using colored LEDs so you could keep the clears. I'm not a fan of them on chrome but I like the look on shadowline housings.
I'm intrigued... Looking forward to seeing more.
Machtig

Post by Machtig »

Reviving this thread. Other than an LED specific flasher to correct hyper flash has anyone running LEDs had any issues with triggering lamp or brake light warnings?
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Machtig wrote: Sep 27, 2023 3:49 PM Reviving this thread. Other than an LED specific flasher to correct hyper flash has anyone running LEDs had any issues with triggering lamp or brake light warnings?
Yes, it's been discussed in multiple threads. Here's one (please do not complain about the missing photos; if you do, it'll be clear you didn't go through the entire thread): viewtopic.php?t=145409
Machtig

Post by Machtig »

thank you sir 👍🏻 , missed that one.
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Galahad wrote: May 23, 2023 10:28 AM
e28Sean wrote: May 23, 2023 9:39 AM Would this be a full taillamp assembly replacement? I ask because I'm running clear lenses, and although I would love to try out a nice all LED solution, I really like this look.
This would be an attachment for the rear of the existing housing, I'm planning on using colored LEDs so you could keep the clears. I'm not a fan of them on chrome but I like the look on shadowline housings.
Shawn D. wrote: May 23, 2023 3:52 AM Hmm... competition for my LEDs which I haven't produced in ages! I need to get back in production, then!
haha, I'd seen old threads about that - I liked the solution but want to go in a slightly different direction. If you do end up making more I can suggest places to get them made if you're interested.
Galahad Any updates? Did anything ever come of this? I'd love an update, if there is one. With Shawn D no longer doing his LED shenanigans, someone's got to carry the torch.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

e28Sean wrote: Feb 22, 2024 7:22 PM

Galahad Any updates? Did anything ever come of this? I'd love an update, if there is one. With Shawn D no longer doing his LED shenanigans, someone's got to carry the torch.
This is still a project I'm working on, and I've solved most of the electrical hurdles. Progress has been a bit slow, I've been prioritizing the E3/E9 and 2002 fuse box products. I haven't come up with a way to mount the circuit board to the existing housing that I'm happy with - trying to not have "hot glue" as the official solution. Feel free to suggest ideas if you have any.

I'm considering redoing the check relay circuit as part of the kit to keep the panel lights acting correctly, depends on exactly how I implement things.
Philo

Post by Philo »

Money in hand waiting.. Please, please please..
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Philo wrote: Feb 26, 2024 12:04 PM Money in hand waiting.. Please, please please..
noted ;)
Badger

Post by Badger »

I would purchase a set also