Had the tranny and Diff oil changed and the place used 75w90

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Rich in Tupelo

Post by Rich in Tupelo »

with LSD agent for both tranny and Diff. I know the guy and the place and never had any problems with the work they have done but I recall reading the the Bentley that the tranny should use GL4. Will the GL5 cause any issues???

Thanks

Rich
pdx 528e

Post by pdx 528e »

[QUOTE="Rich in Savannah"]with LSD agent for both tranny and Diff. I know the guy and the place and never had any problems with the work they have done but I recall reading the the Bentley that the tranny should use GL4. Will the GL5 cause any issues???

Thanks

Rich[/QUOTE]

Rich, I filled my 528e's G260 with Redline 75W90 GL-5+ synthetic about 3 months ago, per independent shop's recommendation. I have had nothing but better shifting. The transmission hasnt had any problems, but it wasnt troublesome before the fluid change. Not sure about the LSD agent inside the transmission but I would be confident about the GL rating not being a problem.

Chris

[Edit by pdx 528e on [TIME]1107294303[/TIME]]
Rich in Tupelo

Post by Rich in Tupelo »

This is non synthetic. I was worried about it since I read that the sulfur can cause issues with the brass in the tranny (eating it). I talked to Steve H. a few minutes ago and he said to check the rating. Steve said he has been using mil spec 2105 with no problems (apparently their are different mil specs). I call the guys and the mil spec was 2105e 75w90 with lsd in both tranny and diff). So, I think I am good to go. I will keep a very close eye on it to see if it feels any different. Seems to be shifting smoother. I have noticed that I seem to hear it a little more but I had some friends who are 535 owners drive it last night and they did not notice or hear anything (could just be my normal parinoid self).

Rich
fastpat

Post by fastpat »

[QUOTE="Rich in Savannah"]This is non synthetic. I was worried about it since I read that the sulfur can cause issues with the brass in the tranny (eating it). I talked to Steve H. a few minutes ago and he said to check the rating. Steve said he has been using mil spec 2105 with no problems (apparently their are different mil specs). I call the guys and the mil spec was 2105e 75w90 with lsd in both tranny and diff). So, I think I am good to go. I will keep a very close eye on it to see if it feels any different. Seems to be shifting smoother. I have noticed that I seem to hear it a little more but I had some friends who are 535 owners drive it last night and they did not notice or hear anything (could just be my normal parinoid self).

Rich[/QUOTE]

I've used Redline MTL in two trannies now, and will be using it in others. I use the 75/90 in the diff only.
pdx 528e

Post by pdx 528e »

[QUOTE="Rich in Savannah"]This is non synthetic. I was worried about it since I read that the sulfur can cause issues with the brass in the tranny (eating it). I talked to Steve H. a few minutes ago and he said to check the rating. Steve said he has been using mil spec 2105 with no problems (apparently their are different mil specs). I call the guys and the mil spec was 2105e 75w90 with lsd in both tranny and diff). So, I think I am good to go. I will keep a very close eye on it to see if it feels any different. Seems to be shifting smoother. I have noticed that I seem to hear it a little more but I had some friends who are 535 owners drive it last night and they did not notice or hear anything (could just be my normal parinoid self).

Rich[/QUOTE]

Just to be sure, I double checked my leftover bottle, and the redline I put in is also Mil spec 2105-e. My biggest concern is that this stuff may leak out my weak rear output seal a bit faster than my conventional gear oil was. I am still debating which is more of a pain, dropping the tranny mounts enough to work on the seal under the car... or to drop the entire transmission so that I can take my time and see what im doing on a workbench. Suggestions?
smackmybutter535i

Post by smackmybutter535i »

If you are a spirited driver I reccomend using the Redline products for both tranny and diff.
Threeshifter

Post by Threeshifter »

I just happen to have a drivetrain project around the corner and I have both the Redline MTL and Gear Oil sitting in front of me.

70w80 MTL is a non-hypoid lube with the statement- "This product is not desinged for use in a rear wheel drive differential which requires a GL-5 lubricant."

75w90 Gear Oil is a hypoid lube with the following statement- "This product is not designed for use in most manual transmissions, since the extreme slipperiness may cause gear clash."

Benltey calls for (and I am confident that the BMW owners manual also):
Trans 1.3 or 1.7 quarts SAE 80 API GL-4 MIL-L2105 non-hypoid
Diff 1.9 or 2.0 quarts SAE 90 GL-5

I believe:
The hypoid gear is the type found in the diff with a more complex shape that creates a large whiping motion and a larger contact patch resulting in specific lube requirements.

Most manual transmissions have slanted but not hypoid gear shapes.

IMHO, I would change it. Not emergency style but sooner than later. At least it is not saltwater!!
fastpat

Post by fastpat »

Rich[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="pdx 528e"]Just to be sure, I double checked my leftover bottle, and the redline I put in is also Mil spec 2105-e. My biggest concern is that this stuff may leak out my weak rear output seal a bit faster than my conventional gear oil was. I am still debating which is more of a pain, dropping the tranny mounts enough to work on the seal under the car... or to drop the entire transmission so that I can take my time and see what im doing on a workbench. Suggestions?[/QUOTE]

It's unlikely to leak faster, but changing the seal if it's leaking a lot is a good idea.