Are Brembo rotors bad? Is it the runout new out of box?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
bobby in Derby City
Location: Hidin' in a bowl of rice ready to put a cap in an a$$

Post by bobby in Derby City »

Just wanted some information on this, since Balo is the house favorite. :?
Yellow2

Post by Yellow2 »

Brembo is like Sony. A name. Like any performance brakes, you are looking for improved braking along with improved cooling at the same time, with minimal brake pad wear. Brembo offers quality rotors along with Balo and Zimmerman. Drilled and slotted will yes improve braking and cooling, but at a small cost of the pads wearing down faster, but with more expensive pads, this can be overcome. A good set of rotors for the price are Zimmerman with either Maxx or PBR Ceramic I hear are good.
bobby in Derby City
Location: Hidin' in a bowl of rice ready to put a cap in an a$$

Post by bobby in Derby City »

Just talking about the regular,vented ones (no slots or cross-drilled types). TIA
Josh in BrewCity

Post by Josh in BrewCity »

From what I understand, the big difference is how the rotor is balanced. I believe the OEM BMW rotors are balanced to a higher standard than other car manufacturers require.

I am not really answering your question because I don't know which rotors are balanced how ... :?

I just upgraded the front on my car to e34 535 brakes and difference is amazing. It was recommended to me to purchase Balo ...
MarkD in NJ

Post by MarkD in NJ »

I used Brembo rotors (for the last time) on the Volvo 740 familywagon. Brake vibration right out of the box that has lasted 60,000 miles. I've never had a problem with Balo rotors. Recently installed Zimmerman x-drilled (technically cast holes, not drilled) on my E30 track car - brakes feel like they grind, but you can more easily feel when you lock a wheel or get close to it. Track pads also lasting 1/2 as long. I will be switching Balo rotors as track pads are much more expensive than rotors.
John535isMaine/Mass

Post by John535isMaine/Mass »

I've been very impressed with my Balos (from Steve Haygood). Before I replaced them, the rotors were causing a serious shimmy in the front end. Have had the new ones on for almost 20k miles and they feel great.
Yellow2

Post by Yellow2 »

what is the cost for a set of F&R Balos (from Steve Haygood)?? I would be interested in purchasing them sometime in the future.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I have one pair of Balos and one pair of Brembos on my car (I can't remember which ones are on the front and which are on the back.) I haven't had any problems, so at least in my case they've worked fine.
Mike in Louisville

Post by Mike in Louisville »

My grandfather has been having problems with Brembo rotors on his Cadillac. He's ordered about three new sets, and all of them have had runout out of the box. He knows what he's doing and has measured the rotors before installing them on the car, and they haven't been very good so far. He switched brands.
Tjn182

Post by Tjn182 »

I'm def looking into a new set of rotors all around the car -- Would everyone agree that Balo is the way to go?
Mike in Louisville

I would agree. Balos are quality and not really that expensive. Aaahhhh, nice new e34 Balos on the back!

Tjn182

Post by Tjn182 »

I guess if I order e34 Balos for the rear --- I'll need to locate some calipers w/ everything included huh? How much do those run?
Mike in Louisville

Total for e34/e32 calipers with used pads and two front used rotors....$170, courtesy of Autobahn Jim the parts pimp. Steve Haygood got me the rear Balos and a some new pads for a good price. Came with calipers and CARRIERS, make sure you get those.
Mike in Louisville

Hey Bobby, how are the 5ers coming along? What have you been up to? I just put some BavAuto springs and a few other goodies on, I'll be putting on the Z3 shifter within a month. I'm also looking at getting the car painted. We need a Wrenchfest Louisville sometime soon!
John535isMaine/Mass

Post by John535isMaine/Mass »

[QUOTE="Yellow"]what is the cost for a set of F&R Balos (from Steve Haygood)?? I would be interested in purchasing them sometime in the future.[/QUOTE]

Fronts: $45/ea
Rears: $25/ea

[Edit by John535isMaine/Mass on [TIME]1106883246[/TIME]]
Steve Haygood

Post by Steve Haygood »

how about Lemforder as a supplier on rotors, noticed those recently at the warehouse listing....e32 real good buy, less than the others at 39.00 each for the fronts
smackmybutter535i

Post by smackmybutter535i »

Hey guys are Bavarian Auto cross drilled or slotted roters any good? I hear all this talk about brembo and zimmermann but I have heard nothing about bavarian auto. I have been looking into them but I don't know of their quality.
rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

FWIW- Two pairs of Balo E32 fronts and E34 rears recently from Steve, all had max of .002 run-out and zero balance problems. In talking to others, they see the same thing, Balo's are a consistant quality product.
Steve Haygood

Post by Steve Haygood »

[QUOTE="smackmybutter535i"]Hey guys are Bavarian Auto cross drilled or slotted roters any good? I hear all this talk about brembo and zimmermann but I have heard nothing about bavarian auto. I have been looking into them but I don't know of their quality.[/QUOTE]

If you insist on crossdrilled, buy Zimmerman..prolly what Bav sells anyway...and BTW.....call me, I'll kill their price i think ;)
Josh in BrewCity

Post by Josh in BrewCity »

[QUOTE="rodpaine"] all had max of .002 run-out and zero balance problems. [/QUOTE]

This is the balancing I was talking about in the earlier post ... I wish I could remember the details.