Center support bearing

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Fredo162

Center support bearing

Post by Fredo162 »

Hey everyone, 1985 bmw 535i, does anyone know the orientation for the center support bearing? I installed it with the rubber part facing the differential but I'm starting to wonder if it's backwards. I took it for a drive and hear a very clear sound coming from that part of the driveshaft, also when I looked at it looks like the top part is leaning forward, I tried getting it straight up and down but it didn't work and preloading it before torqueing the nuts didn't help. Any help is appreciated.
jayjaya29

Re: Center support bearing

Post by jayjaya29 »

The rubber portion faces the differential.

Did you mark the halves and put it back together the same way after replacing the CSB.
Last edited by jayjaya29 on Aug 08, 2022 10:41 AM, edited 1 time in total.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

jayjaya29 wrote: Aug 08, 2022 7:39 AM The rubber portion faces the driveshaft.

Did you mark the halves and put it back together the same way after replacing the CSB.
The rubber portion always faces the driveshaft

viewtopic.php?t=54630
jayjaya29

Post by jayjaya29 »

Sorry, wasnt awake yet. Rubber portion faces the differential.
matreyia

Post by matreyia »

Here are notes on comparing aftermarket FEBI vs. Genuine BMW center bearing I made on YT.

https://youtu.be/0bCmAmnTF2M
Fredo162

Post by Fredo162 »

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll update yall once I start working on the car again. I'm picking it up from Pittsburgh tomorrow.
Fredo162

Post by Fredo162 »

Hey everyone, hope you guys see this, here are some pics of what I'm dealing with, my theory is that the CSB is pressed on too forward so when I apply the final torque on the transmission to the driveshaft flange the top portion of the CSB is pulled forward, also, when I was trying to install it with the original hardware I couldn't get the nuts on, original bolts are 55 mm long, I purchased similar hardware only the bolts are 60mm long. I'm gonna try purchasing a different CSB from FCPEuro and I'm gonna have it pressed on by a local shop. Please see attached photos, I'll keep you guys updated, in the meantime if any of you have any idea what a possible solution may be please do not hesitate to reach out, thank you all.

1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Fredo162 wrote: Aug 12, 2022 12:55 PM

Arrows on the guibo should point towards the flange.
It looks as if the one bolt is going through flange/guibo/flange, and the other bolt only going through guibo. If so, that ain't right.
The flange should be attached, looking forward, flange/guibo and guibo/flange alternately.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I'd drop the whole D/S and put it back together correctly. Sherm is right, bolts to guibo get one flange only, each. Arrows on guibo, yes, to the flange.

Then get a pic of a good driveshaft and put yours right. Bend down in the middle to install the front flange fitting the bushing on the output shaft of the transmission and lining up the rear with the diff. I think I put the drive shaft in place before bolting the guibo but I think one set of bolts were installed. Can't recall if three point forward and three to the rear.

Only turn the wrench on the flange, not on the guibo. That could deform the rubber flex disc. Rotating a nut/bolt on the flange won't deform that metal piece.

The guibo does nothing when the D/S and tranny flanges are bolted together. No rubber to absorb the power. Gonna be better with the flex disc bolted in correctly.

Then preload the CSB and tighten it.
Fredo162

Post by Fredo162 »

Blue Shadow wrote: Aug 13, 2022 12:15 AM I'd drop the whole D/S and put it back together correctly. Sherm is right, bolts to guibo get one flange only, each. Arrows on guibo, yes, to the flange.

Then get a pic of a good driveshaft and put yours right. Bend down in the middle to install the front flange fitting the bushing on the output shaft of the transmission and lining up the rear with the diff. I think I put the drive shaft in place before bolting the guibo but I think one set of bolts were installed. Can't recall if three point forward and three to the rear.
Only turn the wrench on the flange, not on the guibo. That could deform the rubber flex disc. Rotating a nut/bolt on the flange won't deform that metal piece.

The guibo does nothing when the D/S and tranny flanges are bolted together. No rubber to absorb the power. Gonna be better with the flex disc bolted in correctly.

Then preload the CSB and tighten it.
Good morning everyone, it took me a moment to understand what you guys meant, I'm looking at the manual now and I see what you're saying about the bolts alternating , it's so much more clear now, I'm gonna drop the driveshaft, get new hardware, new csb, and reinstall everything, I'll update y'all later. Thank you again for all the support.