535is from air dam

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
gwb72tii

535is from air dam

Post by gwb72tii »

So I’m new to restoring an e28, specifically a 1988 535is. The car I bought has euro bumpers which I like, but he car came without the from air dam.
So here’s the question, can an original 535is air dam be fitted to a car with euro bumpers?

Tia
Blue Shadow

Re: 535is from air dam

Post by Blue Shadow »

Yes but it would look stupid

The dam is held up by a bar supported under the US bumper. This bar has 5 supports that attach to the valance. There are two additional brackets from dam to valance at lower outside edge.

The dam bar might be able to be mounted to the valance with some creative metalwork but it will stick out a few inches in front of the bumper. This would put the dam out in front of the bumper, too, a stupid look.

Maybe with work you could mount the dam so as not to look stupid but I'd spent my time looking for an aftermarket euro air dam of which some on this board have reproduced. They look better, too
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

thanks. It would look stupid. I'm trying to find a spoiler that looks ok.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a vendor's page?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10070

Lots of dead pics and lots of parts no longer available but images of many.

Just ask in forsaleparts forum and see who has what that is € specific. Not gonna find anything new except repops without a year of searching.
Ken NC

Post by Ken NC »

The reproduction Hartge spoiler and the repro Alpina both look great on these cars. If you already have the Euro bumper, you're a good way along.

Check with Paul LaDue (he'll probably see this thread), a member here. He can hook you up.
gwb72tii

Post by gwb72tii »

Thanks
I like the Alpina and there’s also a Pfeba spoiler
Google is a pretty good resource too. Pictures with websites that sometimes are still active.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

the Euro M5 front "chin" spoiler is still available. i have one, that was purchased from these folks, and it's a true NOS unit.

https://www.classiceuroparts.com/produc ... -original/