Are all E28 and E24 Econometers equal?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
harrypalmer

Are all E28 and E24 Econometers equal?

Post by harrypalmer »

Are Econometers the same in say; the 524td, 528eta, 535i, 633i etc, and if yes, will they work on any model, regardless if auto or manual, and lastly, does it matter if the cluster is pre or post 2/86 or not? Thank you.
Nothintoseeere

Re: Are all E28 and E24 Econometers equal?

Post by Nothintoseeere »

The answer depends on are the same injectors used across all m30 engines. I think yes in which case the ecomometers should be interchangeable.
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

My 6 doesn't have an econometer but the IC is quite different than my 5 so I never thought they might be interchangeable but perhaps. I believe if you get a replacement econometer they are all designed the same. But there is a code plug on the back that I believe determines how they respond to the output from the DME or how they are calibrated for the vehicle they are in. Perhaps the code changes for M10 vs M20 vs M30, injector used and the final drive ratio.

So if you swap an econometer from another car I think use the original code plug from your car.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

I think tn535i is right, it's all in the coding plug. There might be a difference between early and late clusters, I don't know. I've seen coding plugs with several different designations on them and once left it out after cluster work. My MPG was way optimistic until I got back in there and replaced it. I don't recall if the OBC MPG was affected.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

The econometer does not know what transmission you have, so putting a "auto" one in a manual car is fine. I believe the only thing you need to make sure of is using the right coding plug.
Mike W. wrote: Sep 15, 2021 12:28 PM I think tn535i is right, it's all in the coding plug. There might be a difference between early and late clusters, I don't know. I've seen coding plugs with several different designations on them and once left it out after cluster work. My MPG was way optimistic until I got back in there and replaced it. I don't recall if the OBC MPG was affected.
The tach / econometer assembly was entirely changed for the late clusters and the coding plugs are different. It may theoretically be possible to make some sort of hybrid early / late cluster using one mid-plate and the other rear panel + main gauges, but the entire idea of doing so is silly.
The OBC has a coding plug too, I'm pretty sure the two systems are independent.
harrypalmer

Post by harrypalmer »

Belated thank you all for your replies. I've found this double function Oil Temp - Oil Pressure Cluster Gauge made for e30s https://www.ebay.com/itm/154399866291?var=454465759626 that replaces the (useless to me) econometer. And its maker, whom I have no relation with, asked me if E28 old vs new clusters would be any different, perhaps entertaining the idea of making these for E28 and E24 models as I previously urged him to do. Thank you once more.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Interesting, nice creation. But speaking for myself I really like the Econometer and shake my head when driving something without it. Or a car without an OBC like my Datsun, the supposedly upmarket QX4, a barely gussied up Pathfinder.