Timing on m20b20 problems

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Arnelvaljevcic

Timing on m20b20 problems

Post by Arnelvaljevcic »

Hello.
My bmw e28 from 83 with the engine code m20b20 runs poorly at idle. when it is cold it runs high at idle for a few minutes until I give it a gas shock and it then stabilizes. Then it sounds and runs ok. But when at operating temperature, it starts and fluctuates up and down between 700 and 1000 rpm.
I have replaced sparkplug cabel , spark plugs, rotor, power distributor cover. Had timing belt off twice to be sure the marks are on spot the crank and cam, and the mark on the power distributor is also directly in front with the rotor. It also squeals from the timing belt very weakly but the timing belt is not too tight because i had tried to tightened it completely. And then near so much.
It runned great before belt replacement.
Tried with timing gun. But can't really see that much feels like it's all over the place. I've tried adjusting with hearing. And thats where i am at this point
No leak on vakuum
Is there anything that i could possibly try.
Thanks in advance
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: Timing on m20b20 problems

Post by Shawn D. »

Did you set the plug gap?

Most of us here are familiar with the US spec cars, which don't have adjustable distributors. Does this one have the distributor on the side of the block, with a timing mark on the harmonic balancer?
Arnelvaljevcic

Post by Arnelvaljevcic »

No i have not set the plug gap.
And yes it i is with distrubitor on the side :?
Arnelvaljevcic

Post by Arnelvaljevcic »

Anybody?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

From my experience with L jet on E12s I'd guess your timing is too far advanced. Timing BMWs is weird, most cars are at idle, BMW times them at a much higher RPM. Again, on M30s with L jet, if timed where it sounds about right, it's way too far advanced. If you can't time it with the light, time it by retarding it to where it starts running pretty lousy at idle. Then try driving it and see what happens.

I don't know M20 architecture, but I'm guessing you got off a tooth on the distributor when you did the timing belt.
Arnelvaljevcic

Post by Arnelvaljevcic »

After looking through everything one more time. I noticed it sparks out through the sparkplug wires when it touches a cable og hose.
Don't understand cause the wires are brand new :roll:
Someone who can tell me what the cause is?
And what i can do to fix the problem. Maybe this can be my big problem.