Sprayed or coated?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Alberto89

Sprayed or coated?

Post by Alberto89 »

Hey guys

I want to make my air filter housing like new again. Does anyone know if this is originally sprayed or coated? Apart from the fact that I know that spraying is smoother and more beautiful, I have no experience with coating. Sounds easier to get between small pieces. Please advise how you would do this, and what comes closest to the original.

Blue Shadow

Re: Sprayed or coated?

Post by Blue Shadow »

Satin black spray paint. One of the less shiny ones is best for original look. Flat black is not right and gloss black is also the wrong look.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Not sure you can get it in NL but SEM makes a Satin Black trim paint that is a perfect match.

Do remember to thoroughly sand down the box to address the rust and use a rust preventative primer.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

From this brand? Not very well known in NL, but it can be obtained. I'll give it a try. Thank you guys! I'll post a photo when I'm done. Which clear coat can I best finish it with? I think there is only matte and high gloss.

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

That's it.
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

Get it powder coated
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

jhh925 wrote: May 08, 2021 4:44 PM Get it powder coated
Have some close up pictures?
SlickDizzy

Post by SlickDizzy »

Alberto89 wrote: May 08, 2021 12:30 PM From this brand? Not very well known in NL, but it can be obtained. I'll give it a try. Thank you guys! I'll post a photo when I'm done. Which clear coat can I best finish it with? I think there is only matte and high gloss.

What you want is SEM Trim Black.

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

jhh925 wrote: May 08, 2021 4:44 PM Get it powder coated
I was going to say that as an option.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

That SEM paint is a single stage, no clear required. I've used it a lot over the years and it's good paint.

However, now I don't recall what I used, but I haven't had good luck getting paint onto air cleaner housings. My experience is it's almost like a silicon base, paint doesn't flow, it doesn't quite bead up, but more like massive fisheye. If I'm the only one, maybe someone before me coated it with something, I don't know. But I do know a bit about paint and it did not like to be painted.

One more item of note, most, if not all in the E28 era are aluminum, so you can probably disregard the caution about rust preventive. Early ones, such as on E12s which used the same housing were steel, but I want to think all E28 era ones I've seen were Aluminum.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

SlickDizzy wrote: May 08, 2021 6:56 PM
Alberto89 wrote: May 08, 2021 12:30 PM From this brand? Not very well known in NL, but it can be obtained. I'll give it a try. Thank you guys! I'll post a photo when I'm done. Which clear coat can I best finish it with? I think there is only matte and high gloss.

What you want is SEM Trim Black.

Thanks!
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

Mike W. wrote: May 09, 2021 1:28 AM That SEM paint is a single stage, no clear required. I've used it a lot over the years and it's good paint.

However, now I don't recall what I used, but I haven't had good luck getting paint onto air cleaner housings. My experience is it's almost like a silicon base, paint doesn't flow, it doesn't quite bead up, but more like massive fisheye. If I'm the only one, maybe someone before me coated it with something, I don't know. But I do know a bit about paint and it did not like to be painted.

One more item of note, most, if not all in the E28 era are aluminum, so you can probably disregard the caution about rust preventive. Early ones, such as on E12s which used the same housing were steel, but I want to think all E28 era ones I've seen were Aluminum.
Indeed I have the aluminum version. Yesterday sanded away as much rust as possible. Not yet sprayed.

Chimi-Changa

Post by Chimi-Changa »

I stripped mine with Aircraft Remover. Then clear coated over the bare aluminum. Came out great.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

I had painted today. I decided to let him spray professionally. In retrospect, I am not so happy with it. It is "too" black and has too much shine. I'm gonna give it a try matte black. What is your opinion?

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

What paint did he use? It's tough to match sheen, especially trying to match original when it's 35 years old, but it does look a bit glossy. Not high gloss, but a bit much. As noted earlier which probably very expensive over there, SEM trim black is the standard here for low gloss. Since it's now been painted you shouldn't have any problems getting paint to stick like I've had. SEM has a bunch of different colors, the 39143 is the one you want. Or wait a bit and see if it calms down after it's less than brand new.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

He used paint from Sikkens. The SEM TRIM is very difficult to obtain. Now that you have sent me the article number I have been able to find it, thanks! I can now choose between the SEM and a 2 component paint which was advised to me in 30% gloss. The paint that is now on would also be 30% gloss, but this seems more glossy.

Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

The different <€5 spray cans of satin black, semi-gloss from the different manufacturers have different levels of sheen. Buy a few (or test em at the store) and see what they offer. Use one of them to refresh the black band across the side of the car below the doors and lower parts of the front valance. I've gone through a few cans in the years I have owned my car.

Maybe you have access to Wurth satin black. A thicker paint but should be close to proper sheen
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

Dude, get it powder coated.

Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

Blue Shadow wrote: May 13, 2021 1:12 PM The different <€5 spray cans of satin black, semi-gloss from the different manufacturers have different levels of sheen. Buy a few (or test em at the store) and see what they offer. Use one of them to refresh the black band across the side of the car below the doors and lower parts of the front valance. I've gone through a few cans in the years I have owned my car.

Maybe you have access to Wurth satin black. A thicker paint but should be close to proper sheen
I have a cheap paint from the action "matte black" I sprayed the cap you see on the picture of the "distributor cap". Then finished with a matte clear coat. That is a very beautiful color. I'm going to try with that, or with the SEM mentioned above.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

jhh925 wrote: May 13, 2021 3:36 PM Dude, get it powder coated.

Looks good. I don't like the texture of coated parts, but this looks good. If it doesn't work out this time, I'll have it coated
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

Hey guys, I sprayed him "matte black" with 2k paint. This is paint and clear coat in one and is very scratch resistant. See the difference. First photo was 30% gloss, and the last is matte black. This is the color / shine I was looking for. I’m happy 😃

Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

That 2k is the right stuff for the sheen you want.

But that 2k is that the price? powder coat woulda been cheaper...

Show us the product, which we probably can't get stateside but be nice to know what kind of product to look for.
Alberto89

Post by Alberto89 »

€ 22, - It was more important to me that the original was also painted and not coated. I like spray color topcoat more as a coating. The color they use is their own brand I suspect. See picture.

gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I've done the same thing with flat paint over semi-gloss before to get the finish I wanted. Semi-gloss or satin paint is often just a little too shiny, and a final coat of flat usually tames it down without making it dull.