What did you do to your other car(s) today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
RoyW

Re: What did you do to your other car(s) today?

Post by RoyW »

e28Sean wrote:Blacked out the trunk badges.

Nice! What model?

-RoyW
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

RoyW wrote:
e28Sean wrote:Blacked out the trunk badges.
Nice! What model?

-RoyW

2002 CLK55 AMG (W208).

GoNoles

Post by GoNoles »

Quarantine project #255...

Machine polished the E63 for the first time (14 years)
Megs 205 after clay bar, that's it

Will seal with some Klasse next

1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Well sh!t.
Ricky535

Post by Ricky535 »

Installed manual sport seats on the ZHP. Youngest son was wrenching, I was supervising :laugh:
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Replaced the Xenon bulb in the driver's side headlamp in my wife's 128i. Kind of a pain as you have to remove the air-cleaner box and mass airflow meter just to get to the headlamp cover that really just barely fits in it's space. Worth if for excellent headlight. I work at a dealer and bought the replacement from FCPeuro for about half my employee cost from BMW. Philips bulb just like what came out of it.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

repainted and installed a set of factory Marchal 750 fogs on the Mark VII. Not aimed quite right, but they're honestly more there for looks than function.
RonW

Post by RonW »

Replaced the battery in my E46 325Ci. The correct battery looks just like an E28 battery, but it's a bit longer and taller. You might be able to get it to work in an E28.

Oddly, the old battery was incorrect. In fact, it looked exactly like an E28 battery. It was the one in the car when I got it 8 years and 168k miles ago, so it doesn't owe me anything.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Started on a timing belt for the e30. I've owned it 14 years and have never changed the belt. I had no service history when I bought it so for all I know, it's the original from 1984.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

ElJeepO got:
Oil change
Tranny filter and fluid
Water pump and thermostat
a

Post by a »

I checked the oil on the Fridge because I got a "maint required soon" Whatever it is, it doesn't need oil. :laugh:
topher800

Post by topher800 »

CJ3B got a new water pump and radiator. And a new rear main seal, like the third one I've put in...will it ever stop leaking?

On the wife's allroad, swapped out the PO's AWE exhaust with 4" tips back to the OEM exhaust. Just too appalling to look at those tips, and a little louder than we want. Car has a stage 2+ upgrade, so noticed we lost a few ponies. We really enjoyed the Milltek we put in the Passat Wagon, so might look into that. Nice note, but was quiet.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Put a stock radio back in the Mark VII. Didnt like the looks or sound of the aftermarket Pioneer that was in there. Opened up the stock radio that came with it, all of the caps inside have barfed. Neither unit is the actual model the car would have come with, its a year or so newer but identical mounting, connections, etc.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

replaced the clutch, rear crankshaft seal + flange seal, input/output/shift shaft seals, fuel tank and all associated hoses, on my red s50 powered e30. for the first time, in almost ten years of ownership, it doesn't leak a single fluid. for those that know me, and this car, that is nothing short of a miracle.

AB
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

don't say that too loud. It'll grow a new leak.

replaced the AC clutch on the Mark VII. this one uses a rubber bushing as a spring instead of the usual spring for a spring. Rubber had gone flat like it does after 30 years and a bunch of miles. Clutch was dragging against the pulley, trashed both. It had been previously re-gapped so I didn't have enough shims. $30 for a 5 pack of the official shims or 25 cents for an M6 washer.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

(Can't believe this post is 4 pages back :shock: )
This past Sunday was some long needed attention being given to the E39:
I'm in process of installing a set of factory Rear Window Shades for the sedan. Most of what I was doing was prep work on the parts:
Testing for the correct paint color to match the Sand interior: Turns out it' SEM Light Buckskin #15093. This will be used on touching up the plastic trim as well as the Rear Parcel Tray:

Epoxy repairing the replacement Door Cards:

Pulled the existing ones off the door to see the damage from a non-sealed Vapor Barrier (thank you BMW Dealer Service monkeys). These will get all new Butyl Tape sealant around the complete perimeter:

See all that mildew on the bottom of the panel? Yum:

Then there was testing the jack stand adapters I had a welder mock up (and no these are not part of the recall). These fit the jack pad receivers BMW used for this generation. I guess this falls under "What Did you do in your Garage today?" (Do we have one of those threads?):
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Oh yeah: This happened some time last week to the E39:

Unfortunately it didn't happen during some momentous event or even interesting scenery (I think it was on the 405 in the Sepulveda Pass). Oh well.
Now the E39 is only a few hundred miles from that of the M535i.

(This photo taken by professional drivers on a controlled closed road course. This should not be done by amateurs.)
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

My GMC2500 has been parked outside next to the barn for the 6 months since Covid isolation started. A damn squirrel had gotten into the engine compartment, chewed the lead positive battery post on my almost new Optima $300 yellow top auxiliary battery down flush with the plastic case. There were tooth marks and lead shavings left behind as evidence. Too bad the little f*** didn’t ground himself.

I ordered a replacement post, and this morning I drilled a hole through it and into the lead below the battery case, tapped the remaining base, and bolted the replacement post to the battery. Then I covered all the new exposed lead post with a heavy duty battery clamp.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Vincent, you guilted me into doing some deferred e39 stuff.
My roof rail paint had started to degrade a couple of years ago so I bought some Ebay paint to have a go at redoing them myself.

Peeling rails.

Sanding them down.

Ebay paint

I was very impressed with the color match. This pic was taken before clear coat.

I ordered six clips but I only ended up breaking one.

Rear window rubber trim on order and R/R window regulator to go in next.

cek

Post by cek »

Washed Helga, the 2010 Q7 TDi we love that will get sent to the crusher at any moment (because VW/Audi f*cked me with #dieselgate). She was quite dirty because the 'kids' have been using her for camping. She came back from Utah as a puppy transporter and I'll be driving her back there before ski season...

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Karl Grau wrote: Sep 07, 2020 9:45 PM Vincent, you guilted me into doing some deferred e39 stuff.
My roof rail paint had started to degrade a couple of years ago so I bought some Ebay paint to have a go at redoing them myself.
Peeling rails.
I wish it were just my roof rails, I have a small dessert size plate on my roof that has lost its' clear coat and is currently looking Leprosy-like at the moment :(. I'm going to look into having the roof re-shot since you can kind of do that with an E39 (thanks to those roof rails).

I didn't get to The Hangar this weekend due to unbelievable record temperatures Saturday and Sunday; it was likely about 114 but maybe more. All I know for sure is that it was the hottest it has ever been at my house (which was unbearable even with a room AC in the office). So my E39 Rear Window Shade upgrade was put on pause until this coming weekend.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

vinceg101 wrote: Sep 08, 2020 11:18 AMI didn't get to The Hangar this weekend due to unbelievable record temperatures Saturday and Sunday
I hear you. Other than the sanding and base coat, I got nothing else done. I hid out in the one air conditioned room I have. I'm starting to get a backlog of projects but we have the rest of September and then Santa Ana season through October and probably half of November still to go. :x

BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

I paid off the audi s4 today.

3 weeks ago i was rear ended, 11k in damage. hired a private appraiser to help fight the battle and ended up with a settlement of a little more than I probably would have been able to sell it for. but i paid it off and the settlement will come soon. then its getting sold to a close friend to either be fixed or parted out.

RIP
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

My wife's Honda CR-V gets no love.
Started doing something that's been on my list for some time: Cleaning the interior. I mean REALLY cleaning.
Being that we no longer have ANY car events this year (SoCal Vintage finally called it last week), I guess I had to channel all that anal retentiveness somewhere so my wife's car gets the benefit.
Started with the rear seats trying to eradicate 16 years of happy dog memories along with plants, lumber, dirt, sand, etc.:

Now I have just the rest of the entire car to do; that should keep my inner ADD personality happily fed.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

I put a new battery in the CJ3B. Had to have been 12 years old. Cable terminals were shot, so cables got replaced also. Was easier than working on the lawn mower