What did you do to your other car(s) today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
1st 5er

Re: What did you do to your other car(s) today?

Post by 1st 5er »

:wave:

Drove ElJeepO back from FredNeck Acres.
Das_Prachtstrasse

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

I spent a bit of time on the e12. Fixed the flat spot at part throttle by removing some material from the AFM door. The bearings have worn and it was contacting the housing mid sweep. The car runs brilliantly now, so much so that on the victory drive I snapped 2nd and axle tramped so hard the exhaust broke all it’s rubber hangers and snapped off just before the resonator. It is a great car though. The more I get to know it the more I love it.

Not going to love sourcing a new exhaust though..
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Das_Prachtstrasse wrote:I spent a bit of time on the e12. Fixed the flat spot at part throttle by removing some material from the AFM door. The bearings have worn and it was contacting the housing mid sweep. The car runs brilliantly now, so much so that on the victory drive I snapped 2nd and axle tramped so hard the exhaust broke all it’s rubber hangers and snapped off just before the resonator. It is a great car though. The more I get to know it the more I love it.

Not going to love sourcing a new exhaust though..
:laugh: Gotta luv dat powa!!! :laugh:
RonW

Post by RonW »

Got my 4th generation iPod to work through my 325Ci's Business CD with a Dice iPod interface. Am I cool now?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

RonW wrote:Got my 4th generation iPod to work through my 325Ci's Business CD with a Dice iPod interface. Am I cool now?
Not cool, way cool. :bow:

I've thought about trying to get the aux input to work on the wife's E39, it's a replacement stereo that is supposed to have that capability, but it's her car and she's not really interested in it. Which makes it real easy to ignore. :D
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Mike W. wrote:I've thought about trying to get the aux input to work on the wife's E39, it's a replacement stereo that is supposed to have that capability, but it's her car and she's not really interested in it. Which makes it real easy to ignore. :D
I added the factory AUX kit to my 05/2003 530i prior to the beach trip last summer. Easy, if I could do it! You have to move a pair of wires/pins to the replacement connector. All set now with AM, FM, in-dash CD, trunk CD changer & AUX to run my long adapter iPod Touch (5 days worth of tunes on it).
Fedaykin528e

Post by Fedaykin528e »

The 633 is now sitting on the street sans-injectors while they're serviced by Rich at Cruzin' Performance. Thought I could just swap in some B34 injectors, and quickly learned that that is ill advised. So, there she sits.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Fedaykin528e wrote:The 633 is now sitting on the street sans-injectors while they're serviced by Rich at Cruzin' Performance. Thought I could just swap in some B34 injectors, and quickly learned that that is ill advised. So, there she sits.
Aside from the fact that it would probably barely run due to different flow rates, that's actually ok. That ECU doesn't care if the injectors are high impedance (resistance), it's when you go lower and increase current draw it's a problem.
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Itching to do something with the "other" cars, or even the e28.... but, the virus has curtailed everything. Can't get the plates and reg for the '02 (DMV is closed); can't work on the '02 as it's at shop and lock in; can't get two cars that are in storage in NH (they're closed), can get at the two cars that are in my garage here in NY, and so I put the NY plates on them the other day (that I got in Jan before heading to FL), but they are not inspected yet (need stickers)... so, been doing a little extra detailing :) Boring!! Need to, want to, must DRIVE!!! :)

Hoping things will improve for the country and some degree of normalcy will return soon... maybe May?? Meanwhile, hope you are all safe and healthy. Bless you.

-RoyW
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

When I bought my Mark VII I was told the evaporator in the dash was bad. Came with new parts. I started to prep for dash removal to change it before I realized I hadn't actually confirmed the diagnosis. Pulled vacuum and it held overnight. Charged it with propane and I'll see if the interior stinks in a few days.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

gadget73 wrote:When I bought my Mark VII I was told the evaporator in the dash was bad. Came with new parts. I started to prep for dash removal to change it before I realized I hadn't actually confirmed the diagnosis. Pulled vacuum and it held overnight. Charged it with propane and I'll see if the interior stinks in a few days.

Hope you're not, or don't have passengers who are :pimp: .
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

it has been and shall remain a non-smoking car, and not just because of the explodo-mix in the AC system :)
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

new window channel felts in the Continental. Originals had gone rock hard and shattered, leaving a gap in the rear window right near my ear. The whistle was very annoying. When your leaky window seals make more whine than the turbo does, its time to fix that.
Fedaykin528e

Post by Fedaykin528e »

Dropped a pintle cap down the intake. :brickwall:
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Since staying at home and now into my seventh week, none of my vehicles have been driven during that time. Today I hooked up my stock of Battery Tenders to the 3 of the 6 of them that were not already connected. That meant pirating the battery maintainers from my tractor, my equipment trailer winch, and my house generator batteries.

As the lock down continues I’ll need to work out a rotation schedule for all the batteries to keep them maintained, or order a few more maintainers on Amazon.

Checked with my auto insurance company about a discount because of no driving and they offered a 15 percent rebate of premiums for the past 2 months.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Not today, but a couple weekends ago, discovered that one of the rear calipers on the Lexus wasn't calipering, so it got a pair of new brake calipers on the back, got all four rotors turned, and new pads all around. Not a terrible job, but not one I want to do again any time soon.

We've been driving that thing (or rather my wife has been driving that thing) for almost three years now. We bought it with zero maintenance history on it, so I have no idea when the timing belt was changed. I looked into what that job looked like a while back, and decided I'd rather not spend a weekend (plus) on it, so had a mechanic friend take care of it for us. He got it done in a day, and I was able to do a little something help support his business. His shop was pretty quiet the week before that, so he appreciated the business. And my wife appreciated not listening to me complain about the job. :cool:
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Uncovered the '02 530i M-sport 5-speed, checked the tire pressure, unplugged the charger, checked the oil, and drove it into town to get it inspected. Hadn't been driven since Oktoberfest in SC and that was most of the 1,100 miles it has traveled since the last inspection in February '99. 84,000 miles on it now. I keep the miles down so it can last me the rest of my life as my daily-driver after I retire the E28 and E34.

Then I checked tires on my wife's 128i. It hadn't been washed since we bought it back in August :oops: so I took care of that, too. Thank goodness it's Alpine White! The E39 is Jet Black and there's nothing harder to keep clean, or even wash.

Oh yeah, I topped up the tires in the R1150RS in anticipation. That's exciting!

So, nothing big but it was my day off. I'm still, apparently, considered "essential". Today's corporate order was—instead of prohibiting us from wearing masks at work—now they've sent us masks and told us we have to wear them all the time under threat of disciplinary action. I'm sure this new action is an attempt to keep car sales open during the pandemic so they don't have to pay our unemployment. :dunno:
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

RetiredDoc wrote:Since staying at home and now into my seventh week, none of my vehicles have been driven during that time. Today I hooked up my stock of Battery Tenders to the 3 of the 6 of them that were not already connected. That meant pirating the battery maintainers from my tractor, my equipment trailer winch, and my house generator batteries.

As the lock down continues I’ll need to work out a rotation schedule for all the batteries to keep them maintained, or order a few more maintainers on Amazon.

Checked with my auto insurance company about a discount because of no driving and they offered a 15 percent rebate of premiums for the past 2 months.
Sounds pretty familiar. :( Itching to get out there, but staying prudent.

-RoyW
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

changed the struts on the Mark VII because I thought that was the front end clunk. The one on the driver's side had a slight amount of detectable slop between the shaft and the body. Nothing I could find on the passenger side. New struts went on, now its obvious it was the mounts. Must have had the jack touching the tire on the passenger side when I checked before but there is obvious and noticeable slop in the mount. Annoying, but since the noise sounded like it was coming from the passenger side anyway it makes sense.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Showed a little love to the (long) neglected Honda CR-V:
-Oil Service
-Tire Rotation
-Partial Tune-Up (finishing it up next weekend)
I think I am going to have to include some gasket/O-Ring replacements, likely Valve Cover and Spark Plugs (there is oil inside the plug wells :( )

Oh, and a much needed bath and vacuuming.
NewpjobLINYacts238

Post by NewpjobLINYacts238 »

First time on here...e28 needs new suspension...wondering if i should do lowering springs and sport shocks...or go the hard route and so coil overs...price comparison is also there. Any suggestions ? Thanks
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

NewpjobLINYacts238 wrote:First time on here...e28 needs new suspension...wondering if i should do lowering springs and sport shocks...or go the hard route and so coil overs...price comparison is also there. Any suggestions ? Thanks
This is the "your non-e28" thread". :cool:

You should start your own thread about "your e28" and come back here to post about "your non-e28" projects. ;)
rochareels

Post by rochareels »

Everyone gets a bath. Gave a good Corona scrubbing and polishing to my bug. The '97 Camry got a bath too. Nobody wants to see that. :laugh: The Big Bird that's under the covers, maybe today. Image68 VW Beetle by rochareels, on Flickr
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Blacked out the trunk badges.

gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

new strut mounts installed, rattle is gone. Third set in 60k. Original mounts were replaced at 170k. Pretty sure the reason the big Lincolns ran unique strut mounts is they are heavier than the rest of the cars built on that chassis. Aftermarket mounts give me what was designed for a car 1000 lbs lighter.