What did you do to your other car(s) today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
amagansa

Re: What did you do to your other car(s) today?

Post by amagansa »

Drove up to Newcastle with my buddy to buy what might be one of the last surviving Oldsmobile Silhouettes. Yes, the dustbuster looking one. It needs a bumper, radiator and a few other minor things, but this one has been pretty well taken care of. Yes, we are idiots. But it was 400 dollars for a well taken care of, low (98k) mileage, Buick 3.8 powered, fully optioned family van from the 90s. Best case scenario we fix it up and have a sweet time capsule. Worst case, I put a radiator in it and drive it til registration expires, or 24 Hours of Lemons :D
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

subaru is at the dealership to have the airbag recall completed from the second time (they replaced all the defective airbags with equally defective airbags) and also to have a blend door replaced. not interested in doing that myself. also picking up a new cobb accessport for it since my old version had the screen go bad and they dont offer support so its a paper weight at this point.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

BDKawey wrote: Sep 29, 2020 11:34 AMsubaru is at the dealership to have the airbag recall completed from the second time (they replaced all the defective airbags with equally defective airbags)
BMW did the same thing with the E46.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

The replacements weren't also from Takata were they?
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

gadget73 wrote: Sep 30, 2020 8:33 AM The replacements weren't also from Takata were they?
I do believe that they did replace the takata bags with takata bags, i imagine that this new one again will be takata
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Third time's the charm hopefully?
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Continuing the Rear Window Shade and related weatherproofing issues for the E39:
Spent about 3 hours removing the old Butyl adhesive/weatherproofing from just one door. If you've not worked with it, it's pretty nasty stuff. It took me a while experimenting with various methods and chemicals (save yourselves some time: heat gunning does NOT work neither does lacquer thinner). I suspect straight acetone will but I didn't have any and couldn't find any on the shelves. I only had very little of 3M Specialty Adhesive Remover in liquid and some of the regular Remover in aerosol; that's the ticket. Be prepared to lose some skin on your fingertips.

Spent the rest of the afternoon putting the left door back together (including installing new Butyl adhesive tape to the vapor barrier so at least it won't leak this winter; maybe) with the new replacement door panel with integrated sun shade. Still not right and will have to pull the panel off (again) and figure out the top panel clips as well as how BMW expects you to attach the shade hooks on the window trim.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

I've used mineral spirits on butyl before. Slow and messy but it does work if you scrape the big chunks off first.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

gadget73 wrote: Oct 19, 2020 8:04 AM I've used mineral spirits on butyl before. Slow and messy but it does work if you scrape the big chunks off first.
Removing as much as possible with a plastic scrapper/blade is the key. I knew Acetone would have done the trick but I didn't have access to any on Saturday (at least not easily). I'm picking up the 3M remover this week and back at it on the right door this weekend.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Finally finished the rear doors over the weekend:

I stumbled my way through this install as I did not find a technical bulletin for the installation procedure (I didn't look too hard, truthfully). I pieced it all together through the parts diagrams and good 'ole Google & YouTube searches.

I also replaced the Vavona wood trim as many of the original pieces were very faded and cracked (that's what the tape is about on the door panel).

Now if I can only find these for the E28...
jca

Post by jca »

Wife and I took our E 21 out for an Italian tuneup, driving to a small town not far from home. Felt good to get out of the house during this COVID time.
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Flushed the heater core in the Continental and made a restrictor to try to force more coolant flow through the core. Used a bit of scrap aluminum bar and basically made a 3/4 x 5/8 step bushing with a 1/4" hole through the middle of it. Nothing elaborate but it seems to have helped a bit.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Yesterday was oil change day; got the F150 and the e34 done. That meant I got to add to my O-ring & crush washer collection. (Does anybody else do that? ;) )

Also swapped out the power steering reservoir/filter on the e34 and put the winter tires on it. The e34 is my youngest son's car, so I rarely touch it, and it's a discouragement when I do. The car just keeps losing weight via rust, and the "needs" list on that thing just keeps growing... but my son has really become attached to the car. I hate the thought of dumping a bunch of money and work into tires & suspension bits with it deteriorating the way it does.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

cleaned out the inside of my subaru, husky dog life is ruff. hair everyyyywhere
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

A couple weeks ago I replaced the Isuzu's clogged radiator. Over the weekend I replaced the front shocks. I tried to do the rear as well, but the upper nuts were so badly rusted that they're never coming off. Waiting for some carbide-tipped bi-metal blades to arrive so I can finish the job...

Here's the crusty old front shocks:
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

BDKawey wrote: Nov 16, 2020 8:15 AM cleaned out the inside of my subaru, husky dog life is ruff. hair everyyyywhere
German Shepherd owner, here - can relate.

replaced the battery and alternator (water cooled, $500) on my M62 powered Range Rover yesterday. buy a Range Rover, they said - it'll be fun, they said.
duggi

Post by duggi »

I'm neck-deep in a 1968 2000 NK restoration...today more parts came. I'm drowning :laugh:

Video of all the parts: http://img.duggi.net/825225AD-FCAA-4932 ... 6CEF56.MOV
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

davintosh wrote: Nov 15, 2020 11:45 PM Yesterday was oil change day; got the F150 and the e34 done. That meant I got to add to my O-ring & crush washer collection. (Does anybody else do that? ;) )

No, I don't do it. But I think the insurance company was dumbfounded when they lowballed me after my first E12 was rear ended. They wanted records? I sent them, and asked how many had records of the last 24 oil changes.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

duggi wrote: Nov 20, 2020 9:39 PM I'm neck-deep in a 1968 2000 NK restoration...today more parts came. I'm drowning :laugh:

Video of all the parts: http://img.duggi.net/825225AD-FCAA-4932 ... 6CEF56.MOV
my mentor had a concours condition, 28k mile, '67 2000ca (coupe). i really should have bought that car. such an oddball car, but very cool in its own right. best of luck with your project.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

duggi wrote: Nov 20, 2020 9:39 PM I'm neck-deep in a 1968 2000 NK restoration...today more parts came. I'm drowning :laugh:

Dang... You're a brave man!
duggi

Post by duggi »

austin8753 wrote: Nov 20, 2020 9:58 PM my mentor had a concours condition, 28k mile, '67 2000ca (coupe). i really should have bought that car. such an oddball car, but very cool in its own right. best of luck with your project.
I bet that was a gorgeous car. The coupes are definitely funky in a lot of ways. Thank you!
davintosh wrote: Nov 20, 2020 10:19 PM Dang... You're a brave man!
Ha! My mom always taught me that anything worth having is hard work. I'm definitely learning that with this one. :laugh:
cek

Post by cek »

Technically, it's not my car. But if the stars align it may be in my family some day (it is my daughter's boyfriend's boss's car).

1991 Carrera 4 - Amazongrun-pearlcolor. About 90k miles. Before we started it was a hot mess. Rode hard and put away wet.

Full paint correction and interior deep clean. Leif did almost all the work; I just showed him the ropes.

Here's a video of the unveiling (of course it was raining when we finished).

https://youtu.be/hI5hRXIROik

Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

cek wrote: Nov 22, 2020 7:03 PM
Sweet looking car, I have a sweet spot for the aircooled 911s.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

cek wrote: Nov 22, 2020 7:03 PM Image
a/d/s/ 300i (?) Noice.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Those who are familiar with e30s know that it's just about impossible to properly vacuum the carpet under the seat and between it and the console, without simply taking the seat out of the car. So, I took advantage of a pleasant late November day (50 degrees in Minneapolis) and did that.

I figured I'd find a bunch of change, but there was only a single penny underneath there. :)