What out of the ordinary cars did you see today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
1st 5er

Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today?

Post by 1st 5er »

:wave:
BuzzBomb wrote:Image
Anybody know what a Pitot Tube is? Ever seen one on a car? Extra points if you know what car my friend has in his garage. Hint: that red car next to it is the Hellbug. Google that shit.
Yes, but, #donotbroadcast :rofl:
Philo

Post by Philo »

Sounds like a friggin jet fighter.. What the heck does this guy do for a living ! And why are you his neighbor ? kidding :)

Looks like a fun event.
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Google tells me it's a Bugatti Vision GT, owned by Hezy Shaked, the founder of fashion retailer Tilly's. https://teamspeed.com/articles/the-bada ... sunset-gt/
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

I saw a nice e38 7401 sport this morning on the way to work. Those cars used to be relatively common, but I guess they are approaching 20 years old. I was struck again by how handsome they are - in my opinion one of the last really good looking BMWs.
BuzzBomb

Post by BuzzBomb »

Eh. I said too much. Said too much.
RonW

Post by RonW »

A DMC DeLorean. Looked like every other DMC DeLorean.

Also a red 1960 Fiat Pininfarina Cabriolet, in mint condition.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

At the local Home Depot. Saw it on the road but no time for a shot, then he parked next to me. I tried to express enthusiasm, but he wasn't really interested. Not quite rude, but didn't want to talk. Whatever, when was the last time you saw not just an AMC Pacer, but with Whitewalls!

dsw99a

Post by dsw99a »

Nice! And whitewalls to boot!! Is that the owner in the background? He doent look super happy, like hes almost ready to run off. Ha!
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Mike W. wrote:Whatever, when was the last time you saw not just an AMC Pacer, but with Whitewalls!
Don't think I ever saw one without whitewalls. :)
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

Mike W. wrote:At the local Home Depot. Saw it on the road but no time for a shot, then he parked next to me. I tried to express enthusiasm, but he wasn't really interested. Not quite rude, but didn't want to talk. Whatever, when was the last time you saw not just an AMC Pacer, but with Whitewalls!
Thing is in great shape. Did it seem to be a restoration or a time capsule?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

HayekFan wrote:
Mike W. wrote:At the local Home Depot. Saw it on the road but no time for a shot, then he parked next to me. I tried to express enthusiasm, but he wasn't really interested. Not quite rude, but didn't want to talk. Whatever, when was the last time you saw not just an AMC Pacer, but with Whitewalls!
Looked original. I think I saw paint worn thru to primer in a couple of small spots, but I'm not positive. The driver was odd, very disinterested. Kind of like I was bothering him by commenting on it to him.
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

Mike W. wrote:
HayekFan wrote:
Looked original. I think I saw paint worn thru to primer in a couple of small spots, but I'm not positive. The driver was odd, very disinterested. Kind of like I was bothering him by commenting on it to him.
That's too bad because it would've been interesting to hear about the car's history. I guess he probably gets lots of comments and at this point is "saturated" -- kind of like Elvis being asked for an autograph.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

HayekFan wrote:
Mike W. wrote:
HayekFan wrote:
That's too bad because it would've been interesting to hear about the car's history. I guess he probably gets lots of comments and at this point is "saturated" -- kind of like Elvis being asked for an autograph.
It is kinda odd all the way around. I cannot say that I have ever seen such care given to an uncelebrated car. Although it does have several neat design elements (love the back side windows!).
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

I don't know what model Volvo this is, but I was glimpsing at it all day yesterday. Just said "Coupe" on the rear.

Also, today was the monthly (or bimonthly?) local Porsche meet. About 15 or so cars. I don't think it was 911 specific, but that was most of them. Where's the front engine Porsche love?
Bert-Ola

Post by Bert-Ola »

amagansa wrote:I don't know what model Volvo this is, but I was glimpsing at it all day yesterday. Just said "Coupe" on the rear.
I think it is Volvo 780.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

Bert-Ola wrote:
amagansa wrote:I don't know what model Volvo this is, but I was glimpsing at it all day yesterday. Just said "Coupe" on the rear.
I think it is Volvo 780.
Yep. The 262C Bertone coupe was cool - a college buddy had one.

HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

Bonsaibacker wrote:
HayekFan wrote:
Mike W. wrote:
HayekFan wrote:
It is kinda odd all the way around. I cannot say that I have ever seen such care given to an uncelebrated car. Although it does have several neat design elements (love the back side windows!).
Well, the AMC Pacer became celebrated (sorta) after being featured in that Wayne's World movie scene. Granted it was an ironic sort of celebration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMdgOF0e-lI
sail_or_drive

Post by sail_or_drive »

Visited a friend in Germany. The Car-Park under the building:

I did not know that MG was a going concern:

Lots of small hatch/wagon/estate types of cars, this one an Audi A1, somewhat smaller than the X1. There was a BMW 318D (I think) that looked like a mini-mini-van ala the Mazda 5.

I suppose that the Swedes need hearses as well, this one converted to a AC/DC tribute. Outside the village where the MG was parked.

e9coupe

Post by e9coupe »

Saw a four-door Skyline earlier this week. Wasn't sure what it was so I had to look it up. Looked exactly like this car, same color and all... The driver being on the right threw me off for a second as he passed.

davintosh

Post by davintosh »

I didn't catch a photo, but saw a Lava Green i8 just outside of Harrisburg, SD, today. Not the first one I've seen in the wild, but the first one in the local area.

And Harrisburg? :shock:
a

Post by a »

Love that 2 CV. I had to google i8 . Shows you how far I'm removed from 21st century BMWs . :laugh:
amagansa

Post by amagansa »

Yesterday I came across a convoy of Datsun 510s and some 520s on the freeway. Looks like they were headed north to Sac.

Today I saw this. No idea what it is. But any reasonably good condition car with blue plates gets my attention. Anyone know what this is?

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

amagansa wrote:Yesterday I came across a convoy of Datsun 510s and some 520s on the freeway. Looks like they were headed north to Sac.

Today I saw this. No idea what it is. But any reasonably good condition car with blue plates gets my attention. Anyone know what this is?

Fourth Generation Dodge Colt/Plymouth Champ (1979-1984). Made by Mitsubishi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Colt

Pretty typical sub-par crap coming out of Detroit at that time. Really surprised to see that still on the road but I guess since it's really a Mitsubishi might account for it.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

amagansa wrote:Yesterday I came across a convoy of Datsun 510s and some 520s on the freeway. Looks like they were headed north to Sac.

I had one of them for a bit. Humble, but not a bad little car. Best thing about it was the 8 speed tranny. Technically a 4 speed with an OD lever that worked on all gears. Made the most out of the little 1400, I'd go 1st low, 2nd low, 2nd high, 3rd low, then the top 3 were all about the same. :laugh:
Tulsa6

Post by Tulsa6 »

My family had a Dodge Colt in the 80's and we could not get a new cap and rotor for it that didn't cause it to misfire. It was a peppy little car, with good mileage, but once the sparks started jumping under the hood, it was decided to trade it in. Up to the point of it having the issue, it had been fine for a few months after it was purchased (used). I'm sure it was something that could have been resolved eventually, but that's my recollection of them.

With the quality issues in the current automotive parts market, it wouldn't surprise me to buy parts and have this problem, but back then, it was not expected and wasn't acceptable...