What out of the ordinary cars did you see today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
RossDinan6

Re: What out of the ordinary cars did you see today?

Post by RossDinan6 »

That is about a '55 or '56. I had a '58 panel way back when they were dirt cheap. My tail lights were a bit bigger if my cloudy memory serves.

My favorite transporter was a next gen form a Porsche shop on the FL east coast. the Fuchs were the give away of work having been done. I was told all the running gear from a 3 liter 911 had been swapped. Was also told it was scary.
a

Post by a »

Thank you K Grau. Hard to tell, IIRC the tail lights on Charley's '56 were the same as the flat glass ones on my '60 transporter. There was a cool looking 69 ish 'Ghia in the picks Thanks guys keep 'em coming. :cool:
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

We finally had a "warm" weekend here in Los Angeles (starting to think we wouldn't get one), and it seemed everyone at the airport dragged their toys out of cold, dark caves they've been hiding in.
This was out: 1969 Plymouth Barracuda 340 Formula S

Alas it was only an automatic.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Couldn't snap a picture of it (405, heavy traffic), but I think it was the first ever Sahara Beige E28 I've ever seen. 528e. Very nice condition, even if the driver was not paying attention.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Something I don't think I've ever seen before, a mid-late 60s, Chevy Van, the narrow one vaguely VW bus sized, jacked up with 4WD running gear under it. Well I didn't crawl under it to see since it was going the other way on the freeway so I'm kind of assuming 4WD, but vaguely like the pic, that body. Except not that clean, although it was dark red.

a

Post by a »

My BIL had a '65 SWB in navy blue and primer when he first started going with my sister :cool:
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

While getting the company car washed this morning. I think this is the first non-car show e28 I've seen in 3 or 4 years. The lady driving it said her parents bought in new in 1987 and its been in the family ever since.

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Over these past few weeks I have been making the trek up the coast and back along PCH through Malibu and see all sorts of strange cars:
First is a mid/late-'80's Toyota Van, Super Custom Limited, Turbo Diesel, RHD:

It wasn't moving very fast (hello: turbo diesel) so I had to stop, let it pass then caught up with them to snap this photo as I passed them (again).

Then last Friday while we were stuck in stopped traffic behind an accident, I looked over and saw this parked on the side of PCH:
1965-66 Pontiac airport/resort limo (either a Bonneville or Catalina):
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

vinceg101 wrote: Aug 10, 2022 4:18 PM Then last Friday while we were stuck in stopped traffic behind an accident, I looked over and saw this parked on the side of PCH:
1965-66 Pontiac airport/resort limo (either a Bonneville or Catalina):
Neat car! It's a 1966 Catalina, most likely a conversion by Armbruster Stageway.

Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Reminds me of this one I posted 10 years ago on page 22. :D

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

stuartinmn wrote: Aug 10, 2022 6:42 PM
Neat car! It's a 1966 Catalina, most likely a conversion by Armbruster Stageway.

I found that in a Google search I did right after I posted that.
Wish I had been in a place where I could have parked and did a look-see. That thing was a beast, had to be over 25 feet long (flash on 'Jaws' dialog between Shaw and Dreyfus...).
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

Saw my first E28 in Nova Scotia since I came here in 2017 :shock: :D

This is quite out of the ordinary for Nova Scotia ;)

It was white LHD heading east on Hammonds Plains road approaching the Lucasville intersection on Saturday afternoon. Assumed to be returning from a Lions Club Show-and-shine event at Tantallon.

Best regards,

Mick
Solea

Post by Solea »

HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

Karl Grau wrote: Aug 10, 2022 8:14 PM Reminds me of this one I posted 10 years ago on page 22. :D

Quite the strange beast! Stroke of genius to base it on a front wheel drive Toronado so there's no drive shaft to deal with.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

No actual pics, it was going by on the other side of the freeway. But a (sort of BMW) Vixen. The motorhome. Caught my eye for some reason, then as I looked closer I saw how low the roofline was. And very boxy. I've given milliseconds of thought to buying one and transplanting a M54B30 in it, doubling HP, but probably less than actual full seconds as for starters they're expensive. Looked something like the pic, including blue.