What did you do to your E28 today?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
amagansa

Re: What did you do to your E28 today?

Post by amagansa »

Replaced thrust arms and control arms, a job which would have been exponentially easier if I had a two post lift. Preloaded, loctite, all that jazz. Just waiting on tie rods to come in. Laying on my side, my foot holding one wrench while I pull on the torque wrench, strut housing in my face, yeah. Good times.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

the other day I covered the hole in the driveshaft tunnel from cutting the factory handbrake out.

today I drove it to work for the first time in years. also just ordered a new fuel sending unit gasket and longer e24 hood struts since mine are bent and junk. from FCP Euro with the lifetime warranty. only 12 bucks a piece for the hood struts.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Pulled my rear subframe yesterday. the harshness of a welded diff coupled with a period of time where my diff bolts had come a little loose cranked the frame on the lower diff mounting points. it will get stitched up and reinforced with condor plates.

also threw on the e24 hood shocks and man, what a difference. a no brainer if yours need to be replaced Anyway.
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

I am waiting on parts for my 528e manual trans swap, so I threw in my M5 steering box, since I have the steering column out. Figured I would get ALL of the ATF out of the car at one time. I found a new p/s filter and enough new hoses to replace it all. Fuel hose is BMW, so that probably needs to be replaced. I swear the oil pan gasket was original. New gasket coming for that also. Also found a long tear in the throttle body boot. Probably a cause of an idle issue that is getting worse. Also installing Powerflex subframe bushings and might as well put in an LSD, while the driveshaft is out. Does it ever end? :laugh:
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Shift rod. Turns out the bushings and linkage are good --- I figured as much that when the PO did the new shift boot and such that he had those done. It was the motor mounts that did me in on the linkage I'll bet. I also forgot that we had done the guibo months ago because we happened to have one so now it's just down to the CSB that I'll get to in the next couple weeks as there is a mild shudder.

PS: We didn't drop shit except a few curse words LOL.... Country livin' we found a long u-shaped tool and just kept at it till we got the top circlips off.
https://www.facebook.com/KingCast/video ... 7385715632
HayekFan

Post by HayekFan »

Water pump. Minor coolant leak had been evading me but I finally caught the water pump in the act, leaking from the weep hole. Replaced it with a HEPU brand aftermarket pump. Straightforward job, used the Permatex 80019 non hardening sealant on the gasket.
sixseries

Post by sixseries »

Redid the color on the rear deck (carpet behind the rear seats). See below and after. It's lighter in the middle as the carpet was basically fully disintegrated in that area. Originally color is nutria (brown).

austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

drove my M5 to Redmond, WA, yesterday. my back is screaming at me, but the car did very well. this was the longest consecutive trip i've taken in the thing.
cek

Post by cek »

austin8753 wrote: Sep 28, 2020 12:03 PM drove my M5 to Redmond, WA, yesterday. my back is screaming at me, but the car did very well. this was the longest consecutive trip i've taken in the thing.
You should have reached out and stopped by!
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

dsmith wrote: Sep 07, 2020 9:43 PM I am waiting on parts for my 528e manual trans swap, so I threw in my M5 steering box, since I have the steering column out. Figured I would get ALL of the ATF out of the car at one time. I found a new p/s filter and enough new hoses to replace it all. Fuel hose is BMW, so that probably needs to be replaced. I swear the oil pan gasket was original. New gasket coming for that also. Also found a long tear in the throttle body boot. Probably a cause of an idle issue that is getting worse. Also installing Powerflex subframe bushings and might as well put in an LSD, while the driveshaft is out. Does it ever end? :laugh:
Well, completed yesterday, drives great, but massive trans leak from the rear. I replaced the shift shaft seal, so rear seal has been ordered. Super fun.
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

dsmith wrote: Sep 28, 2020 7:14 PM
dsmith wrote: Sep 07, 2020 9:43 PM I am waiting on parts for my 528e manual trans swap, so I threw in my M5 steering box, since I have the steering column out. Figured I would get ALL of the ATF out of the car at one time. I found a new p/s filter and enough new hoses to replace it all. Fuel hose is BMW, so that probably needs to be replaced. I swear the oil pan gasket was original. New gasket coming for that also. Also found a long tear in the throttle body boot. Probably a cause of an idle issue that is getting worse. Also installing Powerflex subframe bushings and might as well put in an LSD, while the driveshaft is out. Does it ever end? :laugh:
Well, completed yesterday, drives great, but massive trans leak from the rear. I replaced the shift shaft seal, so rear seal has been ordered. Super fun.
Replaced the shift shaft seal again and the rear trans seal and no leaks! Happy day. Just received my cheap leather shift boot and then I can call the conversion completed.
topher800

Post by topher800 »

It was 88F outside, so not blistering. AC was upgraded with Austin's kit
cbumga11

Post by cbumga11 »

Pulled sport seats, consoles and carpet out and vacuumed tired worn out deadening material and put new foam in. Replaced with new carpet. Pulled the dash which looked as if an IED had gone off inside. Started swapping out items onto new dash. Pics to come.
Philo

Post by Philo »

Took all 4 door cards off and cleaned/re-greased the runners and pivot points. Also greased hinges, no more squeaks.
sixseries

Post by sixseries »

cbumga11 wrote: Oct 16, 2020 5:35 PM Pulled sport seats, consoles and carpet out and vacuumed tired worn out deadening material and put new foam in. Replaced with new carpet. Pulled the dash which looked as if an IED had gone off inside. Started swapping out items onto new dash. Pics to come.
What did you use for the new foam and how did you install it? When I pulled my carpet, it seemed like the carpet and foam were one piece
cek

Post by cek »

Rhetorical question.
sixseries

Post by sixseries »

Resprayed those weird carpet inserts on our door cards, and I really like how it turned out. Was super easy to do too. Just used SEM Color Coat spray paint that's made for carpet, viny, etc. Similar to what I did for the rear deck.

BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

sixseries wrote: Oct 20, 2020 12:52 AM Resprayed those weird carpet inserts on our door cards, and I really like how it turned out. Was super easy to do too. Just used SEM Color Coat spray paint that's made for carpet, viny, etc. Similar to what I did for the rear deck.
nice little cheap improvement!
cbumga11

Post by cbumga11 »

sixseries wrote: Oct 19, 2020 3:31 PM
cbumga11 wrote: Oct 16, 2020 5:35 PM Pulled sport seats, consoles and carpet out and vacuumed tired worn out deadening material and put new foam in. Replaced with new carpet. Pulled the dash which looked as if an IED had gone off inside. Started swapping out items onto new dash. Pics to come.
What did you use for the new foam and how did you install it? When I pulled my carpet, it seemed like the carpet and foam were one piece
I used a sound proofing material similar, Kilmat 80m. My carpet was an older, non-carpeted back. I'm a little disappointed because it does not fit perfectly. Seeing as how its an OEM carpet, I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong, but its not fitting onto the door and foot dead pedal areas like i'd like.
funkycharms

Post by funkycharms »

I heard my horn for the first time in my 2 years of ownership. Yesterday morning I heard it buzzing randomly out the blue so I pulled the battery. The car came with an aftermarket steering wheel and an inoperable horn button.
Gary Collins

Post by Gary Collins »

Rebuilt my AFM ..!! Much better -
We need a drive soon ...!!!
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Got the registration renewal last week:

So long, 2020!
(Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out)
Zeuropa

Post by Zeuropa »

Today I replaced the "window guide" rubber in my passenger rear door. I snagged the apparently NLA part off a junk yard car a few weeks ago. The one in my car was badly cracked due to sun damage. The junk yard part is in remarkable shape, considering it is probably original too. Anyway, swapping the guide was also remarkably easy and rewarding. I think I paid $6 for the part. I have new guides for the other 3 doors & I think I've spent $300 combined for them. I'm pretty sure putting them in won't be quite as satisfying...

Happy Holidays y'all
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

vinceg101 wrote: Nov 05, 2020 11:49 AM Got the registration renewal last week:

So long, 2020!
(Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out)
Cool. You've been talking about this for some time haven't you? Wondering if it will bring the rumored lack of required biannual smog test. Regardless, looks good, albeit not quite as good as the euro plate underneath.

Diverging a bit... I remember when I was in college and a cousin bought a '47 Cadillac. Nice car, good to very good condition. At the time it was 25 years old and therefore considered an antique car. It was neat, but it was clearly old. He made a couple of trips of several hundred miles in it and made it home, but there would have been no thought of going cross country in it. Contrast that to E28s with an average age now of 35. Sure, they're not new, but a well sorted, and I don't mean pristine low mileage or fully restored, just in good shape, would not give me a moments pause about a cross country trip. Or the return trip. OK, the front end might start to shimmy, but oil or coolant shouldn't be a problem, except maybe a quart of oil, even 6K miles, and if it was the check control would let you know.

Cars are profoundly better and longer lasting than they used to be, but how many people would be comfortable in any pre 2010 car cross country. And back? Hell, probably pre 2015 would have most people cars at their limit, comfort wise.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Mike W. wrote: Dec 13, 2020 12:01 AM Cool. You've been talking about this for some time haven't you? Wondering if it will bring the rumored lack of required biannual smog test. Regardless, looks good, albeit not quite as good as the euro plate underneath.
I actually did the plate switch back in 2014: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122801&hilit=historic+plates
While it did allow me to stay under the CA DMV's radar for quite a few years (almost 6), they finally caught up with me for the 2020 renewal. I guess this was a precursor of what 2020 had in store for us.
So after some consternation about alternate registration options, I broke down and created a compliant exhaust & emissions system consisting of my old exhaust system, a new DEC Cat I had in storage, a new O2 sensor, charcoal canister (for visuals only), and an 059 ECU that goes in for the SMOG test, then promptly comes out. The exhaust system hangs from the ceiling of The Hangar waiting for the next time I need it.
It's still not a full-proof method since (supposedly) the CHP is performing rolling emissions tests at their discretion at the behest of the DMV; these plates might start to feel like a target. But I am less concerned around Los Angeles as the CHP has WAAYY more to worry about.

I will see what next November's renewal notice brings and what my plan of action will be.